Monday, September 9, 2024

MMGM: Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson

 

16-year-old Hattie has been shuffled around from relative to relative her whole life. She’s been living with her aunt and uncle, but her aunt is not happy having her there. She's said that Hattie needs to stop going to school and start work cleaning a boarding house. Then, out of nowhere Hattie receives a letter from her long-lost uncle giving her the land that he’s trying to farm and pay back to the state (prove up on his claim). Hattie takes this chance and moves to Montana, where she meets the cast of characters who will play important parts in her life. They help her learn what it means to be a homesteader. It's harder than she'd imagined! Hattie is a fast learner, but there are a lot of ins and outs of frontier life. Will she be able to put up the fence that's required of her? Is it possible for Hattie to plant the wheat, bag it, and sell it? What was life like out in the plains during the early 1900s when a war was going on? You’ll have to read this exciting historical fiction book to find out!

I read Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson because it was on The Week Jr., US Read Across America Map The Week Jr., US Read Across America Map for the state of Montana. I had already read some of the other books that were nominated for a state, but wanted to check out something new. I'm so glad I picked this book up! I LOVED it! I cared about Hattie and what she was going through. I learned about life at that time. Being a homesteader was not easy! Hattie is someone I would definitely want on my side, and someone who I would stand up for. I would recommend this historical fiction book to anybody in grade 4, and up who is interested in what life was like just a little over 100 years ago in part of our country. I look forward to reading more books by this author.

Has anyone else read Hattie Big Sky? Or has anyone read another book by Kirby Larson? We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!

~L

For other MMGM posts, please visit Greg Pattridge's blog.

12 comments:

  1. It was a way of life back then and now homesteading is the latest trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kirby Larsen books. Thanks fir tge reminder about this HF one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds fascinating. And definitely was not an easy life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, haven't read any of Kirby Larson's books yet. Akk how did I miss this one featuring Montana? Maybe the library has a copy. Happy MMGM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not read this one but have previously enjoyed several of Larson's Dogs of WWII series. She does an excellent job with historical fiction and I can't wait to read about Hattie based on your insightful review. Happy MMGM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book many years ago and its sequel -- one of my favorite prarie book series. Her scenes of Hattie's first winter are etched into my memory. Larson is an excellent author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this a long time ago and loved it! I am a huge fan of books set in this period, and strong female characters! I also read the sequel, and remember it being kind of sad, at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this several years ago. I have read a LOT of Kirby Larson's books and have never been disappointed. She writes wonderful books. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. Did you know there is a sequel? Hattie Ever After. You might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this, but it sounds like a solid read.
    Take special care:) Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this or anything by Kirby Larson, but you're making me think I should read this one. I'm glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds great, another book for me even if I am rather over 4th grade! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget