Monday, February 25, 2019

Margo's Musings: Bernice is More Than Just a Squash


Hints of spring are in the air here, and I know my family is ready for warmer weather. Days are getting a little longer and before we know it we’ll be getting our garden ready. I can’t wait to help my dad do some digging in the dirt, but until then I can read about gardens and the wonderful produce we get from them. My little sister, Margo, picked up Sophie’s Squash when we visited the library recently. It’s adorable!

Sophie sees a squash that her mother planned to cook, but it was just the right size to bounce on her knee and hold in her arms. They were instant friends, and Sophie named her Bernice. Soon the two were going everywhere together. Although her parents wanted her to give Bernice to a local food pantry before she started to rot, Sophie wouldn’t hear of it. Nothing was going to happen to Bernice! She loved Bernice! Even when little “freckles” start popping up on Bernice, Sophie is not swayed. Will Sophie be able to handle it when her pal becomes squishier? Is there anything she can do to help her squash? This sweet book has a delightful ending that will bring a smile to your face.


Sophie’s Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller and illustrated by Anne Wilsdorf is a beautiful picture book with a story that melted my heart. I can understand becoming attached to an inanimate object- so Sophie’s love of Bernice seemed very realistic to me. Margo cracked up at all the things Sophie and Bernice did together. The illustrations are cute and have a fun appeal. I was worried about how Sophie would react when Bernice wasn’t in tip top shape anymore, but the story moved to the next stage in the squash's life perfectly. The ending is awesome, and I love that there's a follow-up book- Sophie’s Squash Go to School. I know we’ll be picking it up soon.  Until then, Margo will have me reading this one over and over again. 




Has anyone else read Sophie’s Squash? Or have you read another book by Pat Zietlow Miller? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy reading!
~ F

45 comments:

  1. This sounds like a delightful story! Thanks for sharing and have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it ends with her planting the seeds and more squash coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- That's a good guess. You'll have to read it to see what happens. ;) ~F

      Delete
  3. Not read this but it sounds good. And I can't wait for warmer weather and gardening too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie- It is a really sweet book. Come on warmer weather. :) ~F

      Delete
  4. Gotta love Sophie's pigtails, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what lovely are always these books I would love still my twins were little, beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria- Picture books are fun to read to kids- but they are really a joy any time. :) ~F

      Delete
  6. Sophia's Squash is such a sweet story! Pat Miller's author page is great. You can go there and listen to her read her book. This was her first published PB. She is an inspiration, she had 126 rejections (from different manuscripts) before she got the call from a publisher wanting to publish Sophia's Squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet- WOW! I had no idea about Pat Miller and all of her rejections. I absolutely love the story and think it is adorable. She really is an inspiration. Thanks for all the awesome information. :) ~F

      Delete
  7. Sounds like such a cute story!! I'll have to see if our local library has it and read it since I'm curious about the ending.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they have it, Betty. It is very sweet. :) ~F

      Delete
  8. Sure sounds like a fun one indeed. Squash is so random it works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like such a cute story. And I love the whimsical illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry- Aren't the illustrations adorable! :) ~F

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love Sophie's Squash. It is such a sweet book. I have also read Sophie's Squash Goes to School, but it doesn't have quite the same charm as the first book. Thanks for the reminder. I will have to pull it out and read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- Glad to hear you love this one too. It is such a lovely book. I have to read Sophie's Squash Goes to School. I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. :) ~F

      Delete
  11. Oh gosh. This sounds so cute. I am curious to see how Sophie handles the demise of her beloved squash. the illustrations look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- It is such a cute story. Sophie is very endearing. :) ~F

      Delete
  12. I love this story! There's also now a sequel, Sophie's Squash Go to School.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea- I have to read the sequel. The first one is so cute. :) ~F

      Delete
  13. What a sweet story, and you've got me to wondering how it ends. Maybe our library has a copy or I can get them to order one. Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- I hope they have it! If they don't- they should totally order it. :) ~F

      Delete
  14. Thank you for introduction of a nice story
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't those pigtails so cute :)

    This sounds a lovely book, and nice that there is a follow up too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan- Sophie and her squash are both adorable. :) ~F

      Delete
  17. This looks like a sweet book for kids in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the sound of this book. Thanks for introducing me to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Release Books- You are welcome! :) ~F

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Authors with Advice- I thought so! :) ~F

      Delete
  20. What a cute story!! I love the illustrations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic Love Crow- I love the illustrations too! :) ~F

      Delete
  21. I've heard great things about it, but I still haven't read it! I have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn- I think you will really like it. Hope you get to read it soon. :) ~F

      Delete
  22. There's a follow up book? lol. How? It should rot by now. I'm curious how it all ends. I wonder if she plants a squash seed from Bernice. Very cute and different read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget