Saturday, January 1, 2022

Creative Play In Love and Light for a New Year


Happy New Year, Readers! 

To celebrate our trip around the sun, we're featuring a project that has been in the works this past year. If you follow this blog, you know what I'm referring to- Rainbow Ride is complete! This was a fascinating art project to watch evolve.


The final world represented on Rainbow Ride is violet, and though I had no clue what I wanted it to be, my mind followed the path to the most magical elements I could imagine. It brought me to a place from my childhood that held exactly what I was seeking- red dragonfly, thunderstorm, willow trees, swans, lake, woods, and rocks. 
The essence of true magic!

Dragonfly Lake

So sit back, take a breath, and relax into Rainbow Ride. All are the same on this ride, but each is very different. 

RAINBOW RIDE 

(best with headphones)


If you're interested, here's how this art project evolved-

It all started with Eleanor Skeleton, and she came to be for no reason at all. These are the kinds of things that happen if you allow yourself to just follow a tangent idea and flow with it. She came out awesome, I had fun, and as you know, she's a spooktacular hostess here on the blog. 

Eleanor Skeleton- October 2020

Once I had completed Elly, I had all those craft gems and glue left, and I did have fun working with them, so I made my friends and family these seasonal crystal creation cards, and one of them came out as the Enterprise! 

                                              December 2020

I adored making the cards. It really brought home the feeling of sending good vibes out there- plus, again, fun for me. This is when I started to like the style of art that was emerging. I've been drawing for so long, I felt like it was time to move to another level and see where my imagination would take me.

Creating the scene with the Enterprise (above Risa, btw :) was a blast. I wanted to see it in a more permanent state where I could imagine in orbit any time I want. I'm not sure how I decided on using the 12"x12" textured colored paper, but I did, and that decision set in motion my formula for making the Crystal Creation scenes in Rainbow Ride. 

Red alert! Alien Arachnoid invader! January 2021

The next world on Rainbow Ride, before it was Rainbow Ride, became Everything Beautiful. This scene came about from a story Stephanie told me about one of her students in the library. They asked her for a book that had all the beautiful things, like fairies, unicorns, mermaids. Stephanie knows tons of books with these elements included, but there wasn't one that had them all. I decided that would be a super fun scene to imagine, and so it was!

Everything Beautiful- February 2021

And then, Rainbow Ride came into view. I pulled out all the stops for this one. It is made with gems, copper wire, magnets, mirrors, even home grown crystals- the works! When the light hits this piece, it doesn't know where to go. It was a trip creating Rainbow Ride and thinking about how the whole project would come together in the end. 

=
Rainbow Ride- March 2021

Morning Glory Rose Garden Bliss arose from the feeling of wanting serenity in a garden. This scene was crafted in April, and my skeleton was longing for the sun and warmth. 

Morning Glory Rose Garden Bliss- April 2021

The next stop on Rainbow Ride took me to Piekne Place. This quaint street developed itself. I had so much fun finding out how the street would come together and what was happening in the moment I captured the scene. When I make Crystal Creations, I complete one element at a time, so the end picture is a surprise. It's very satisfying to finish, but the pressure is on when it gets close to completion. 

Pienke Place- April 2021

In the midst of all of this, a Rainbow Myxtress was born.

The most surprising world was Jungle Jewels. I have never drawn a jungle before, so this was new territory. A unique and brilliant world to imagine. I love how the colors came together in this scene. It was a complex, challenging, and wonderful piece of art to create! 

Jungle Jewels- August 2021

Under the Sea is a world close to my heart. As a pisces, I am part mermaid, and I imagine Atlantas would have felt like home. I am a fan of the creatures of the deep, particularly the octopus. Everyone loved Ariel, I liked Ursula- lol. 

Under the Sea- November 2021

And our final destination on Rainbow Ride is Dragonfly Lake. As I mentioned, I wanted this world to represent the most magical elements I could conjure- a really unique and satisfying scene. That path led my mind back to Lake Mamanasco in Ridgefield, CT- the place where my creativity bloomed as a child. It is also the location that inspired the Begonia House and Ruby Begonia. It's a special area that makes me feel just so in my heart. This scene was complex to build, but it was a delight. In this place there is a huge, twisted tree in a meadow that overlooks the lake. I used to play all sorts of games under the branches when I was a kid. Later on in life, I heard that the tree had been struck by lightning. I have a piece of a branch from the tree that cracked off in the storm in my garden and wild strawberries pop up around it.  

Dragonfly Lake- December 2021

When I work on art I like to listen to ambient sounds, like thunderstorm or crackling fireplace, but this past year I have been listening to a lot of philosophy and tiptoeing through the quantum realm. Exploring these subjects simultaneously helped develop the design of this project. The worlds are representative of not only their color frequency on the visible light spectrum, but also the quarks, which I have anthropomorphized (hence the faces in each bubble): red-Up, orange- Down, yellow- Charm, green, Strange, blue-Top, indigo- Bottom, violet- Tetra. Inner and outer worlds playing together with patterns of light sprinkled in colors. In one of the books by Carl Jung that I recently listened to, he talks about how important it is to visualize our own myth. I realized that was what I was doing with Rainbow Ride, capturing the essence of my own inner story. It was a mysterious, surprising, and engaging experience, and I am happy to be able to watch it shimmer on my art wall. 

Remember, colors aren't heavy. They love it when you play with them. 

Rainbow Ride on my art wall


Sending all of our readers love, light, and peace in 2022! 

22 comments:

  1. Wow - thank you so much for inviting us to join you on the Rainbow Ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi DMS - I certainly echo EC's comment and I will definitely be back to join you with the process and watch it here ... amazing and delightful ... creativity.

    Have a blessed and peaceful 2022 - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary- We hope you have a wonderful 2022 also! :)

      Delete
  3. Sending lots of good wishes for a happy and healthy New Year.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many wonders and so creative. Thanks for sharing.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra- Thanks for your kind words. Happy New Year to you! Hope it is amazing! :)

      Delete
  5. Holy wow these are stunning! Happy New Year!

    Ash @ Essentially Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Happy New Year to you too! :)

      Delete
  6. So very cool!!! What a peaceful, lovely video showcasing the ride!
    Love the Enterprise!!
    Best wishes to you for a wonderful 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thanks, Jemi. Glad you enjoyed the ride. Here's to 2022!
      ~Jess

      Delete
  7. What a creative project! I love all the detail you put into all the art pieces. So sparkly and colorful! I hope you continue to get enjoyment from your creations, viewing them as art in your home. Thank you for sharing!

    Happy New Year! Wishing you all the best in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry. It was so much fun creating the pieces. Wishing you a Happy 2022 too! :)

      Delete
  8. Your trip around the sun was certainly packed with creativity! Love your project! Congratulations on completing it so successfully.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. It was a labor of love. So much fun to create the pieces. Wishing you a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. In awe of your creativity, I've so enjoyed this post. A happy 2022 to you and years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicity- Thanks SO much. So happy you enjoyed this post. Hoping you have a wonderful 2022!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget