Thursday, October 21, 2021

Margo's Musings: Say Cheese!

Last week when I visited the town library with my little sister, Margo, she was drawn in to the display with all the new books. I have to say there were lots of covers that had me intrigued! Although she enjoyed all the books we brought home, she did have a favorite.


The Worm Family Has It's Picture Taken by Jennifer Frank and David Ezra Stein is a book with adorable illustrations and a good message. The cover drew me in because the worms looked so sweet  and I wanted to know their story. Why were they getting their picture taken? It turns out that they're getting their first family photo done and Emma couldn't be more excited. She can't wait to see the picture hanging on the wall. But then, she starts looking at all the family photos her friends have, and she worries that since her family can't smile or fix their hair that their picture won't be as good. What are they supposed to do? Is it even worth getting a picture if they don't look fancy? 


Seeing the facial expressions on the different worms' faces really added to the story. The book will make readers think about how often we compare ourselves to others, and how often we think we need to act like or dress like our friends. I liked that Emma comes to some good conclusions as her family goes through the picture process. This is a great book to read with kids and talk about why we shouldn't compare all of our physical attributes to our friends. It also spotlights how important it is to be ourselves. 

This story has definitely become part of our house this past week. Margo is going around with her fake camera taking pictures of any insects she can find, and talking to them. Listening to her communicate with her subjects always makes me chuckle. She loves trying to boss them around! I recommend this book to kids ages five and up who like funny books and worms.

Has anyone else read The Worm Family Has It's Picture Taken? Or have you read another book by Jennifer Frank and David Ezra Stein? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~F

14 comments:

  1. We'll never look like that perfect family so why try to fake it? We're best just as we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - this is a great post ... so I'm sure the book will get great coverage ... yet worms are all different, just like all of us! We need to remember our own identities and cultures - we mustn't forget ... the diversity of the world. Take care - love the sound of the Worm Family: fun ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary- So glad you enjoyed this post. I agree- all of us are different. :) The Worm Family is very sweet. Cheers! :) ~F

      Delete
  3. Funny, I love ... worms, hmm! not so much. But then these sound like particularly delightful worms.

    This sounds like such a cute read and I couldn't help but have a chuckle at the thought of Margo bossing around all the insects she came across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicity- I think these worms are especially delightful. Their personalities come through. :) Looking back- the bossing of the insects was pretty funny! ~F

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an adorable book, despite the worms :) Glad Margo enjoyed it so much. Made me think of Diary of A Worm too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda- The story really is adorable. It reminds me of Diary of a Worm, too (I love that whole series). :) ~F

      Delete
  6. I just put this on hold at the library. It looks like a really sweet book. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. :)~ F

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good read. I'm looking for it now...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget