Friday, February 27, 2015

Author Interview with Stuart Gibbs

The DMS was lucky enough to interview Stuart Gibbs. Lizzy reviewed his book Spy School, and it was great to share our thoughts about it and hear yours! We're excited to learn a little more about his story. So, without further ado... take it away, Stuart!


What inspired you to write Spy School?

Spy School is really an extremely old idea. I probably first thought of it when I was in fifth grade. I had just seen my first James Bond movie, Moonraker (which is a really terrible movie, possibly the worst Bond ever, but I liked it at the time). I was inspired enough to write a story about Jimmy Bond, James’ son, and somewhere along the line I had the idea that Jimmy would need to go to a school for young spies-in-training. The idea changed over time, but the essential concept -- that it would be funny to have a school for young spies -- stayed exactly the same.

Spy School is part of a series. Did all of the books take you the same length of time to write or do they each have a process of their own? Which one took you the longest to write?

I find that writing the first book in a series generally takes the most work, because you have to build an entire world and establish all the characters in it. So it takes a little more time to figure everything out. Plus, now that I know I’m doing a series, I can think ahead a book or two when I’m writing. So by the time I actually sit down to write the next book, I’ve actually been thinking about it and plotting it out for perhaps a year ahead of time. Maybe even a bit more. So that helps me write the story a bit faster.

What are some of your favorite books from childhood? Were there any specific authors who inspired you?

The Encyclopedia Brown series by Donald J Sobel. Danny, the Champion of the World byRoald Dahl. The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinThe Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles byJulie Andrews Edwards. Sobel and Raskin definitely inspired me from a mystery-writing perspective -- as well as the idea of having a smart, young protagonist.  And I was very inspired by Carl Hiaasen -- though I read his adult books first, because his middle-grade books didn’t exist when I was young. He showed me that you could have a crime novel that was extremely funny.

When you were growing up did you want to be a spy? Do you have a favorite spy from either a book or a movie? 


I was fascinated by the idea of being a spy, but I think I was always aware that it couldn’t possibly be as cool as it was in the James Bond movies -- and furthermore, that I wouldn’t ever be able to compare to James Bond. (Neither could anyone else, really.) So I always realized that the idea of a completely normal person dropped into the midst of the James Bond world would be funny. So I’ve seen all the Bond films and read all the books, and I often watch the movies again to inspire me.

The path to publication varies from author to author. Every author has a unique story and one that other authors can learn from. Can you tell us a little bit about your path to publication or do you have any advice for new authors?

My path was pretty unique. I had always thought of being an author, but I actually found it easier to break into the film business. (It was a it easier to get started in film at that time.) I wrote some spec scripts which were good enough to get me an agent and then get me work writing for film & TV. But I always still wanted to write books. My agency had a book division, so one of the TV agents reached out to them for me. Jennifer Joel (who is now my book agent) read my stuff, called me up and asked if I had ever thought of writing middle grade. Up until that point, I’d always though I would write for adults, but the moment Jenn suggested MG, I realized that was perfect for me. I had a couple ideas that had never quite worked out for film (like Spy School and Belly Up) that I realized would be perfect for middle grade. Jenn had me outline Belly Up and write a few sample chapters, and based on that, she got me my first book deal.

So… as far as advice is concerned, you’re right that everyone has a unique path, so there’s no right way or wrong way to get published. However, I think the one thing all published authors have in common is that we write. All the time. We practice our craft and write drafts of movies or books that we hope will get made or published, and if that doesn’t happen, we write something else. And the more we write, the better we get. So if you really love writing, just keep writing. And if you don’t love writing… then don’t try to be writer.

If you could live anyplace real or fictional, where would it be? Why?

I have to say that I really enjoy living where I do right now, in Southern California, though I’m tempted by the idea of spending a few months a year somewhere else. Colorado during ski season might be nice. Or on a nice secluded beach in Hawaii. But then, I might never get any writing done.

If you could befriend a character from one of your books, who would you befriend? Why

Probably Teddy from Belly Up and the FunJungle series. Not only is he a smart, fun kid with a great sense of humor, but his life is the closest to my fantasy life as a kid: Getting to live at a zoo and go behind the scenes and hang out with animals and zookeepers all day.

Where did you get the inspiration for Ben and Erica?

With Ben, I wanted a kid who was really smart, but rather normal otherwise. I wanted a kid who readers could relate to. Ben doesn’t fail at spy school at first because he’s incompetent; he fails because anyone normal would fail there. But he succeeds because he’s smart. He figures out solutions to problems that no one else sees. As for Erica, I thought there should be a kid who was a legacy, because there always seems to be a kid like that at private schools: a kid who’s family has been going to that school since the school was founded. I thought it would be funny to have a kid like that at spy school, someone who’s family had been spies for the US going all the way back to Nathan Hale. So it made sense that kid would be very good at spying, because they’d been surrounded by nothing but spies their whole life. And then, I thought it would be fun to make her a girl. Because I like the idea of having super-cool girls in my books (I have a young daughter) and I thought it would be fun for Ben to be completely intimidated by this girl -- but also make him have a massive crush on her.

Are you currently working on a book? If so, can you tell us a little bit about it?

I am actually working on four books right now. I am just putting the finishing touches on Evil Spy School, the third book in that series. I am doing some editing on Big Game, the next book in the FunJungle series, and Spaced Out, the sequel to Space Case. And I am just getting started writing the fourth book in the Spy School series.

Where can we purchase your books or learn more about them?

My books are definitely available at Barnes & Noble and Amazon and they are getting into lots of independent stores around the country. (So if you like to shop indy, ask your local store. If they don’t have my books, they can certainly get them for you.) For more information about all of my books -- ones that are published and ones that are coming visit my website.














Follow my blog with Bloglovin

58 comments:

  1. Great interview... I like hearing how he got to where is ... he had an idea that he would write for adults and when he was offered to write for MG.. he could see that potential... many of us have a thought in our mind of how it should go and we refuse to see another path... and he is right, we all need to just keep writing if that is what we love ... xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Launna- I agree! I enjoyed learning that about Stuart too! :) ~L

      Delete
  2. Interesting concept for his book/series!! Best of luck to him with it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuart, what a fun premise! And how cool you actually got your start writing for film. And Danny, the Champion of the World is one of my FAVE kids books..I passed on my tattered copy to my son recently. Congrats on the book - and all your books in the works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- Like you and Stuart I love Danny, the Champion of the World! Thanks for visiting. :) ~L

      Delete
  4. this sounds wonderful and the cover is fantastic! I wanted to write for TV as well but there's something about books that drew me back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth Ellyn- It is interesting to learn that you and Stuart both had an interest in writing for TV and then books called your name. :) ~L

      Delete
  5. Super interview. Spy books sound like something kids will really enjoy. Love the story of how you got started writing for MG. Congratulations and the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- I think the spy aspect of the stories will draw in a lot of kids. :) ~L

      Delete
  6. Oh this looks fantastic for MG boys. I want to pick this up for my kids when they are a bit older. Another winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- Glad you have another one for your kids when they are older! :) ~L

      Delete
  7. boy, this looks like a fun series. Thanks for an interesting interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- It is a great series! Glad you enjoyed the interview. :) ~L

      Delete
  8. Recomendo muito aqueles lencinhos! ;D

    Adorei a entrevista. Legal saber sobre o livro Spy School!

    Ótima sexta!

    Beijo! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda- Glad to hear Spy School sounds good to you! :) ~L

      Delete
  9. Hmm, very interesting to hear that 1st book takes most work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandi- I thought that was interesting too! :) ~L

      Delete
  10. I am a someone who is a big fan of spies in books. When I was younger I devoured books like the Jimmy Coates series, Zac Power and Jane Blonde. Nowadays I read more grown up ones but I still enjoy a good spy one! Which makes me think I could like this too. It's interesting to know that if he moved to a warm calm place like Hawaii, he would never get writing done. Sometimes I feel like the fresh air could be a motivator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia- Savannah- I feel like fresh air could be my motivator too! I know the freezing cold and snow isn't motivating for me. How fun to learn that you grew up liking spy books and that you devoured so many of them. I bet you would like Spy School. :) ~L

      Delete
  11. Wonderful interview and I totally forgot about Encyclopedia Brown! I used to read that too:) I love soy films and have all the Bond films also but feel Octopussy is the worst. I can't believe you are working on 4 all at once. I would be getting all mixed up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit- I always like trying to figure out Encyclopedia Brown and the mysteries he was trying to solve. Thanks for visiting! :) ~L

      Delete
  12. I haven't thought about Encyclopedia Brown in years! If Spy School is anything like that series I bet it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh man, I ''definitely'' wanted to be a sky, when I was younger. I was watching this TV show called Totally Spies and I wanted to be Sam :) Spies rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola- Spies are definitely intriguing! :) ~L

      Delete
  14. It's hard not to be fascinated by the idea of being a spy, isn't it? This book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this interview! We love reading about an author's inspiration behind his books :-) We haven't read any books by Stuart Gibbs yet, but we'll be adding him to our TBR stat!

    ~ Mckenzie & Michele @ A Belle's Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mckennzie- So glad you enjoyed the interview. I agree that it is fun to learn about authors! :) ~L

      Delete
  16. Love the story as to how Stuart ended up with his agent. That's win the prize for more unique story. :)

    The premise for the series sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stina- I thought it was interesting how he ended up with his agent too! :) ~L

      Delete
  17. Such a fun interview! And I love that the idea floated around for that long before it became a book (even if Moonraker was a pretty terrible film :). Best of luck to Stuart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- I am always amazed when I learn more about the story behind the story. :) ~L

      Delete
  18. Great interview. I daydreamed about being a spy when I was a kid. I loved those types of movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medeia- Being a spy has always seemed really cool to me! :) ~L

      Delete
  19. That's an interesting path to take! When I was in Romance Writers of America, one of our local chapter members started writing romantic suspense at the advice of a film agent. She was writing screenplays and was told it was easier to write a book, get it published, then have it made into a movie. She had several books published by a major publisher but never did get that movie deal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie- It is interesting to learn how movies and tv shows come to be and I am glad the chapter member had books published. Maybe one day she will get that movie deal! :) ~L

      Delete
  20. Isn't this a super book idea! Kids are going to gobble it up. Nothing more exciting than kids solving crimes or mysteries. I see you're a CA writer. We're practically neighbors. I'm near San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- How fun that you and Stuart are so close in proximity! I love solving mysteries. :) ~L

      Delete
  21. Great interview. Kids and spies? Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now that sounds fun. James Bond's kid in a school for spies.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's awesome he had the initial idea such a long time ago. Sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shooting Stars Mag- I thought that was interesting too! :) ~L

      Delete
  24. Lovely interview and what kid wouldn't be thrilled to attend spy school, heck as an adult I would be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimba- So glad you enjoyed the interview. Spy School would be fun! :) ~L

      Delete
  25. Hi, Stuart! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Armchair Squid- Thanks for visiting! :) ~L

      Delete
  26. Highly recommended then. :)
    Thanks for sharing the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SuperLux- So glad you enjoyed the interview! :) ~L

      Delete
  27. Nice interview and looks like a fun series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia- Happy to hear you liked the interview. It is a fun series! :) ~L

      Delete
  28. You always feature the BEST books for kids! I want to read them & I am FAR from a kid! LOLZ
    This subject has always fascinated me & I used to want to be a spy or Nancy Drew type as a young kid.
    Its always so fun & magical & exciting to imagine myself as a spy or detective.
    Books that spark creativity & imagination & stick with you forever are the best kinds of books one can read as a kid :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellas- Thanks so much! I love Nancy Drew!! Your comment was awesome and so thoughtful. Thanks so much for stopping in and sharing your thoughts. :) ~L

      Delete
  29. What a fun concept for a book series! I enjoyed reading the interview; I always like hearing how authors think and work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark- I agree that it is a fun concept for a book series! So glad you enjoyed the interview. Like you, I always love hearing how authors think and work. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget