Monday, January 24, 2022

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday # MMGM Book Review: Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan

 

Twelve-year-old Willow Chance is a genius. She also loves the number 7 and is obsessed with plants and medical conditions. Her adoptive parents love her more than anything. Willow feels the same way about them. They are different, but they fit together perfectly. When Willow's parents are killed in an accident everything changes. She has to leave the garden she has worked on for years, the place that has been her comfort zone and allowed her to grow. The two people who took care of Willow are gone. She's hoping to find a place where she belongs. Those who help her along her journey will never be the same. Will she find another place she feels comfortable? Will Willow be able to create a new garden? Is it possible for her to move on? Read this touching book about loss, change, and hope to find out!

Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan is a book that took me by surprise! I read it in just over day because I was curious about what would happen to Willow and the people in her life. Willow's unique personality made her endearing. Willow is smart and caring. I like the way her brain organized things, and that she was so knowledgeable about plants and medicine. It would be fun to talk to her and see her green thumb in action. She cracked me up, and I liked the way 7 kept showing up in her life (it's one of my favorite numbers).  I think anyone who has experienced a major loss will connect with this story. Although Willow had tragedy strike her life, the story was about her search for another place where she belongs, and about how she dealt with her grief. I recommend this book to anyone in fifth grade and up that is ready for an emotional story with characters that will make them think. It's been a while since I finished this book, and I'm still thinking about Willow. I can't wait to read another book by this author soon!

Has anyone else read Counting by 7s? Or have you read another book by Holly Goldberg Sloan? We’d love to hear your thoughts! 

Happy reading!

~L

For other MMGM posts, please visit Greg Pattridge's blog.

42 comments:

  1. Sounds like her caring attitude is what gets her through a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful book! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this book. I remember challenging my kids to count by 7s and 13s... because for some reason those numbers have a way of showing up in our lives, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue- How interesting! 7s are one of the numbers that show up in my life too. Glad to hear you liked this book too! :) ~L

      Delete
  4. That really sounds powerful, profound and relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I adore this book! I've lent it to a couple of people. It's so heartfelt and the characters so likable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- I am so happy to hear you love this one too. A great book to lend to others for sure. :) ~L

      Delete
  6. I haven't read it but it sounds like it would be a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read other good reviews of this book. It must be good if you're still thinking about it. Thanks for sharing it with us this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie- It is a book that sticks with you for sure. Willow is a character I really connected to! If you read it, I hope you enjoy it too! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. Many thanks for sharing this book.

    Hoping 2022 has started well for you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Willow! Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valinora- It really is a great book. Love Willow! :) ~L

      Delete
  10. I've had this book on my TBR forever! I will have to read it one of these days. Thanks for reminding me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria- I understand. There are lots of books I have on my TBR list that have been there for a while. I hope you get to this one soon! :) ~L

      Delete
  11. This one is new to me. thanks for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had this one on my list forever. I can't believe I haven't gotten to it. Your review has made me move it way up my list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- I hope you enjoy it. I can't wait to hear your thoughts. :) ~L

      Delete
  13. I hadn't heard of this one, so thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Counting sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard about this book, but haven't read it. I can't believe with the amount of loss Willow has dealt with. I'm intrigued and need to get a copy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia- I know! My heart goes out to Willow. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did! :) ~L

      Delete
  16. Both story and author are new to me - but this sounds fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jemi- Happy to be able to introduce you to the book and author. :) ~L

      Delete
  17. I read this book many years ago, when I was very young—and I stayed up FAR later than I should have (especially at that age!) and finished the whole thing in a night! And your review makes me want to track a copy down and read it again, since I recall absolutely loving it when I read it at the time. Thanks so much for the wonderful review, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max-
      Awesome to hear you enjoyed this one when you read it! Staying up to finish is always a good sign. Hope if you read it again you like it just as much or more! :)

      Delete
  18. Despite the number 7 being unlucky for me I think I'd really enjoy this book as Willow sounds like such a spirited character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicity- Sorry to hear that the number 7 is unlucky for you- but I think you would enjoy this book and Willow's reasons for finding the number important. :) ~L

      Delete
  19. HI DMS - sounds like an ideal read for many people ... I love # 13 ... and tend to avoid # 7 because it seems to be everyone's favourite! But that's just me - and the reviews here are encouraging for us to read - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary- I love that people have strong connections to certain numbers. It's so interesting. Glad you enjoyed the review. :) ~L

      Delete
  20. Sounds like it could be a bit rough, but so good and worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon- Definitely some parts are a little tough- but you are right- worth it in the end. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget