Friday, August 18, 2017

Can They Find the Evidence to Prove They're Clones?

Project Osiris was an experiment to find out what happens when criminal masterminds are cloned and raised in ideal, happy, loving situations. When Tori, Amber, Malik, Eli, and Hector found out that they were part of the experiment they refused to be someone's science project any longer. In Masterminds, the first book in the series, the kids busted out of Serenity, New Mexico, the town where they were brought up. All but Hector survived the escape. Having been sheltered for their whole lives, they knew nothing about the outside world and how it works. Luckily they made it to the private school their friend, Randy, was transferred to after he got too close to the secrets of Project Osiris. Randy gave them a place to stay for a while so they could come up with a plan. When the “purples” (the police from Serenity) showed up at the dormitories their planning time was cut short.The kids had to think smart and break free. It wasn't easy, but they made their way to Denver. Amber knew the best thing to do was to find a police officer and explain their story. After all, cloning humans was illegal, and their so-called parents and everyone else in the experiment deserved to be arrested. Unfortunately, telling a police officer only makes them think you're crazy or messing with them, and Amber gets arrested. The kids realize they need evidence to prove they're clones from master criminals. Since they don’t know which criminals, it's even more important they have proof. On the internet they find out the name of a millionaire who was going to fund Project Osiris, and they set out to find her. But she refused to acknowledge that she knew anything about a cloning experiment. It isn’t easy, but they decide that the only thing they can do is go back to Serenity and the traffic cone factory, where they'd first discovered the truth. The kids know there's evidence there- they’d seen it. When they arrive, the factory had a fire. Could any proof still remain? Will someone in Serenity keep them from going back to freedom? How long can four kids survive on their own without money or a real understanding of the outside world? Read this page turner to find out.

I read the first book in the series last summer, and it ended on a cliffhanger. So I was looking forward to reading Masterminds: Criminal Destiny by Gordon Korman. It started right where book one left off. The format was the same, with Eli, Amber,  Malik, and  Tori each taking different chapters to give us the story through their eyes. One thing I liked was seeing how the characters handled the outside world. They broke a lot of laws, but they were in a tight spot and some of the illegal things they did couldn’t be avoided. After all, they were in an unbelievable situation. The characters grew on me and I liked seeing the way their friendships evolved. Just like the first book in the series- this one ended on a cliffhanger. I found out the third, and last, installment of the series is out- so I hope I can read them in the next couple weeks. I recommend this to kids in fourth grade and up who like mystery and adventure. I know I can’t wait to see what happens to these kids with criminal mastermind DNA.

Has anyone else read Masterminds: Criminal Destiny? Or have you read another book by Gordon Korman? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy reading!

~L

44 comments:

  1. Seems like such an enjoyable read and a really nice review you have made. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogoratti- It was definitely an action packed book! :) ~L

      Delete
  2. I haven't read it but it must be a great read. Thanks for the intro! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this or the first one, but they sound exciting. My younger self (and maybe even this self) would love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara- I thought the story was very unique and think it would appeal to people of any age. :) ~L

      Delete
  4. Sure sounds like a great idea indeed and one to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like the previous book really should be read before this, the next instalment. Definitely two to watch out for, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Terry that this series should be read in order. The first book gives a lot of background. :) ~L

      Delete
  6. I'm not familiar with this author but the plot of this book (series) is interesting. Thanks for telling us about it. Discovering new authors is always fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- I always love finding out about new books and authors. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a very unique plot. Hate when a book ends with a cliffhanger (because I'm always anxious to get to the next one as soon as possible :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty- I am the same way! I have been trying to get the last book from the library, but for some reason I have hit a glitch in the online system. Have to go to the library this week and see if I can get it. :) ~L

      Delete
  8. What a fascinating take on the nature/nurture argument. I am not a fan of cliff hangers and glad to hear that the last in the series is out. I hope you will review it for us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC- I hope to review the last book in the series soon. I am still trying to get it so I can find out how everything ends. It is a great book to discuss nature vs. nurture. :) ~L

      Delete
  9. Gordon Korman rocks! Don't miss anything on his list! My students adore his books and can't get enough of his work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read quite a few of his book and enjoyed them all! I still have more of his books to read though. Glad to hear your students enjoy his books too. :) ~L

      Delete
  10. I haven't read either Master Mind book. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had tons of clones, not of myself... maybe some hunky celebs...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would be really weird to find out I was a clone. Chilling.

    Ha! I live DEZMOND's comment. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrys- Wouldn't that be crazy! Dezmond's comment made me chuckle too. :) ~L

      Delete
  13. It sounds like an interesting plot and a good read. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the author.
    Have a relaxing Sunday evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shon- Korman has a lot of books. So far I have enjoyed all of his books. Have a great week! :) ~L

      Delete
  14. Now that sounds awesome. Really playing with the original nature vs. nurture concept. Definitely adding this to my amazon list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert- I thought the concept was very cool. Can't wait to see how the series turns out! :) ~L

      Delete
  15. Ohh this cover is awesome :D Sounds like an amazing book. So glad you enjoyed it a lot :) Lovely review sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina- The cover definitely shows some of the excitement that goes on in the pages. :) ~L

      Delete
  16. This sounds a very good book.
    Happy reading!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like an interesting series. I haven't read any of Korman's books, but I might need to give this one a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca- I think this is a great series so far! :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget