Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Holiday Tales...The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen

Lizzy and I thought it would be fun to share the stories that have meant so much to us through the holidays. Lizzy will be back tomorrow with a new book review, but today I wanted to talk about a story that I have always loved and makes me tear up every time I read it. ~ F


The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Anderson takes you right out onto the cold winter streets with a little shoeless girl peddling matches. She's clothed in only rags, her bare feet are blue from freezing, and she's made no money, not even one penny. All she has is the matches in a bundle. She cannot go home, her father will beat her for not selling her wares. The little match girl looks into the windows of decorated homes and warm hearths, then huddles between two of houses. In the snow and cold, she tries to stay warm. She lights a match... it's brilliance rises, warming her with a bit of magic, then burns out. She lights another... her illumination rises with the light of the flame... and then, another...

This story will warm your heart and lift your soul. It paints a beautiful picture of love and grace, which live on through darkness and sorrow. It is my favorite holiday story and a very personal one to me. I feel happy and peaceful after having written this and shared it with you...Happy Holiday's Everyone!

Lizzy and I would love to hear what stories you have enjoyed and have made your holiday season magical!

13 comments:

  1. I always loved Frosty the Snowman. Every year, my Dad and I build a great snowman in the front yard and then top it with a black silk hat that my dad has had since he was a kid. It's one of my favorite things to do at Christmas time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of Strega Nona...and another one about this man who wants to outdo his neighbors and goes crazy decorating his house with lights!!!

    And a snow one that allows you to press the snowflakes and hear a bell sound...

    Am I good with titles or what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story. It was always one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds beautiful...I may have to find it to gift to my nieces!!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for popping over to our Weekly Book Blog Hop, hope to see you next week xxx Now following you hoping you will follow us back at http://www.beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com thks in advance xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right back at you! Followed and enjoyed your blog!

    LOL Patty! That's how I am with directions and street names- "you know, just turn by the blue house and then take a left at the big tree... : )

    Donna, it is such a beautiful story! Always nice to hear from you!

    Melissa, your nieces will love The Little Match Girl, it is very special to me because of my relationship with my Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Little Match Girl is a great story. Hans Christian Anderson is one of the greatest storytellers, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read several of Andersen's stories, but never this one. Sounds beautiful, can't wait to check this out. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the little match girl, and Dickens a Christmas carol and the poem ‘twas the night before Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  10. l love this tale ,read it every chrismas eve

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this book when I was little- but I think I will reread it this year. I don't know if I really understood it the first time.

    I love the snow on your blog. COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greg, Trev, Barbara, and Roro- so nice to hear that others love this story, too! It is a great holiday read.

    Elaine and Jennifer- you will enjoy it I am sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget