Friday, June 21, 2013

Author Interview with Kim Harrington

The DMS was lucky enough to interview Kim Harrington. Lizzy recently reviewed her middle grade mystery Sleuth or Dare, and it was great to share our thoughts about it and hear yours! We are excited to learn a little bit more about the story behind her stories. So, without further ado... take it away, Kim! 



What inspired you to write Sleuth or Dare: Partners in Crime?

When I started brainstorming, I thought about what kind of book I would’ve loved at around age nine or ten. And, though I wanted to write a mystery, I didn’t want the plot to be a simple “who stole the [insert item here].” I wanted something more complex, yet still age appropriate. So that took a bit of thinking and daydreaming.

How long did it take you to write Sleuth or Dare: Partners in Crime?

It took about 8-12 weeks to write each one. That’s very fast for me, but I had tight deadlines so I pushed myself hard.

What are some of your favorite books from childhood? Were there any specific authors who inspired you?

It’s funny, but my favorite series as a child was Choose Your Own Adventure. I adored those books. Even then, I wanted to be in charge of the character’s choices!


Where did you come up with the characters Darcy and Norah?

Darcy and Norah are very close to my heart. I really wanted to write about two strong, smart girls who were nerds and PROUD of it. I wrote a (probably overlong) blog post about why that was so important to me here. I love those girls!





If you could befriend a character from any of your books, who would you befriend? Why?

Probably Clare from Clarity. Though it would be a bit scary to be friends with someone who could have access to your secrets. (I think that’s one of the reasons Clare has trouble making friends. People want to keep their secrets to themselves.) But Clare is very loyal and I think once she’s your friend she’d back you up for life.

Where do you like to write? Do you listen to music while you are writing?

For the most part I write in my living room in complete silence. Sometimes I can listen to instrumental music (movie soundtracks, Explosions in the Sky, etc.). I’m not one of those writers who can bang out a chapter in Panera. I’m too easily distracted.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?

Right here. While I’ve done a lot of traveling, I’ve always lived in Massachusetts. And despite the snow and the long winters and the crazy drivers, I would never want to live anywhere else. I love this state. I love it like you love a person. It’s just a part of me.

Do you have a favorite part of the universe that you would like to see up close or visit (if it was safe)?

Wow! What a cool question! I’ve always been fascinated with Titan, the largest moon of Saturn. If you look at photos, it seems like it might be Earth-like. It has mountains and lakes and an atmosphere. But it is beyond cold. The temperature is –180 degrees. The lakes are liquid methane, not water. It’s a perfect example of looks being deceiving. ;)








26 comments:

  1. Whenever I read these interviews and the question about characters come up I always want to know if ever the author has written a character(s) that they truly didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Titan would be a lot of fun to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- Thanks! I agree about Titan. :) ~L

      Delete
  3. I'm proud of being a nerd/geek (although my Mom says I am neither of those), let's face the truth - I AM! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erik- You are too funny! I think nerd/geeks are cook. Being smart is awesome! :) ~L

      Delete
  4. I have read her YA books but not any MG books, I will pin this on my kids board. Fun interview. I have never thought what I would like to see in the universe, I guess a comet? Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- I haven't read any of Kim's YA books, yet. I am glad you enjoyed the interview! A comet would be so cool to see up close. Have a great week! :) ~L

      Delete
  5. Love the interview and love love love the tree photos...super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty! Aren't tress the best! :) ~L

      Delete
  6. Oh! I remember when CLARITY came out, and I loved that premise! And now I see there are new exciting books. I think the title SLEUTH OR DARE is such a clever play on words. I'm wishing Kim huge success! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexa- I love the title too! It is so clever. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. Great interview and sounds like a great book. I always like it when people asked if they had a choice of where to live answer like Kim did...right here at home. I feel it means they are satisfied and happy with life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I think it is wonderful that Kim is so happy with her home too. Yeah! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. Great interview :) Love the passion Kim feels for her 2 characters! We need strong female characters like these 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jemi! Strong female characters are so important. :) ~L

      Delete
  9. Yay for nerd girls! Sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate! I agree! It is a great read. :) ~L

      Delete
  10. Never heard of this before, but it sounds awesome :D Thank you for sharing about the book and the interview. <3
    Thank you for commenting on my blog. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina- Glad to introduce you to a new book. :) So happy you enjoyed the interview. Thanks for commenting on our blog. :) ~F and L

      Delete
  11. Great to meet Kim! All success to her on her books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, everyone! I really enjoyed doing this interview and reading your comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim- Thanks for stopping by and reading the comments from our readers. We loved interviewing you and having you as a guest on our blog. Happy reading and writing! :) ~Jess and Stephanie

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget