Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Who's Breaking All The Bats?

Cousins, Kate and Mike, are baseball fanatics. Lucky for them, Kate's mom happens to be a sports reporter, so they get to tag along on plenty of trips to the ballpark. Each game offers up a new mystery, and Kate and Mike put their heads together to solve the puzzle. Like when Kate's mom took them to see the Phillie's play. Hot dogs zoomed through the air as the game geared up. The Phillie Phanatic rode out on his ATV, drawing attention from the crowd. Everyone was exited, watching the game, when suddenly, during a crucial play, the bat shattered into pieces. Disappointment echoed through the crowd. The Phillie's lost, all because of the broken bat! Kate and Mike come to find out that there's been a rash of broken bats for the team, and suspicions are high. When they hear that the culprit may be the Phanatic, they just can't believe it. After meeting Ben Franklin, Kate and Mike start adding up the clues, but what they uncover will shake things up even more. Who is behind the bats breaking? What happened to Phil? Is Ben Franklin keeping a secret? You'll have to pick up The Philly Fake: Book 9 of the Ballpark Mysteries to fill in all the cracks. ;)

The Ballpark Mysteries by David A. Kelly are fun stories, especially if you like baseball. I'm not a sports fan, but those who like baseball facts will enjoy these books. Mike and Kate are both clever and work well together. The writing sets the scene and makes you want to go to a ball game. I'd recommend these books to readers age six and up or anyone who loves baseball. The Ballpark Mysteries are great for parents to read with their sports loving kids. I also liked the Doug Out Notes at the end- it's fun to learn things!

Has anyone else read the Ballpark Mysteries or any other books by this author? We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Happy reading!
~ L


Stop by Friday to read our interview with David A. Kelly. 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

28 comments:

  1. A new series to me - I think my great-nephews would love them though. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child- I bet they would! :) ~L

      Delete
  2. Loving the cover of what sounds like a fun read that is ideal for those into baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to follow baseball all the time... I knew most players RBI's... I was a numbers girl... this sounds like a cute mystery book for young kids ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Launna- As someone who used to follow baseball I bet you would get a kick out of this series. Definitely a great one for fans of baseball. :) ~L

      Delete
  4. I haven't read these books, but baseball is my favorite sport. Sounds like a fun mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- Since you love baseball and books- I know you will enjoy this series. :) ~L

      Delete
  5. This sounds cute; definitely someone who likes baseball would like this series.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty- I really enjoyed the series! :) ~L

      Delete
  6. How great to see mysteries coming out for boys! I adored Hardy Boys mysteries when I was young, and I bet a whole new crop of kids will love this series of Ballpark Mysteries. Wishing David much success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexa- I love a good mystery too. ;) This series is a great one for kids and unique in that the mysteries all tie into baseball. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. okay, how adorable is this?? I have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth Ellyn Summer- It is a great read! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. I am a baseball fanatic and I'm taking my grandson to a game this summer in Philly, so I'd better read this book. I have read one or two of the Ballpark Mysteries, and they are a lot of fun. Definitely for younger middle-grade. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- I love that you are taking your grandson to a game this summer in Philly. That sounds like fun! You will definitely have to read this one before you go! :) ~L

      Delete
  9. These really are sweet books! Perfect for this time of year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty- These are great for young readers and just right for this time of year! :) ~L

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a fun book! The riddle was cool, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol- Glad you liked the riddle and the review! :) ~L

      Delete
  11. I am someone who isn't a sports fan myself. I don't mind reading books about sports if it is well mixed in with other things happening like the mystery in this book for example. So I think I could still manage to enjoy this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia- I think the great part about this series is that it will not only appeal to baseball fans, but fans of mysteries. I think you will enjoy them if you get a chance to read them. :) ~L

      Delete
  12. I'm not big on sports, so these may not be my cup of tea, but I image they have a big draw for those who enjoy baseball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- I think sports fans will eat these up, but the mysteries are fun for those who aren't big into sports too. :) ~L

      Delete
  13. I'm actually surprised when I read a book about sports. I enjoy them much more than I think I would so why not the Ballpark mysteries? I'm sure a couple of boys in my field work class would like this series (:
    I'm curious how Benjamin Franklin comes into this book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriana- I always like when I read outside my typical genres and find them more fun than I had thought. :) I bet the boys in your field work class will enjoy this series. You will have to read this one to inf the Benjamin Franklin connection. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget