Monday, June 26, 2023

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday # MMGM Book Review: The War I Finally Won l by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

 



The War I Finally Won picks up right where The War That Saved My Life ended. Adad had her surgery to correct her foot and there is a world of possibiliries awaiting her. She and her brother, Jamie, are living with Susan Smith, who has been caring for them more than their own mother ever did back in London. Sadly, they are no longer living in Susan‘s comforting house as it was bombed. They’re living in a cottage that belongs to Lady Thorton. This new house is dark and dismal, but they are making do. Lady Thorton is a little sharp tongued and cold, making Ada feel tense. Things become a little more difficult when a teenage girl named Ruth comes to live with them from Germany. Lady Thorton is not happy, but she has to allow it. Could Ruth be a spy? With the war going on and all the changes in her life, Ada has no choice but to change and grow.  Who will she be?

I absolutely adored The War I Finally Won. Ada is a characters who touched my soul and made me care about her and the things that she’s gone though. I was hoping now that she and Jamie are officially with Susan that there life would be easy. But, the times weren't easy and war brings a lot of sadness, and Ada had tough things to experience. I enjoyed getting to see old friends from the first book like Maggie and I enjoyed meeting new ones. It was interesting trying to figure the new characters out!  The characters will definitely stay with me, as they have made their way into my heart! This is a great sequel to a wonderful book and one I would recommend to anyone who loves historical fiction and is 9 years old and up. I bet even people who aren't fans of historical fiction will be captivated by Ida, Jamie, Susan, and their story.  I definitely look forward to reading more books by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley.

Has anyone else read The War I Finally Won? Or have your read another book by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley? We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L

For other MMGM posts, please visit Greg Pattridge's blog.

38 comments:

  1. It sounds excellent. Hooray for characters who find a (permanent) home in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, I think I will enjoy it! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie- It is really great. The audio is also excellent (if you have a chance to listen to it). :) ~L

      Delete
  3. I'm trying to bridge out into more historical and realistic fiction, and this does sound good. Thanks for the recommendation and have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda- You will love this book and The War That Saved My Life. They are also both audio books and are fabulous! Hope you get a chance to read them. :)

      Delete
  4. I liked the sequel better than Book 1, but Kimberly Brubaker Bradley 's best novel is FIGHTING WORDS ('21), I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth- I loved both books- but it says so much about the writing and story that you love the second book even more than the first (that doesn't happen all the time). :) I have to read Fighting Words. Going to go add it to my TBR list now! Thanks for the recommendation. ~L

      Delete
  5. I don't know this book (or this author) but it sounds great. I must check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valinora- You will love her books! :) ~L

      Delete
  6. My students love this one; it is a class read in one of the elementary schools. They also enjoy Albus' A Place to Hang the Moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Yingling- I can see why it's a class read. Such a great story. I haven't read A Place to Hang the Moon- but I just added it to my TBR. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of this book, so I'm really glad you posted your review. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kasey- Glad to introduce you to it. I hope you can check it out. It is awesome! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. This does sound a good read, many thanks for highlighting it.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan- You are welcome! Glad it sounds good to you. :) ~L

      Delete
  9. Kimberly Brubaker Bradley is such a talented author—I remember reading her book Fighting Words and falling in love with it, as painful a read as it is. I loved The War That Saved My Life when I read it way back when, and this sounds like a phenomenal sequel—thanks so much for the thoughtful review, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max- You are the second person to mention Fighting Words. I don't recall every hearing about it when it came out. But I am glad it is on my radar (though it sounds like it will be a powerful and emotional read). Glad this sequel sounds good to you. :)

      Delete
  10. Gracias por la reseña. Lo tendré en cuenta. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JP- ¡De nada! Es una gran lectura si tienes la oportunidad de leerlo o escucharlo.

      Delete
  11. One of my favorite reads from a few years back was The War That Saved My Life. I remember adding that second book to my TBR list but somehow it disappeared. You made my day with your review as it is now on top of my summer reading pile.Thanks for resurrecting this one on MMGM this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg- The War That Saved My Life is one of my all time favorite books. I love the audio version as well- and highly recommend it, if you haven't listened to it before. I am happy to remind you of the sequel and hope you enjoy it this summer. :)

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a good read, thanks for highlighting it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love good historical fiction. I will look for these two books. Thanks for telling me about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- You will LOVE them! Also- if you have a library app- the audio book versions are fantastic. Highly recommend! Hope you get to read them and enjoy them. :)

      Delete
  14. Thank you for introducing me to this book! Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nas- You are welcome! It is a great read!

      Delete
  15. Sounds like these characters go through a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary- They really do- but the author does such a great job writing about the time period and you really learn a lot and care a lot about the characters. :)

      Delete
  16. Sounds good -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like these characters are likeable after all the things they go through.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't heard of either of these books, but I will look out for them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate- I hope you will enjoy them as much as I did! :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget