Monday, April 10, 2023

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday # MMGM Book Review: Unicorn Island: Beyond the Portal by Donna Galanti

 

In the final book in this series, Sam is tying to distract herself now that she knows her mother disappeared through a portal on Unicorn Island ten years ago. Could her mother still be alive? It’s consuming all her thoughts, so she decides to learn everything she can about her new role as a unicorn protector. With the help of her friend, Tuck, she explores a book and uncovers a hidden code, explaining more about the portal. Sam and Tuck know going through the portal would be extremely dangerous, and they also know neither of their parents would allow it. But, they can’t resist the urge to find out more. How else will they know if Sam‘s mother is still alive. They decide to go through the portal, with Barloc (a unicorn) as their guide. They all know it is dangerous to bring a unicorn through the portal, because the portal was created years ago to save the unicorns who were being hunted in another world. What if they are still being hunted today? Is Sam‘s mother still alive, and if she is will they even be able to find her? Once they go through the portal will they be able to get back? 

It’s always a good feeling when the final book in a series or trilogy wraps everything up. Unicorn Island: Beyond the Portal does just that! I was so happy that all my questions were answered by the end of the story. I liked seeing the way Sam grew as a character from when we first met her. I’m glad she has such a good friend in Tuck. They help each other come to conclusions and decisions, each bringing something different to their friendship. This book will be a huge hit with anyone who likes unicorns, adventures, or other worlds. I would recommend this book to kids in second grade and up. I think it’s awesome that the series can be found online on Epic Books for kids and it’s available in hardcover. My copy is beautiful, and I love the illustrations. They are bright and colorful! Having them periodically throughout the book was an additional treat to look forward to while I was reading. The three books in this series have been a fun adventure! Although this series may be over, I’m looking forward to the next book by Donna Galanti.

Has anyone else read Unicorn Island: Beyond the Portal? Or have you read another book by Donna Galanti? We’d love to hear your thoughts.

Happy Reading!
L




For other MMGM posts, please visit Greg Pattridge's blog.

32 comments:

  1. Welcome back. I have missed you. I haven't read this series - and would love to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! I love writing about magic in the real world--because I want to believe it exists :)

      Delete
    2. EC- Thanks! It is great to be back and visiting blogs too. Missed you as well! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so very much for reading and reviewing Beyond the Portal! I'm so glad the end of the series was a good read for you. :) I agree, the illustrations by Bethany Stancliffe really add to the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- We are thrilled to help you spread the word on this latest release! We are so happy for you. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm really glad to hear the last book in this series is so satisfying. Not all authors are talented enough to write a good last book that wraps things up. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie--and for always being a great supporter! I hope you enjoy the end of the series.

      Delete
  4. Good to hear it wraps up all loose ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- It is always nice when a series ends with everything wrapped up. ;)

      Delete
  5. I so enjoyed reading this too. Getting all my questions answered and like you mentioned, seeing Sam grow as a character. Happy MMGM to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, thanks Brenda! It was fun to write their character arcs as well.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed the final book in the series as much as I did. Yes, the illustrations are great and go well with the excellent story line. Thanks for being a part of MMGM today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg- Thanks for organizing MMGM. You are the best! So fun we reviewed the same book. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm looking forward to reading books 2 and 3 (really enjoyed book1). Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valinora- I hope you enjoy the rest of the series just as much. :)

      Delete
  8. I do think our grand-daughter would enjoy these books.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan- It is a fun series! Perfect for any reluctant readers and unicorn fans. :)

      Delete
  9. It's great to hear this second vote for this series, after encountering it on Greg's blog! I love that you both enjoyed it so much, and am happy to hear the series stayed strong. I'm adding it to my TBR pile. Thanks for the recommendation and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne- It was so fun finding out we both reviewed the same book. Definitely recommend this series. :) Hope you had a wonderful week too!

      Delete
  10. That sounds great. I love unicorns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds fun. Thanks for the review.

    And thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Armchair Squid- You are welcome! :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds great. Thanks for posting link to review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nas- It's a fun story. Glad you enjoyed the review. :)

      Delete
  13. Congratulations to the author. Sounds like a good book ending the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great ending to a fun series!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget