Friday, August 23, 2013

Village Story Peddlers!


The DMS wants to send some good cheer out to those wonderful independent books sellers. So, we decided that it would be great to share some of our favorite corner bookstores with you. 

Today, we want to tell you about Linda's Story Time in Monroe, CTThis unique book nook has all the charm and enchantment you can imagine.


We were lucky enough for the chance to meet Patricia Polacco at Linda's Story Time. It was wonderful to see so many young readers excited about books, and a good time was had by all!






Let's welcome Linda, the owner of this great corner book shop!
Here's the story... 

I opened Linda's Story Time in 1999, after working in the independent book business for 15 years at Klein's of Westport. My boss and mentor, Livia Ryan, taught me everything there was to know about the book business at the time. I became the manager of the children's book department after several years, and the manager of the entire book department when Livia Ryan retired. When Klein's closed in early 1999, the owner of the store, Stanley Klein, offered to be my business partner in a new children's book store, which I would create. 
I had a vision of what Linda's Story Time should be: an inviting, colorful, energetic place where children age 0 to 18 would browse and find their next new treasure of a book. They would also find crafts, puppets, and other educational and fun gifts. Over the years, I added an eclectic adult section, which has increased in size and selection. I've had invaluable help from my mother and my husband, as well as from several friends. I've hosted many events such as author book signings, children's book character visits, Star Wars Reads Day, Where's Waldo in Monroe Scavenger Hunt, and educational evenings for parents and teachers. I also provide book fairs in many Connecticut elementary, middle, and high schools. Linda's Story Time is always evolving - and it's a labor of love! 




What is your favorite book to chat about?
 

One of my favorite books to talk about is Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, written and illustrated by Kevin Henkes. Lilly is a handful - just the way I like my young characters. After shopping with her grandmother, Lilly brings to school a purple plastic purse that plays a jaunty tune and has three jingly quarters inside. It's not time for show-and-tell, but Lilly can't shut up about her new treasure. Her adored teacher, Mr. Slinger, takes the purse away; oh, the drama that ensues! Every emotion is present - joy, heartache, guilt, regret, and ultimately relief. Henkes is a master of his crafts - he shows instead of telling. With just the right understated phrase and the most illustrative postures and facial expressions, Lilly's story jumps off the two-dimensional page and into the reader's life.



Check out Linda's Story Time
 and open your world to the magic of books!



33 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, My idea of heaven,I believe every one should have a book shop like this near them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petty- I agree that we should all have a shop like this near our house! :) ~L

      Delete
  2. I wish I had an indie store near me ):
    I love that potential community/belong feeling. It's YOUR local bookstore and with all the events and books there are to buy it makes it that much more wonderful. Sigh...
    I love that she likes to talk about a book by Kevin Henkes. I love Chrysanthemum by him <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adriana,
      I love that feeling too! Nothing better than an eclectic little book nook. : ) Thanks so much for popping by! ~ F

      Delete
  3. I wish I had a bookshop like this near my house :(

    Lilly's purple plastic purse sounds adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachna, Thanks for stopping by! Kevin Henkes is great- I love the illustrations! ~ F

      Delete
  4. What a delightful looking book store! I love small book stores and it grieves me to think they may be on their way out with all the Internet competition. I still prefer the personal touch. I have a couple I visit and can spend hours browsing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna Maria, It is a lovely book shop! I hope they aren't on their way out. I always believe I'm going to find a magical book covered in dust that no one has noticed- lol! Thanks for stopping by! ~ F

      Delete
  5. I wish that book store was in my town it would be a perfect place to take my kids. Love the idea of event days! The Purple Purse book sounds fun. I am adding it to my library list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi, It's such a great little book nook. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts with us : ) ~ F

      Delete
  6. Nice to meet Linda! Linda's Story Time sounds like a magical place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Always a pleasure to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by : ) ~ F

      Delete
  7. I just want to send the night in this store...with a pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a neat sounding store. I wish I lived near CT. If I ever visit that direction, I'm making Linda's Story Time a stop in my trip. Thanks so much for sharing and thank you to Linda for all the hard work she does in exposing kids to reading.

    Paul R. Hewlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, It's definitely worth stopping by this magical book store. Great to hear from you. : ) ~ F

      Delete
  9. Great bookstore! I used to go to Klein's when I worked in Westport in the early 90s, so I probably bumped into Linda a time or two. I'll have to stop in and check it out! Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg, Cool! Thanks for sharing this with us- small world. : ) ~ F

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing! I love small bookstores. You can really tell they are well-loved and the people who run them are big fans of books and reading. I'd love to have my own book shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shooting Stars Mag, Thank you for stopping by! They are, that's what makes them so special. : ) ~ F

      Delete
  11. I so wish I had a store like that nearby... most are closed:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi T.F. Walsh, Rats! I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the magical book nooks make a comeback near you. : ) ~ F

      Delete
  12. I miss having bookstores by me. They all closed, and it's really sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, That's a bummer. It is sad. Book stores are such a magical entranceway to the world of stories. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts with us! ~ F

      Delete
  13. Linda’s Story Time looks wonderful. If I ever get anywhere close you will find a 60 something year-old child browsing and looking for her next new treasure!
    I love the sound of Lilly’s purple plastic purse, and I know my little granddaughter Lilly Grace would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, Let me know when you're here- the DMS would love to hang out with you : ) ~ F

      Delete
  14. This sounds like the perfect bookstore to me! Wish I lived closer to visit :) Thankfully there are some awesome indies in my town that I frequent--they're so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meradeth, Cool! I'm glad to hear that you have some awesome indie book stores near you. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts with us : ) ~ F

      Delete
  15. Looks like such a cute bookstore. Wish my small town here in Norway had cute bookstores. Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Indie stores. Thanks for the great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Carina and Natalie, Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts with us! Independent book stores are the best : ) ~ F

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it is wonderful that there are still small bookstores surviving. I truly enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- Thanks! It is so great to see small bookstores full of life and doing so well. :) Glad you enjoyed the post! ~F

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget