Friday, March 24, 2017

Dreams in the Wind

“Whatever you want to do, if you do it with all your heart, it will happen.” 
~William Kamkwamba

This is the true story of William Kamkwamba who was born in Malawi, Africa. He and his family lived on a farm where they grew corn, a staple of every meal. As a boy he believed in magic, and even spent money on a potion that would make him stronger than the kids who were teasing him. Unfortunately, he found out too late that it didn’t take care of his problems. William loved school and is proud after he is accepted to secondary school. He wanted to continue his education and hoped to learn more about his favorite subject, science. When the grounds are flooded and then no more rain comes there is a terrible drought that leaves his family with only a few bags of food for the next year. No food to eat and none to sell. All around him people in his village are withering away like the crops that didn’t grow. The cost of school can no longer be afforded and eating less than a meal a day barely keeps William alive. When the next corn husks grow and can finally be eaten he begins to get his energy back. Hoping to one day go back to school, William spends much of his time in the local library, amazed at the three shelves of books he can borrow from. Through these books he learned about windmills, energy, and a dream of bringing electricity to his farm and village takes root. Finding the materials he needs isn’t easy and everyone who sees him working thinks he is crazy. Other kids make fun of him for collecting garbage, but still he dreams. Will William be able to make electricity from his creation? Are the obstacles in his way too much? Is his family strong enough to wait it out while he works on his plan? Read this remarkable story of a boy whose curiosities lead him down a path that would change his life forever.

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer is a true story that will inspire you to ask questions about the world around you. So often we make judgments about what is going on, but we don’t work on solving the problem ourselves. William’s love of learning is an inspiration! I enjoyed discovering how kids in his village are just like kids in other parts of the world. It was also fascinating to hear about the way our lives are different. William is definitely someone I would like to know, because I loved the way he didn’t let people dash his dreams. He believed in himself. Sometimes you're the only one who knows you can do it, but that can be enough. Reading this book will help kids and adults see that each of us can make a difference. Sometimes we may fail along the way, but we all have the possibility to make the world a better place. I would recommend this book to people of all ages. There are three versions- so you can find the one that is just right for you. This is a great book for families to read together and who knows, you may be inspired to start creating!

Has anyone else read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind? There are three versions- adult, young adult, and picture book. If you’ve read any of them, please let us know which edition! We’d love to hear your thoughts. 

Happy Reading!
~L


45 comments:

  1. I like that it comes in several versions.
    I'm sure it's an eye-opener as to how William's people live. We all have electricity and take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- It really is eye-opening. Learning about different ways of life is so important. I know I have taken electricity for granted. I think it is cool that the book comes in three versions. Fun for the whole family! :) ~L

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deleted my comment above. Had a typo. Always enjoy reading true stories. This sounds interesting.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty- I hate when I have typos and I don't see them until too late. :) Reading true stories helps us learn more about other people and the world. Definitely helps us open our minds. :) ~L

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a fabulous and very moving story. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie- Jael- It is! There is also an audio version of the book too! Inspirational. :) ~L

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Gloria- I thought so! I can't imagine doing what William did, but think he is a wonderful role model. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. It sounds wonderful - as does William. I always love reading books which reveal despite our material differences we have so many similarities. And our dreams are often similar too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC- I love seeing how connected people across. Our dreams, hopes, games, and ideas have so many similarities. Our differences are fun to learn about too! I highly recommend this one. :) ~L

      Delete
  8. Neat how it comes in many versions. So many things we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat- I think the different versions are awesome and make this a book that kids and adults can all enjoy and discuss. Definitely highlights what we take for granted! :) ~L

      Delete
  9. What a touching story and inspiring to never give up on your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi DMS - another amazing story - loved reading about William and will add the book to my wish list ...

    I heard about Erasto Mpemba - who created the Mpemba effect ... hot ice-cream freezes faster than cooled ice-cream ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect and wrote about it - in relation to the colours of geological granite - pink, cream, chocolate ...

    Certainly inspiring ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary- I think you will love this book. Thanks for sharing about Erasto Mpemba. I will have to look up that article! Thanks for sharing. :) ~L

      Delete
  11. This sounds like such a fantastic story and one that will inspire kids and adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- I imagine this book will inspire people to try to make positive changes and to see if they can fix problems they see around them. :) ~L

      Delete
  12. Yes, this sounds fascinating. I do hope lots of kids get to read this story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have heard about this book. Glad to know you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Armchair Squid- It is a great read. There is an audio book as well. :) ~L

      Delete
  14. This sounds wonderful. I agree that many of us, myself included, make judgments but don't work on solving the problem. I should probably read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny- I think this is a book we can all learn from. :) ~L

      Delete
  15. Pretty darn amazing. I've heard about him and watched a little video on Facebook but haven't read any of the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna- Now you have made me curious about the little video. I will have to look up William and see what I find. I think you will enjoy any of the book versions. :) ~L

      Delete
  16. I've never heard of this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the review. You and your daughter would enjoy reading this story in the format that is best for you. :) ~L

      Delete
  17. I love that through innovation and science he learned that he could make a difference in the world. A book I would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon- You will love it! Such an inspirational book. :) ~L

      Delete
  18. Sounds like an amazing true story! Would love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy- I hope you get to read it (or listen to it on audio). A fabulous story! :) ~L

      Delete
  19. This sounds like a fabulous read! I've heard of the story but haven't read the book yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- I hope you get to read it! Awesome to see science in motion in this book. :) ~L

      Delete
  20. I think this must be unique. Three versions of one book, adult, junior and picture. To catch all ages, of course. A great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria- I love that there are different versions for different ages. A great way for families to enjoy the book and story together. :) ~L

      Delete
  21. Oh wow, this sounds like an incredibly deep and moving read which has a lot of real life grounded in it. But not only that, it is written in a way which is accessible to children too. That is really important when it comes to conveying such life long messages and stories such as this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia-Savannah- I couldn't agree more! Beautifully said! This story is an inspiration for kids and adults. Science and asking questions are both so important. Also- we shouldn't laugh at the ideas of others. :) ~L

      Delete
  22. I love true stories... I really hope he was able to build that windmill and bring electricity to his town xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Launna- I think you will love reading or listening to this one. Such a wonderful story! :) ~L

      Delete
  23. I love this statement you made: "So often we make judgments about what is going on, but we don’t work on solving the problem ourselves." If we don't try to solve our own problems then we can't better our lives. This is such a great true story. You have now given me two true stories I want to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriana- The audio of this book is very well done, if you want to listen to it. Definitely an inspiration! :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget