Monday, May 13, 2019

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday #MMGM Book Review: The Mad Wolf's Daughter by Diane Magras

Young Drest hears a sound one night, but her father and brothers don’t believe her. When their camp is invaded, war breaks out, and Drest is forced into hiding to stay safe. Unfortunately, the Mad Wolf and his band of sons are taken as prisoners, leaving Drest to fend for herself. Still hidden, she witnesses a scene between two men and she can’t believe it when one of them double crosses the other and tries to kill him. The wounded man is left behind and Drest takes him as her captive. He is a knight from the invading group and knows the way to the castle where her brothers and father have been locked up. She hopes she can trade the man she rescued for her family, and the man is desperate to get to the castle for his own reasons. Drest has never left the area where her family has their camp. The path to the castle is not easy and they encounter bad weather, people who steal from them and danger at every turn. Plus, she hears terrible stories about her father and brothers which she knows can’t be true. Drest’s captive may be her enemy, but she does her best to keep him alive though his health continues to fail. Enemies to the core they must work together to get what they both want; although only one can be the victor. What will happen when Drest makes it to the castle? Will she be able to save her father and her band of brothers? Is she truly the Mad Wolf’s daughter or is she her own person? You’ll have to read this tail and decide for yourself.

When I found out my class was Skyping with Diane Magras, author of The Mad Wolf’s Daughter, I knew I had to read the book. I was not disappointed! I liked the confidence Drest has and how she stood for what she believed was right. All her life she heard the stories from her father and brothers about what they did to protect women and children. Even when her belief faltered she still held true to what she knew was right. The story of friendship, struggle and fight will appeal to those who like adventure. I recommend this book to kids and adults from fourth grade up who like taking a trip back in time when people often took the law into their own hands and were at the mercy of those in the court and castle. I am already looking forward to reading the second book, The Hunt for The Mad Wolf’s Daughter, and I can’t wait to hear what that author has to say during our Skype.

Has anyone else read The Mad Wolf’s Daughter? Or have you read another book by Diane Magras? We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L

PS- I just noticed that all of the times I wrote Drest, the main character's name, auto correct changed the name to Dress. Fixed now! 


For other MMGM posts, please visit Greg Pattridge's blog.

48 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read The Hunt for The Mad Wolf’s Daughter too. So cool that your class got to Skype with Diane Magras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda- I look forward to reading the second book soon. We are Skyping with Diane on Wednesday and I will be sure to share about it. :) ~L

      Delete
  2. How cool the class will be able to Skype with her! That should be a great experience. Interesting plot for the book (series). Dress seems like a strong individual to be involved doing what she is doing to try to save her dad and brother.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty- Drest is really strong and brave. I thought this was a unique book and it had lots of action. I can't wait for the Skype visit this Wednesday. :) ~L

      Delete
  3. Skyping with an author? Wow.
    And hooray for books which portray strong women characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC- I agree! Hooray on both accounts! :) ~L

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great story. Dress has a lot of strength. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound good … 'the story of friendship, struggle and fight will (definitely) appeal to those who like adventure.'

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. She certainly sounds more than a mad pup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure sounds like a strong young lady indeed. Skyping with the author sounds fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat- Drest is very strong and the Skype should be very fun! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this yet, but have been meaning to since I had Diane on my blog. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie- I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :) ~L

      Delete
  9. This one has been on my TBR list for much too long. I also recently added THE HUNT FOR MAD WOLF'S DAUGHTER and hope this summer I can get to both. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg- Enjoy! I am looking forward to book 2 this summer! Happy reading. :) ~L

      Delete
  10. Ooooh. This sounds really, really good. I love books set in medieval times, especially in the British Isles. I will definitely try to get to this one. Thanks for such an intriguing review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- I am glad you enjoyed the review. Happy reading! :) ~L

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a great read !I love this type of reading .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria- The story really sucks you in! :) ~L

      Delete
  12. This book sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lot is going on in this story. I haven't heard of it, but now I want to read it. Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- I think you will really like this one when you get to it. :) ~L

      Delete
  14. How awesome that you'll get to Skype with the author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Armchair Squid- It should be a blast. Can't wait for Wednesday! :) ~L

      Delete
  15. Never heard of this, but sounds like something unique for my granddaughter to try. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RO- It is definitely unique and a really fun read. :) ~L

      Delete
  16. I have not read this but now I want to. It sounds really readable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read it but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How exciting that you'll get to Skype with the author! The Mad Wolf's Daughter has been on my TBR list for a while, so thanks for the nudge to bring it to the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne- I hope when you get to it you enjoy it as much as I did. :) ~L

      Delete
  19. That is amazing, the class will be able to Skype with her! The book sounds wonderful! Big Hugs!
    (I'm sorry I'm so behind in blog land! Trying to catch up and say hi to everyone!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Skype was tons of fun! She read from her book with a Scottish accent. We loved it! :) ~L

      Delete
  20. Drest sounds like the kind of feisty young heroine that I'd like. Always good to hear of stories such as this, I know the school I worked in was big on promoting books such as this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy- Drest is definitely fiesty! :) ~L

      Delete
  21. I haven't read this book, but it sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds good, Stephanie. And the autocorrect--beyond annoying. It's supposed to learn but it's curve is very steep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqui- The auto correct can be very frustrating. As for the book- it's great! :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget