Monday, April 4, 2022

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday # MMGM Book Review: Unicorn Island: Secret Beneath the Sand by Donna Galanti


In volume 2 of the series, twelve year old Samantha Sea Wells is amazed at how much her life has changed since she arrived at Foggy Harbor. Once she discovered that unicorns are real, she feels happier and more at home. After their last adventure on Unicorn Island, she and her new friend, Tuck, are learning to be unicorn protectors. How lucky are they! Sam is happy to have the time with Uncle Mitch learning all she needs to know to keep the unicorns safe. It's even better spending time on the island and learning about unicorns with a friend. But when the unicorns' horns start shrinking, real danger erases the comfort and joy Sam has been experiencing. What is causing their horns to shrink? Will the unicorns still have their magic if their horns disappear? Is there anything that can be done to reverse the damage? Sam and Tuck don't have a lot of time to sort it all out. They need answers! You will have to read the second volume in the Unicorn Island series to find out what happens to the unicorns. 

Over the years I have read and loved many books by Donna Galanti. I read the first volume in the series about a year ago, so I was excited to catch up with Sam and Tuck and find out how things were going on Unicorn Island. I love the purple cover and the illustrations on the cover. It's really eye-catching and would make anyone want to pick it up and check it out. Like volume 1, there are color illustrations by Bethany Standcliffe throughout the book. The illustrations definitely make the story even more magical, and when I was done reading I went back and looked at all the pictures again. Just beautiful! I liked that Sam is feeling happier and more settled. You can tell by her behavior, and it was nice to see her enjoying herself more. It's great to see a character grow! Tuck is still an awesome friend, and I think his kindness makes him someone we'd all like to have in our corner. I was curious about the mystery and wondered if and how it would be solved. It is always a thrill to piece together clues along with characters. I think other kids would enjoy trying to solve the mystery too. What an experience it would be to see unicorns in person! I would recommend this book to anyone eight and up who loves magic, unicorns, mysteries, and adventure. I have enjoyed both volumes and hope there will be more in the series! 

Has anyone else read Unicorn Island: Secret Beneath the Sand? Or has anyone read anything else by Donna Galanti? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L

For other MMGM posts, please visit Greg Pattridge's blog.

36 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by this author - which I regret and will have to rectify. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With unicorns being so hugely popular this alone would make this a winner ... that it sounds like such great read with evolving characters and colourful illustrations makes me think these are books worth in investing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illustrations are truly beautiful- and unicorns are all the rage right now for sure! :)

      Delete
  3. I have the first book sitting in a (tall!) pile of books beside my bed, I might move it up after reading this review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valinora! I hope you enjoy the series. I love writing about magic set in the real world--because I like to think it exists in our world. :)

      Delete
  4. I remember you posting about the first book. Glad the second is just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- It is a fun and fast series for sure! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for reading and reviewing Secret Beneath the Sand! I also love the vibrant illustrations that Bethany Stancliffe created for the book. And I'd like to have Tuck as a friend in my corner, too. :) I can't wait to share the final book in the series, Beyond the Portal, coming out winter 2023! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- So happy to get to red this and to share it with our blog readers. So exciting that the final book will be out in 2023! :)

      Delete
  6. Another great book, even at my age I enjoy reading books for youngsters! Hugs, valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Valerie! I love forever being able to re-visit a middle grade world :)

      Delete
  7. This is a book on my list. I loved the first book and look forward to Sam and TUck's journey and the mystery they have to solve. Shrinking horns, that's a different twist! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, thanks so much! Glad you loved book 1 and hope you enjoy this as much (this 2nd book is my favorite :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, so many kids love unicorns this is sure to be a hit! It's also so great when friends support each other in stories. Thanks for letting me know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unicorns are definitely popular! I love seeing people help and support each other- in books and real life. :)

      Delete
  9. The Epic books are great for young readers, and I'm surprised at how many are familiar with the Epic web site. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've loved working with Epic to put out this series digitally as well as Andrews McMeel for the hardcover version. They are top-notch people to publish with!

      Delete
  10. I keep hearing about these books, so kids must be loving them. I'm not a fantasy reader, but you make them sounds enticing. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently read the first book in this series and am looking forward to reading this one. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Natalie! Glad you enjoyed the first book.

      Delete
  12. I've read and enjoyed Donna's books. They are great MG stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lee! So kind of you. I can say the same for your MG books as well!

      Delete
  13. Unicorns are so popular ... especially with our youngest grand-daughter :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds great. I love unicorns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wouldn't it be amazing to meet a real unicorn? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra- I have dreamt about it for years. :)

      Delete
  16. I haven't read that one but unicorn protector sounds like a terrific job!

    On another note, I picked up Sloth at the Zoom after reading your post a few weeks back. The little one I take care of loves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jemi- Yay! I am so glad to hear the little one you take care of loves Sloth at the Zoom. :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget