Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Margo's Musings: Why Would Crocs Eat Rocks?

Our family has been so excited to be able to visit our local library in person again. There is something magical about walking among all the books and seeing shiny covers beckoning you over.  The only hard part was narrowing down which books we would bring home with us this week. We've been reading a ton of great stories, but my little sister, Margo, has a favorite. The best part is, she likes to reread it together- but we don't need to reread every page, since it is a book full of facts. 


Eat Your Rocks, Croc! is written by Jess Keating and illustrated by Pete Oswald. It's a fascinating picture book filled with unique facts about animals from all over the world.  We are introduced to Dr. Sugar Glider on the opening pages, and we travel to different countries with them as they help animals solve some puzzling problems. Each page has a question for the doctor and then their explanation of the wild and weird. Did you know that crocodiles actually eat rocks? I had no idea before I read this book, but now I know why they eat them, and that they aren't the only animal that does! I love rocks, but I am glad I don't have to gobble them up to aid with my digestion.


The facts and the illustrations really work together in this book. I think the information could have been a little advanced for Margo, but the clever illustrations help make the facts easier to understand. Plus, my sister loves how bright and vibrant the pictures are throughout the book. There are lots of details and humor involved in the illustrations, which helps me to remember the information, and they make my sister laugh out loud. She can't get over a fish wearing a bib and having a fork and knife. I have to admit, the words and the pictures make the book fun and informative. The sidebars on the sides of each page add extra facts and scientific terms, which I really soaked up. 


I love learning new things and would recommend this book to people of all ages who enjoy discovering that the world around them is filled with animals that have unique capabilities and qualities. Plus, you will be able to amaze your friends and family with the cool facts you learned. I definitely plan to read more books by this author. 

Has anyone else read Eat Your Rocks, Croc? Or have you read another book written by Jess Keating or illustrated by Pete Oswald? We'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Happy Reading!
~F

24 comments:

  1. Learning AND fun? Definitely a winner. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC- I loved the facts- so many of them were surprising! :) ~F

      Delete
  2. Sounds good. As a kid I loved the smell of the books in the library, it was such a wonderful place to be! And I still like it today! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie- Libraries are truly magical places! :) ~F

      Delete
  3. Now that is a wonderful book for kids. I ate up any book on animals as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L. Diane Wolfe- They are fun and fascinating! :) ~F

      Delete
  4. I did not know that they had to eat rocks but now I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary- I thought it was amazing! Love learning fun facts. :) ~F

      Delete
  5. I love books like this that teach facts in a fun way. I will be checking it out. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- Books like this are so much fun. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :) ~F

      Delete
  6. This sounds like such a fascinating read! I didn't know that crocodiles eat rocks for digestion, and the sidebar about anglerfish on the page spread you shared was quite surprising as well! Thanks so much for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely Full Bookshelf- Aren't surprising facts the best! I love learning new things. :) ~F

      Delete
  7. Hi F - what fun ... I expect Margo will constantly return to the book to read more, or learn new things. So - crocodiles are like birds, who need pebbles/stones for their digestion ... and of course they're from the same family - I too live and learn ... please thank Margo!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary- After reading your comment I told Margo about the many birds who need pebbles to help them digest their food. She was so excited. I didn't realize how closely related birds and crocs are. Now I must learn more! Thanks and glad you learned something too. :) ~F

      Delete
  8. Did you know that crocodiles actually eat rocks?
    No I didn't!

    This sounds a great book.
    So pleased you've been able to visit your library.

    Happy August Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan- I am glad to have surprised you with a fact from this book. Such an interesting read! And yay for libraries. :) Hope you are having a great August!
      ~F

      Delete
  9. I had no idea crocs ate rocks. What a fascinating book. And the illustrations look cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry- I was amazed too. So fun learning new things! The pictures add a lot to the facts too. :) ~F

      Delete
  10. I guess croc will eat anything! The book will capture those young imaginations, no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- I guess they will! Definitely makes you think! :) ~F

      Delete
  11. Educational and entertaining. This sounds like a fun packed read full of fascinating facts presented in a way that will appeal to young readers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds absolutely charming. I wish I had a youngster to read it to!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget