Friday, May 4, 2018

Edward Gorey, Master of Mystery

"I just kind of conjured them up out of my subconscious and put them in order of ascending peculiarity."
~ Edward Gorey

Today, it is my personal pleasure to share with you an artist and writer who inspires me. Edward Gorey's books and illustrations are thought provoking and filled with mystery. I was introduced to his work by a friend who gave me a copy of The Gashlycrumb Tinies.


Edward Gorey's stories are like a macabre martini with a twist of peculiar. His lines are, oh so detailed, and they capture the essence of a scene in a most unique way. 

I've visited the Edward Gorey House, and I was delighted by what I found amidst his collection of extraordinary, and ordinary, things. Peculiarities indeed!

Edward Gorey was a fascinating person who enjoyed exploring his imagination. 

I very much appreciate the care and time he put into his illustrations and books. 

He was undoubtably a perfectionist.

His love for Balanchine's choreography in the New York City Ballet is legendary. It would have been amazing to see him there—and possible, as he attended every show.
Edward Gorey has been a great influence on my drawing and writing craft. I feel excited when something pops into a picture unexpectedly, and a new idea is born.



"When people are finding meaning in things, beware."
~ Edward Gorey


To learn more about Edward Gorey, visit the Edward Gorey House in Cape Cod. It's an experience you won't soon forget!

Edward Gorey, 1925-2000
____________________________________________________________


Here is a "Goreyesque" attempt at a short story. I didn't have time to finish this project for the post, as the idea came about on Sunday when Stephanie and I decided the theme this week was Edward Gorey. I will finish it at some point, as I absolutely adore illustrating short story lines like these. It will take a long time to complete the sketches (I had big aspirations of getting it done by Friday, but that was a ridiculous goal). I did listen to Igor Stravinsky and watch Agon performed to Balanchine's choreography by the New York City Ballet to channel inspiration. I can understand why Edward Gorey enjoyed it. The performance is methodical and mesmerizing, like his art. 

The Lingering Lull
By Jessica Haight





Abby sat with naught to do.




Becket tied up his shoe.




Caitlin flipped through a book.



Dedalus was afraid to look.






Enon waited for the call.








Fran crept lightly down the hall.


Goodwin raced toward the door.





Hadley knew she wanted more.


















Icarus swatted at a fly.




Jessica sneaked in like a spy.















Kathryn shouted, “Zip it up!”
          Lori sipped from a cup.

                           Maureen tutted at the show.
                                      Ned decided where to go.

                                              Olive made a big mistake.
                                                       Paul cut out a slice of cake.

                                 Quentin couldn’t find the word.
                                        Rachel wasn’t seen nor heard.

                            Stephanie twiddled two bored thumbs.
                                       Tony swept up breadcrumbs.

                Ursula sneezed from a cold.
                         Victor hated being old.

       Winnie chased off a cat.
                Xena fell over flat.

Yori stood to get a drink.
        Zack didn’t wish to think.
______________________________________________

Check out Edward Gorey's Books

36 comments:

  1. LOVING your illustrated story.
    And thank you for introducing me to someone about whom I knew less than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC- So glad you are enjoying my illustrated story. I am happy to introduce you to Edward. I think he and his work are fascinating. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  2. Fun flow with the story and show. Sounds like he was quite the interesting guy as he let his imagination fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat- He was and he did. I had fun with the story. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever heard of him. From your story and what was at his house, I gather he was quite the character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L. Diane Wolfe- Glad to introduce you. He really was quite the character. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  4. I love the 'Gorey' piece you made! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's always been one of my favorites so thanks for this. I didn't know about his Cape Cod House. And I really love your drawings and story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie- I highly recommend visiting his house if you get the chance. Awesome to meet another fan. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  6. Hi Jess - how fascinating ... and your poem is a delight, while your illustrations are just magical. I'd love to visit Gorey's home/museum ... but sadly unlikely. However I'll be seeing some of his influence through your works - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary- So happy you enjoyed the poem and illustrations. You'll definitely be seeing his influences in my work. :) Thanks! ~Jess

      Delete
  7. Hi Jess,

    What an interesting artist. I never heard of him. I should be in New England sometime in late summer. I must drop in and visit his house. Thanks for sharing his fascinating work....

    Love the poem and Illustrations, Jess! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to introduce you to him, Michael. If you get to his house/museum I think you will really enjoy it. So happy you enjoyed the poem and illustrations. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  8. Edward Gorey is new to me. He sounds so interesting.You are awesome too, dear lady. Your artwork is fantastic, your story beautiful. And the cat is adorable. Thanks for this great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- Your kind words made my day. You are so sweet. Happy to introduce you to Edward. I love his work. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  9. I know I've seen Gorey's artwork around, but it's really interesting to put a face and story to the work! Also, I really enjoyed your piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- I always like putting a face with a name and work too. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  10. Great job with the story! And Hadley is my dog's name. I love that name. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- I love the name Hadley too. :) Thanks! ~Jess

      Delete
  11. I'd forgotten all about Edward Gorey until your posts reminded me. So thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to remind you about Gorey, Kate. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  12. I'd not heard of him, so it was interesting to read your post, thank you.

    Have a great weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to introduce you someone new, Jan. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing this with us. I hadn't heard of him before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary- Happy to be the one to introduce you to his work! :) ~Jess

      Delete
  14. Love it! His name is new to me - thanks for the intro :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post :D Thank you for sharing about this author. <3 He seems like he was awesome. I might have to check out his books too :) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina- If you check out his books- I hope you enjoy them. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  16. I love this post! Thank you! Thank you for sharing about Edward Gorey. Jessica, I really enjoyed your art and words!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic Love Crow- So glad you liked the post. Thanks for your kind words about my art and writing. :) Hugs! ~Jess

      Delete
  17. Nice story! Thanks for introducing us to Edward Gorey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading about him and his artwork made me think of Ransom Rigg's book series Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It sounds so unique! I am glad he could be such an inspiration to you and your writing/artwork. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia- I can see why you thought of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I loved that book and can see similarities. :) ~Jess

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget