Monday, February 8, 2021

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday # MMGM Book Review: Unicorn Island by Donna Galanti

 

Twelve year old Samantha Sea Wells is happy to have finally settled down in one place for a whole year and is getting ready to spend the summer with her friends. Her excitement is soon dashed when she finds out her mother is working in Europe for the summer. With her mother gone, Sam will have to leave home and go stay with an uncle she doesn't know in Foggy Harbor. As soon as she arrives, she's disappointed by the boring town, which is so small compared to Brooklyn. Uncle Mitch is grumpy, and Sam feels out of place. She meets Tucker, and they become fast friends. Hanging out at her uncle's she and Tuck find a trapdoor, which leads to a secret room. Of course they have to explore! They find some artifacts that puzzle them and they have all kinds of questions. Then Uncle Mitch comes home, and he's very angry to find them snooping. He tells Sam she will have to leave and she's not allowed to see Tuck again. Later, she looks out over the water and notices the constant fog is lifting. Sam sees her uncle rowing toward an island that wasn't there before. Where is he going? And where did the island come from? What lies behind the fog? Sam and Tuck decide to find out. Are their eyes deceiving them? Should Sam and Tuck explore or stay away? You will have to read the first book in the Unicorn Island series to find out what happens next. 

I was so excited when I found out that Donna Galanti had a new book coming out. I have read other books by her and loved them, so I knew I was in for a treat when I picked up Unicorn Island (Volume 1). The cover drew me in right away- I love the colors and the sparkly title. Throughout the book there are many color illustrations by Bethany Standcliffe, which made the story even more magical. I think kids will be able to relate to Sam, and the fact that she was happy to finally be settled somewhere. I know visiting relatives can be fun, but it can also be stressful to go where you really don't know your family or anyone else. I was glad Sam made friends with Tuck, because he seemed nice and they got along. I could relate to exploring the room under the trapdoor, since I know I can't resist a good mystery. I would love to get to see unicorns in person, and I think anyone who enjoys magic will fall right into this story and want to go beyond the fog. I recommend this book to anyone eight and up who likes fantasy and mystery. I'm already looking forward to the next book in the series! 

Has anyone else read Unicorn Island? Or has anyone read anything else by Donna Galanti? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L

For other MMGM posts, please visit Greg Pattridge's blog.

Stop back here on Tuesday for a special spotlight on Unicorn Island!

41 comments:

  1. This sounds great! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie- I am glad it sounds great to you! I really enjoyed it. :) ~L

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. For sure, Alex. :) But with the title, Unicorn Island, we must hope so!

      Delete
  3. You got me with the trapdoor. I love mysteries too. I'm very excited that Donna has a new series out and am excited to feature her at Literary Rambles next month. Hope to read this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! I've always loved trapdoors, too, and secret places. :) I'm excited to come on Literary Rambles next month as well!

      Delete
  4. I am so excited to be back on Fairday's blog here with you! Thanks so much for reading and reviewing Unicorn Island! I'm so glad you liked it.

    The next series, Secret Beneath the Sand, comes out in May on the Epic! platform, the leading digital library for kids. It releases there in a 5-part serial and then hardcover next winter.

    I would love to see unicorns in person, too. The closest I've come is to the wild horses in Assateague. :) But if I WERE To ever have a pet unicorn, I would name her Galaxy Traveler because it's such a cool name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- We are so happy to have you on Fairday's Blog again. Such an exciting time for you!

      The series sounds so fun. Epic! is loved by so many kids, teachers, and librarians- so your story will be enjoyed by people everywhere. :)

      Galaxy Traveler sounds like a great name for a unicorn!
      ~Jess and Stephanie

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a cute story and plot!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty- It really is! :) ~L

      Delete
    2. Thanks Betty! It was fun to write, especially writing magical elements in the real world

      Delete
  6. Ooooh. Thank you both. And of course I would love to see a unicorn (despite that pesky virginity requirement).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC-It would be so cool to see one! :) ~L

      Delete
    2. If we imagine hard enough, perhaps we can! Of course, in stories they are always real :)

      Delete
  7. I have a review scheduled later this month. Can't wait to add some additional thoughts. The cover and story should hook a lot of readers. Thanks for featuring on Marvelous Middle grade Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg- How fun that you read Unicorn Island too! Looking forward to reading your review. I agree about the cover and story! Thanks for having us on MMGM. :) ~L

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for having me back on your blog, too, Greg! I appreciate the read and review.

      Delete
  8. I love stories about unicorns and other magical creatures. And there is a mystery involved. Agree with Natalie, you got me with the trap door. And, it is a series. Loved Bruce Coville's The Unicorn Chronicles. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia T- I haven't read Coville's The Unicorn Chronicles- but now I added it to my list. Enjoy Unicorn Island! :) ~L

      Delete
    2. Thanks Patricia! I've always loved secret places. When I was young and my parents would take me to visit their friends, I would wander off and hide away in their coat closets pretending there was a door to Narnia there :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds very good, one that our grand-daughter would enjoy.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan- I am sure your grand-daughter will love this book! :) ~L

      Delete
    2. I hope she enjoys it, Jan! It's also a good book to do read alouds together :)

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a really fun story! Also, I love the cover! I'm intrigued that this series is on Epic—I've heard of it, but I didn't know they had started releasing their own books. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely Full Bookshelf- I had heard of Epic! too- but hadn't realized they had started releasing their own books. So exciting! This is a beautiful book and fun story. :) ~L

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, Epic! has their own original stories, too. They were so wonderful to work with and they partner with Andrews McMeel to put the hardcover book out of Unicorn Island. Book 2, Secret Beneath the Sand, comes out in May on Epic! and then hardcover next winter.

      Delete
  11. This sounds really intriguing. I like the whole magical island thing and the mysterious uncle. I actually have a WIP that has some similarities. Will definitely be checking this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni- You will definitely have to check our Unicorn Island. How interesting that your WIP has some similarities! It's always fascinating reading a book with lots of similar elements to one we've written. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jenni! I love magical islands too and have another WIP I am writing that involves a much different kind of island --one that is alive. Happy writing to you!

      Delete
  12. Sounds good. Donna Galanti is a new to me author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- Glad to introduce you! Donna writes lots of fun middle grade books. :) ~L

      Delete
    2. Hope you can check it out and enjoy it, Kelly! I also have another MG series out that is fantasy adventure too, for the older MG crowd: Joshua and the Lightning Road. It's a spin on Greek mythology.

      Delete
  13. I have two young girls around me, that love Unicorns! I think I will be purchasing this book for them! Thanks for the review! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic Love Crow- I bet they'd love it! Glad you enjoyed the review. Hugs! :) ~L

      Delete
    2. I hope they enjoy it if they read it! :)

      Delete
  14. I don't really read fantasy, but I do love a good mystery. You make this sound very enticing. Maybe I will give it a shot. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- It's a fun book and perfect for the age group it's written for. The mystery and fantasy blend well. Hope you enjoy it. :) ~L

      Delete
    2. Rosi, hope you enjoy it if you read it. It's actually set in the real world but with a fantasy element. These are my favorite kind of books to write. :)

      Delete
  15. I think sounds really fun and lovely!! I love these type of books!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria- It really is a great story and I love the illustrations too! :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget