Monday, June 21, 2021

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday # MMGM Book Review: Ida and the Unfinished City (The Lost Children Book 2) by Carolyn Cohagan

 

Ida is sixteen-years-old, but everyone treats her like she's a child. As frustrating as that is, she can't blame anyone because her appearance is frozen at what she looked like when she was twelve. After losing her parents, Ida is desperate to find a treatment that will allow her to age properly. She wants to grow up on the inside and the outside. She has spent years chasing the treatment, but nothing works. Finally one of her tactics lands on the Unfinished City. It is unlike anything she has ever seen before and she is shocked when she discovers that a giant wave floods the city every year and destroys everything. The people need to rebuild over and over again. She can't figure out why most of the people seem happy and are okay with losing all their possessions. Why would people want to live this way? Are the people who think differently dangerous? Ida is having a hard time figuring out who to trust, but she does have a lead on the treatment. If only she could get a straight answer out of someone. The Unfinished City may be just the place for her to finally be cured. Will Ida get the treatment and change? Is there a way for her to get back to the land she came from? Does she want to leave? You will have to get lost in this unique city and story to find out. 

I enjoyed Ida and the Unfinished City by Carolyn Cohagan. The cover appealed to me right away. Even though I hadn't read The Lost Children, it was very easy to follow along with Ida on her adventures. Nothing seemed hard to follow, so I would definitely say this book can be read as a stand alone. Ida is a tough girl with many survival skills. It was interesting to watch the way she reacted to the people she met. Like Ida, I was curious about the people who chose to build low when a giant wave was sure to wash away all of their belongings- and possibly their loved ones. It reminded me that it is always important to listen to others and hear their story so you can get a feel for their perspective. Ida had lots of decisions to make and there was plenty of tension and excitement. Now that I finished this book, I plan to go back and read the first book in the series. I recommend this book to people in fourth grade and up who enjoy a mixture of fantasy and reality. 

Has anyone else read Ida and the Unfinished City or The Lost Children? Or have you read another book by Carolyn Cohagan? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L

For other MMGM posts, please visit Greg Pattridge's blog.



40 comments:

  1. I haven't read either book - but based on your review I am going to have to track them down. Thank you. Drat you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC- I hope you enjoy them if you track them down. :)
      ~L

      Delete
  2. This sounds like such an intriguing story! The Unfinished City sounds like an intriguing place, and I’m curious why people choose to live there as well. I’m glad this story works as a stand-alone. Thanks so much for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely Full Bookshelf- It was definitely interesting to learn about why people wanted to live in a place that gets destroyed by floods each year. Glad you enjoyed the review. :) ~L

      Delete
  3. This is a new to me author and what a wonderful cover. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda- I liked the cover a lot too! :) ~L

      Delete
  4. I read this one a few months back and enjoyed it immensely. The main character makes it shine as does the plot. I've had a few young readers also say they loved the story. Thanks for featuring on MMGM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg- Glad to hear you enjoyed Ida and the Unfinished City and that you know some young readers who loved the story too. :) ~L

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this, but it sounds like an interesting twist on a fantasy story. So glad you liked it enough to read other books in the series. That says a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie- I thought it definitely had some interesting twists! :) ~L

      Delete
  6. I haven't read it but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this book but it sounds so oddly interesting that it has made me curious. Thanks for your review, it's always nice to discover a new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randomly Reading- I totally agree with you! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. The cover is very appealing. I agree with you! I'm not familiar with this unusual series, but it really interests me. Thanks for the great review. Will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia- Glad to introduce you to this series and I am so happy you enjoyed the review! :) ~L

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fascinating concept.
    Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting concept. I haven't read anything in this series. It's good to know about. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting idea... I've not seen anything like it. I'm a fan of sciri/fantasy, so I'll have to look for the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue- I thought it was different too! Enjoy! :) ~L

      Delete
  12. That cover really DOES draw you in. I mean, that shadow! Love it. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria Antonia- I agree! That shadow really makes you wonder when you see it. :) ~L

      Delete
  13. The book Ida and the Unfinished City by Carolyn Cohagan looks wonderful, I love the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachna- I thought the title was great too! :) ~L

      Delete
  14. This sounds really interesting, I love read about everything!!
    Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria- So glad it sounds interesting to you. Thanks for stopping by. :) ~L

      Delete
  15. New to me ... and yes the cover does look very good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel for Ada. When young we aim to look older, never thinking that looking younger than our years when we get older will be something of a blessing rather than a hinderance.

    What sounds like another great MG read, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicity- I thought it was an interesting concept too. We want to look older and then often we want to look younger. :) ~L

      Delete
  17. Sounds like an interesting story and the cover looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree - the cover is definitely eye-catching. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the cover and the book sounds really good! Thankyou for the review! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic Love Crow- Glad it sounds good to you! Hugs back! :) ~L

      Delete
  20. Wow! What a brilliant idea for a story. I'm gonna grab this very cool book, then send it to my grand daughter. Thanks for the info and review, and hope you're doing well! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RO- I hope you and your granddaughter both enjoy this one. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget