Friday, October 19, 2018

Who's On The Other Side?

Grand old manors are known to keep secrets. The truth is hidden in the details by the characters that dwell within their walls. Coraline Jones may be young, but she has a keen eye and likes to explore. When her family moves into a flat that's part of a big spooky house, she sets out to investigate. Coraline meets the interesting people that live in the other flats, like Miss Spink and Miss Forcible, two strange women who have a bunch of dogs and a seemingly spiritual connection. Then there's the crazy man with the mustache and the invisible mouse circus. Coraline finds a weedy garden and a deep well she's not supposed to play around, which she does anyway. When it starts to rain, she's forced to stay inside. Her parents are busy working on their computers, it's raining buckets, she's bored- time to investigate the rooms in her new house. There are fourteen doors, and one is locked. She bugs her mom to open it, but there's nothing there, only a brick wall. A shadowy dream wakes her and she sees something dark move down the hall. She follows it to the door that opens to the brick wall. Remembering where her mom hid the key, she opens it and discovers a secret corridor that leads to another, better side of the house, where she finds her other mother and father waiting for her. They're doting and give her everything she wants, but there's something very wrong with their eyes.

Ah, Neil Gaiman. I just love his writing. The intertwining characters and scene building is brilliant. If you're into spooky house mysteries (we are!) then this is a story for you. I think it's brilliant that the manor is split up into flats, each with a character who brings a piece of the puzzle together- like how the flats make up the manor. The scenes with Miss Spink and Miss Forcible are fantastic, and I love that they predict things, but nonsensically; you must pay attention to pick up on the foreshadowing and woven in symbolism- one of the reasons I enjoy Neil Gaiman's writing so much. I would recommend this book to readers ages 10 and up. The book is scary, and it's awesome! (so is the movie.)

Has anyone else read Coraline or seen the movie? We'd love to hear your thoughts. Happy reading!

~ L

14 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book, but it sounds brilliant! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually haven't watched the movie. Trailer seemed just a little bit too odd for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the movie but not the book. Daughter loves both.

    I admire Gaiman tremendously but not everything he produces. I am not a horror fan at all and the more he tends in that direction, the less I like his work. Creepy's okay. Gross is not. Coraline is creepy. Sandman occasionally veers too far into gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think at one time I wanted to read this but then I saw bits of the movie and changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would love read this Jess!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi DMS - like Alex - I found the trailer a little odd. However - I've noted it to read/see ... but interesting to know about - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you I love Neil Gaiman's work. I have read the book, and it lived up to my expectations. I haven't seen the movie and probably won't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He sure can spin a tale indeed. The trailer for it seemed a bit off when I saw it back when. Guess I should give the movie a shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Neil Gaiman, though I still haven't read Coraline (and I haven't seen the movie, either)! It's on my TBR list, and I should read it sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like such a juicy good read! I love "other side" stories, ghost stories, spooky stories. Good review! You certainly piqued my interest for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly, I think the movie is better. I watched the movie then the book with Coraline and Stardust. I never say the movie was better but I think I prefer Neil Gaiman's ideas to his writing. Side note: I'm watching this for Boo-a-thon! Thank goodness it's on Netflix :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not read the book … yet!

    Hope your weekend has been a good one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Coraline movie SO VERY MUCH :D Ahhh. It is perfection. <3 I.. sadly did not love the book. Ahhh. Found it to be a bit dull, haha. And did not like the writing :( Which made me heartbroken, lol. I wanted to love it so much too. Sigh. But so happy that you did. <3 Awesome review lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget