Friday, March 23, 2018

Margo's Musings: Can You Spin A Name?

We’ve been doing a fairy tale unit at school and working on writing our own versions. After my teacher read, Frankly, I'd Rather Spin Myself a New Name! The Story of Rumpelstiltskin as Told by Rumpelstiltskin by Jessica Gunderson. I knew I had to share it with my little sister, Margo. I was right, she loved it! 
This book is a twist on the traditional version of Rumpelstiltskin, because it's told from Rumpelstiltskin’s perspective. I know a lot of people feel bad for the maiden who has to spin straw into gold and can’t do it, but I have always felt a little sorry for Rumpelstiltskin, so hearing his take on the tale made me feel justified. As he tells the story, he makes lots of side comments to the reader. These cracked us up as we read.

Margo and I loved this book! The illustrations are bright and colorful. Looking at the character's expressions was our favorite part! Both the maiden and Rumpelstiltskin make some faces that had us is hysterics.
There are lots of books in this series- so I look forward to reading more of them with Margo. Not only are they entertaining, but they help us remember that there are two sides to every story.

Has anyone else read, Frankly, I'd Rather Spin Myself a New Name! The Story of Rumpelstiltskin as Told by Rumpelstiltskin? Or have you read another book by Jessica Gunderson? We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Happy reading!
~ F

40 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun twist. We're all for snarky little side comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat- The comments d make it lots of fun! :) ~F

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great idea to show Rumpelstiltskin's side of the story! Glad you enjoyed the fun. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie- I do like seeing the other side! It's a lot of fun. :) ~F

      Delete
  3. I love fairy tales which are classic, and when someone puts a different spin on it to reach new readers, it's great. These are the kinds of stories I'l love to share with my granddaughter. Hugs...and Happy Friday! RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ro- The twists on the fairy tales give us lots to talk about for sure. Amazing how many ways they can be rewritten and changed up! :) ~F

      Delete
  4. The series sounds WONDERFUL. I am a lover of fairy tales and have often thought that they were perhaps a tad one sided...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC- I have always loved them too and seeing the other side definitely makes you think! :) ~F

      Delete
  5. Hiya - Jessica Gunderson's books sounds like enormous fun - loved the idea of this ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love twists on classic fairy tales. This sounds like a cute and fun story. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrys- You are welcome! I think twists are lots of fun! :) ~F

      Delete
  7. Who doesn't like fairy tales!
    Sounds fun!

    Have a great weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a fun new take on the classic story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when they switch up classics like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- I agree because it always makes me think! :) ~F

      Delete
  10. Oh, wild! I always thought he was the one to be sorry for, too. I'll have to see if the library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia- I love to hear that you agree that he was someone to feel sorry for. I hope your library has it. It is a short picture book. The whole series is a blast! :) ~F

      Delete
  11. Ohh, a story from his point of view sounds pretty great, haha :D And this book looks aaadorable. Love those pictures you shared :D Lovely review. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina- Glad you like the illustrations. It is a very cute book and lots of fun. :) ~F

      Delete
  12. I haven't read it but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds great. I always thought poor old Rumplestiltskin was hard done by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this one. It sounds like a fun story.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra- Hope you have a happy weekend too! :) ~F

      Delete
  15. This sounds like so much fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rumplestilkskin is one of my favourite characters and fairytales and I want to read this too now! The illustrations look absolutely love too. Great review x

    My recent post: http://oliviascatastrophe.com/2018/03/top-10-best-book-to-film-adaptions/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia- Savannah- Oh- you have to read this. It is a picture book and it is short. A fast read! Enjoy! ~L

      Delete
  17. This sounds like a great twist! I think it would be a fun book to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic Love Crow- I do enjoy a good twist. :) ~L

      Delete
  18. What a neat story idea. I love fairy tales and want to read this one. Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- I love fairy tales too. Lots of fun and this is a great one. Enjoy. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget