Monday, July 18, 2022

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday # MMGM Book Review: Rescue by Jennifer A. Nielsen

 

Meg Kenyon has been counting the days since her father left their farm in France to go fight in World War II. She is worried about him, especially since there has been a rumor that he has been captured by the Nazis. She tries to stay close to him by practicing her code breaking, something she and her dad had worked on together. But the jar full of codes for her to break has dwindled, reminding her how much time has passed since she saw her dad. One night she discovers an injured spy named Captain Stewart in her grandmother's barn. She isn't sure if she should trust him or not, but after he hands her a coded letter from her father she decides to help him. He wouldn't have the letter if he was not trustworthy, right? Captain Stewart tells Meg that he was supposed to guide a family of German refugees across France and into Spain. There he was to meet Meg's father at a location he can't tell her. Since the Captain is too injured to lead the rescue he asks Meg to take over for him. The Nazis are searching the local farms looking for a spy and a radio operator. Meg's mother and grandmother are worried for everyone's safety so they agree that Meg can lead the rescue mission and leave immediately. But can she trust the German refugees? Right away it seems to her that there is something each of them is hiding. Although Meg knows the French countryside and mountains, will she be able to lead them all to safety? Can she crack the code and decipher her father's letter? And how will she know where to meet her father once she gets to Spain? You will be on the edge of your seat with Meg as she tries to piece together the clues and works on making her way along a dangerous journey. 

I read the Ascendance series by Jennifer A. Nielsen and really enjoyed it, but Rescue was the first historical fiction book of hers that I have read. I really liked Meg and how she gave everything a lot of thought. She was very good at cracking codes and trying to figure out who to trust. As she helped the British pilot and worked on the code in her father's letter I was rooting for her. It was so hard to know who Meg could trust and there was danger everywhere. The introduction of the German refugees made the story even more interesting. Like Meg, I worried if she could trust them. I like that Meg was brave and smart. She definitely took some risks! Her code cracking skills were impressive and it was easy to see what an important skill that is for a variety of reasons. The description of the mountains and paths in France made me feel like I was there. This is a story that will appeal to anyone who enjoys reading historical fiction, especially books set during World War II. I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more of this author's HF books! 

Has anyone else read Rescue? Or have you read another book by Jennifer A. Nielsen? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L

For other MMGM posts, please visit Greg Pattridge's blog.

25 comments:

  1. Wow. This sounds tense, exciting and an all round excellent read. Thank you for alerting me to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC- It really was intense, but a fast read for sure! :) ~L

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed Rescue too. I'm a huge fan of Jennifer's. I just read Lines of Courage, her new book about WWI. It's really good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie- I will have to read that one next! :) ~L

      Delete
  3. I really liked this book too. I'm a huge fan of Jennifer's. I just read Lines of Courage, her new book about WWI. It's really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read historical fiction but have not had the opportunity to read this one. Your review has it high on my list now. The character and storyline have me hooked. Thanks for being a part of MMGM today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg- I think you will really enjoy it. Thanks for organizing all the MMGM posts! :) ~L

      Delete
  5. I think I've read just about all of Nielsen's MG books, but haven't gotten to her YA books yet. Did you see she has a new one, Iceberg, coming out in March of 2023?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to read more of her books. She is a great writer. I didn't see that about Iceberg- so thanks for putting it on my radar. :) ~L

      Delete
  6. I read this and enjoyed it very much. I especially liked the coding aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randomly Reading- I thought the code aspect was very cool! :) ~L

      Delete
  7. I haven't come across this book but I will be adding it to my TBR as it sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valinora- I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. I've read all of Nielsen's MG fantasy books but have yet to read her Nonfiction ones for some reason. This does sound interesting so will need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda- I think you will enjoy her HF books. So intriguing! :) ~L

      Delete
  9. Rescue reminds me a bit of my favorite adult novel "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah. A young girl taking refugees across France into Spain -- a harrowing trip as you described! Love historical fiction that is well written! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia- Yes! Amazing what people had to do to escape to freedom. I think you will enjoy this MG book for sure. :) ~L

      Delete
  10. This sounds a very good read ...

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's funny. I was just looking at MG Historical Fiction and Nielsen's Lines of Courage popped up. It's set during the first World War and has multiple POVs.

    I like the added of risk of not knowing who is trustworthy or not. It sounds like an incredible journey and beautifully detailed one. I just read The Bookshop of Dust and Dreams which is a historical fiction with magic, grief, and light vs. dark. A great but emotional book you might like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriana- Thanks for the recommendation. I am adding it to my list now. :) And Line of Courage. Thanks! ~L

      Delete
  12. I think this looks an interesting story and would be great for MG readers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget