Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Who is the Prisoner of Azkaban?

It was quite some time ago that I reviewed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, a book that began my journey on my favorite series of all time. Although I haven’t reviewed the second book in the series, I am sharing my thoughts on the third book because it ties in so perfectly with our theme this week. I promised to come back and review The Chamber of Secrets before too long : ) 

Happiness can be found in even the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
 ~ J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 

Harry is home for the summer, but his time with the Dursleys takes a turn for the worse when he accidentally blows up his Aunt Marge. Fearing trouble now that he has used magic out of school, Harry does the only thing he can think of- he flees. Taking his beloved owl, Hedwig, with him he races into the night only to be rescued by the Knight Bus. Who knew that magical escape buses were just around the corner when you need them? Harry worried that he would be thrown out of school, but instead he enjoys the rest of his summer exploring Diagon Alley. Back on the Hogwarts Express, headed towards his favorite place on Earth, Harry is suddenly overcome by darkness and sorrow. He feels like his life is being sucked right out of him. Dementors, the guards from the wizards’ prison, Azkaban, are on the train. The only person who seems to truly experience their horrid wrath is Harry. Of course, Malfoy uses this as an opportunity to ridicule Harry, but that is the least of his worries. It seems that a dangerous prisoner, Sirius Black, has escaped from Azkaban, and he is after Harry. Not only that, but Professor Trelawney, the divinations teacher, has foreseen Harry’s death. One bright spot is Professor Lupin, their newest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Will Sirius Black find Harry? Could Professor Trelawney be right and Harry is in grave danger? Is there any way for Harry to combat the effects of the Dementors? You will fly through the pages of this book while you grip the edge of your seat in anticipation of what will happen next.


I was obsessed with the Harry Potter series as soon as I began the first book, but Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban took the series to a whole new level for me. The magical elements that are included in the story, the creatures, and the new characters all captivated my imagination. I loved the way that Ron, Harry, and Hermione grew and changed in their third year at Hogwarts. Their friendship developed and we got to see Hogsmeade and magical elements that we had never seen before. It was such fun to learn about Sirius Black and enchanted maps. The Marauders's Map is still one of the items I covet the most, and I think its creators were genius. The Time Turner takes you places you can't even imagine, and reading what happens when you use it- I would love to have one for my very own! I want to be a part of these books, and I cannot recommend them enough to others. If you haven’t read them- you really must give them a try. The audios are out of this world and once you hear Jim Dale, and the voices he captures for each character, you will be hooked! Reading this book will bring a smile to your face and you will be satisfied and eager for the fourth book in this enchanting series.
Has anyone else read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban?  Or any other books by J.K. Rowling?  We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading! ~L

30 comments:

  1. I Loved the HP series. I reread the first three, stalled on the fourth but only because I have so many other books to read. Just really really really loved that series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who could fail to love HP and you know the best thing? A teaching assistant working with children aged 7 to 8 at the time, nearly all of them Boys as well as girls, would you believe it?) were reading of harry's adventures in a way I'd never known before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Petty, That's excellent! H. P is awesome : ) Thanks so much for stopping by! ~ F

      Delete
  3. Oh yes...I've read and devoured the whole series! It's a favorite of mine. Great review and I love the quote you chose to share....very wise. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GMR, Thanks! J.K. is the master. Reading the Harry Potter books as they came out was one of the best adventures! Thanks so much for stopping by to share your thoughts with us : ) ~ F

      Delete
  4. I LOOVE Harry Potter. Prisoner of Azkaban was actually the first book in the series which I ever read. It was the one that got me hooked on JK Rowling :)

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nutshell, Interesting! I can't imagine starting from there- what a whirlwind of a read! It's like from book 3 on, she just kept stepping it up a notch! Great to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by : ) ~ F

      Delete
  5. Hey!~ Glad I found your blog!!

    I totally agree. Prisoner of Azkaban sealed the deal for me and I became an avid fan afterwards. I mean, it was all adorable before, but that volume really set Rowling apart as a gifted storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PK- So glad you found our blog, too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Prisoner of Azkaban. :) ~Jess and Stephanie

      Delete
  6. I haven't read the books, but I loved the movies. I'll have to read them one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M. Pax- If you love the movies- then the books will blow you away! I highly recommend the audio version if you want to listen while you do something else (like drive). Hope you get to them soon. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. You know me. I love the HP series. I read them every year and they never get boring. Sirius and Lupin quickly become two more of my favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- I love that you enjoy the series so much and that you reread them each year (I reread them all the time). Sirius and Lupin are both fascinating characters. :) ~L

      Delete
  8. I know I've said this before, but I haven't read Harry Potter yet. My Korean kids have read the series in Korean and they want to read it in English, so I'll most probably join them then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudine- I just know you will be captivated by the series when you read it. I can't wait to hear your thoughts. :) ~L

      Delete
  9. This was one of my favorite books in the series. (I really loved The Half-Blood Prince too.) Sirius is such a great character and I loved that Harry found family. The time-turner was awesome, too. I need one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- There are so many great elements to The Prisoner of Azkaban. It is such a fun read. I also love book 5- and each time I read it I like it even more. :) ~L

      Delete
  10. I love HP! I’ve read all the books a couple of times now and keep promising myself I will read them again soon. I loved your review, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! It is a series that only becomes more magical with each read. :) ~L

      Delete
  11. Katertot adores this series!! I am ashamed to say that I have not read past the first book. Your review and my daughter's scolding have convinced me that I MUST make time to correct such a grave injustice! LOL! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheles Bells- Katertot is right- you must read this series soon. You will love it and wonder why it took you so long to read it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts! ~L

      Delete
  12. I was never obsessed with the books. I actually refused to read them but I loved the movies. Just before the sixth movie came out I read all the books in a week! It's good that I didn't have to wait (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriana- I am glad you eventually gave in and read the series. You read them all in a week- that is great! I am sure it was awesome not to have to wait. I kept worrying that I would somehow never find out how they ended because I was in such suspense. I worried that something would happen to me or to J.K. Rowling. :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
  13. I actually just finished reading this one the other day! I liked it alot more than the previous two books which is great - especially as the series wasn't working out so much for me. I liked Hermoine's character a whole lot more, and I think the Sirius Black storyline was great but it was predictable for me. The one I didn't see coming had to do with Professor Lupin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia- Glad to hear you liked this one more than the first two. For me books 3-on are the best in the series. I hope you enjoy the rest of them. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget