Monday, May 4, 2020

Margo's Musings: An Astronaut Painting the Moon?


We had a curbside delivery of books at our local library, so we ordered what we wanted ahead. Usually my little sister, Margo, loves running around and looking at the displays, and she picks the books we read. She still gave her thumbs up or thumbs down when we looked at the catalog, but her favorite book from this week's haul was one I requested, The True Story of Alan Bean: The Astronaut Who Painted the Moon

Looking up at the night sky is one of my family's favorite activities. It's a special time when we check out the constellations and the Moon. The Moon is amazing, and I think it would be fantastic to be an astronaut. The title grabbed my attention right away.


The True Story of Alan Bean: The Astronaut Who Painted the Moon is written by Dean Robbins and Illustrated by Sean Rubin. It tells the story of Alan as a boy, how he thought things looked, and his dream of becoming a pilot one day. When grew up and became a pilot, he also took painting classes. It was interesting to learn that he painted what he saw and let his imagination take over.  

As an astronaut he couldn't believe what the Moon and Earth were like from space.  He took pictures and even performed experiments on the soil. Once back on his home planet, Alan felt the pictures didn't do the Moon justice; they didn't show the magic. Alan set up Moon models and worked like a scientist to get everything right. Then he started painting what he saw and he let his imagination run wild.  He worked and worked until he felt his painting showed how the Moon made him feel. It was fascinating to learn about the ways he enhanced the textures in his artwork. 

Alan is an inspiration as an artist and an astronaut. The book has biographical information at the end, which I liked, but I think most of that went over Margo's head.


The pictures in the book caught our attention, but Alan's story made us fall in love with the Moon all over again. Margo and I set up easels and painted the Moon. I used a brush to paint, but my sister used her hands. Next week we'll do paintings of Earth.


I would definitely recommend this book to those who like space, painting, and using their imagination. You are sure to be inspired.


Has anyone else read The True Story of Alan Bean: The Astronaut Who Painted the Moon? Or have you read any other books written by Dean Robbins? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~F



43 comments:

  1. Fascinating story. Shame Alan couldn't do the illustrations himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- I thought the same thing. I wonder why they didn't go that route... :) ~F

      Delete
  2. It does sound wonderful - no matter what your age is. I believe that to be a sign of a most excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC- I agree! That is a good sign of an excellent book. :) ~F

      Delete
  3. This sounds such fun. I would love to be able to fly to the moon and paint there! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie- Wouldn't that be amazing! :) ~F

      Delete
  4. Not read this but the illustrations look amazing. And that's so awesome that you can get curbside delivery from your library. Ours has been closed since mid-March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie- Yes, we feel very luck to have curbside pickup at the library. Although I always find it fun to browse for books- it is possible to browse online and nice to get books in our hands. :) ~F

      Delete
  5. The illustrations are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L. Diane Wolfe- Aren't they great! :) ~F

      Delete
  6. Painting after reading the book sounds like a fun activity. The illustrations and colors look very inviting. Have a lovely week. Our library is just opening up for curbside this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda- Curbside pickup is great, and I imagine it a lot of work for the library staff- so I am so grateful for them. Painting is such fun! :) ~F

      Delete
  7. Sounds a fascinating story and a good book.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great and both Royals would get a kick out this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly- So glad it sounds great to you! :) ~F

      Delete
  9. Wow what a great book. I also liked that your library does curbside delivery! That is cool especially for kids' books as they really like to turn the pages and hold a book over a tablet.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty- I feel very lucky about having curbside pickup at my library. Such a treat and I know it is a lot of work for the library staff. It is wonderful to hold books in my hands. :) ~F

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful story. My daughter, well above the target age, might enjoy it still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Armchair Squid- I think it is a good book for anyone that enjoys learning interesting facts! Especially anyone interested in space and art! :) ~F

      Delete
  11. This does sound a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun book! It's cool when an author can take a biography and make it fun for kids. Now I want to go to the moon and paint it. It needs a little color! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry- Making biographies fun for kids is definitely a great skill and makes kids want to learn. Lol- the Moon could definitely use a little color. :) ~F

      Delete
  13. Oh, I love the sound and look of this book! Thanks for posting about it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- Glad to introduce you to it! :) ~F

      Delete
  14. I like this story. Sounds great to read with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know any of this about Alan Bean. What an amazing book. I'm going to look for it. Thanks for sharing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol- It was all new to me too! Glad it sounds good to you! :) ~F

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing about this book and introducing us to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the illustrations! It sounds like a great story too! Thank you! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic Love Crow- I enjoyed the illustrations too! :) ~F

      Delete
  18. The illustrations are wonderful! Very imaginative and fun story! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Di Gesu- It was so much fun learning about a real astronaut and his passion for painting. :) ~F

      Delete
  19. The stars and the moon fascinate me. Love reading about them. This book sounds great. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- I love learning about anything related to space. So much to wonder about! :) ~F

      Delete
  20. My granddaughter is hooked on painting, so I think she'd love this one so much! Thanks for sharing. Our library here has been closed, and not only that, they removed the drop boxes so people couldn't return germy books!(lol) Hope you're doing well! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ro- How awesome that your granddaughter is hooked on painting. :) Hope you are doing well too!

      Delete
  21. I love the images....and a perfect tie in book to what we have recently read :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget