Friday, May 1, 2015

Author Interview with C.Lee Mckenzie


The DMS was lucky enough to interview C. Lee Mckenzie, author of the middle grade book The Great Timelock Disaster, sequel to Alligators OverheadLizzy recently reviewed this story, and it was great to share our thoughts about it and hear yours! We are excited for a quick Q & A with this author. So, without further ado... take it away, Lee! 

Night owl or early bird?

Very early bird here! When I’m writing I’m up at 4AM. Ah, the quiet and cozy darkness of it all. A perfect time to concoct that next scene.

Physical books, ebooks, or audiobooks?

In order of preference: physical, ebooks, audiobooks. I love my ebook more on trips and less when I’m home. The one audio book I loved was Anansi Boys. The voice actor was amazing. That’s the only one I’d recommend, but I do have The Street of a Thousand Blossoms tucked away for a trip to Oregon in June. I’ll let you know how that one goes.

Cat person or alligator person?

Oh, now you’re asking me to make an extremely difficult choice. If I choose Cat, my alligators are going to threaten to boycott me again. If I choose Alligator, those cats are going to start their protest about how unfair I am to put reptiles into the cats' traditional role as familiars. Let me play the diplomat here and say that in my next book I’ll be a cat person for sure. (Give me a minute while I write a note to myself, so I won’t forget this promise.)

If you had a time machine would you go to the past or the future?

I’d be sorely tempted to go back and meet some people who either did great things or rotten things, and tell them what I thought of them and the consequences of what they did. As if my opinion counts, right? But I’d love to experience the past as it really was. I’m never sure we get the straight story in our history books. 

Would you follow the rules like your character, Weasel? Or would you break them like Pete?

I’m kind of not a rule follower, but I hate the complications of breaking rules. You know, things like jail and fines take up valuable time and money. Pete knows this, too, but he can’t quite stop being Pete. I guess if maturity does set in, I’ll have to create another mischievous character who breaks rules.

Chocolate or vanilla? 

How about vanilla with chocolate fudge on top? I want it all!

Coffee or tea? 

Coffee. Tea for when I’m sick.

Cookies, cake, or ice cream? 

Cookies. They’re so portable, and I find tiny crumbs on my keyboard for later when the cookies are all gone.

Beach or the mountains? 

You drive a hard choice, here. I’ll go for mountains. Love the trees and creeks and caves. They entice me to explore.

Where do you like to write?

I write mostly on my computer at my desk. I edit a lot in the garden or on my deck where I can scream loudly without scaring my family. Editing is always emotional for me.


What are you working on now? 

I’m at the beginning of Pete and Weasel’s next adventure. I’m EDITING a YA that is giving me fits (see the part about screaming above) and I’ve written about ten chapters of a new YA.  I have no idea where any of these projects will wind up.
























32 comments:

  1. Hi Jess and Lee ... lovely interview just after the A-Z .. we can all decide what we'd like. Pete and Weasel sound like interesting characters and I bend the rules - but money and jail I'm not happy to incur!! Re moving back in time - I'd love to experience the periods for a short time - I think I'd be desperate for a bath and some central heating!

    Cheers and good luck with all the writing .. and screaming edits - is that where my pond pudding got dripped from??!! Enjoy the weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like that I visited merry old Victorian England, Hilary. I almost asked you to give me a hand with some of the history, but I knew how busy you were with that amazing blog of yours.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't mind going back in time but not too far back... I love my conveniences of running water and indoor heating...♡

    Another great interview and a good way to learn about an author xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have to agree with you on that. It sounds romantic, but there's a lot to be desired about that time. Royalty didn't suffer, but the peons like me did.

      Delete
  3. ;)

    Adorei a entrevista!

    Ótima sexta!

    Beijo! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda- Thanks for stopping by! So glad you loved the interview. :) ~L

      Delete
  4. What a fun interview Lee! I am not a rule follower either (is any writer??) but those complications are a pain, I admit. LOL! I am with you on the mountains vs. beach - much more to explore, and hideaway in. The Great Timelock Disaster was such a fun read (and Pete a lovable scruff).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! Thank. I did appreciate your reading my book. It was great to have another MG writer weigh in on Pete and Weasel's adventure.

      Delete
  5. Nice interview Jess!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute interview :) I agree, chocolate and vanilla together :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I am totally not an early bird. 7am for occassional yard sales gets me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun interview! You are an early bird! Even though I get up early, there's no way I'd be ready to write at 4:00 AM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep my eyes closed, but make sure I have my fingers on the right keys first.

      Delete
  9. Yeah for a road trip to Oregon. I love listening to audiobooks before I drive. I have had a time machine I would go back and visit those I loved and lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for a trip anywhere, so Oregon is going to be fun.

      Delete
  10. Great interview! I am into physical books all the way. I would be picking chocolate and more chocolate and what about a catigator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catigators are on my list of things to research.

      Delete
  11. Greetings Jess and of course, that celebrity superstar author, Lee,

    First of all, my humble apologies for being consistently inconsistent as of late. Trying to get back into the commenting groove. My adoring public misses me, evidently.

    Great interview! Thanks for sharing! Kidding! I continue to learn more about the fabulous yet humble, C. Lee. After Pete and Weasel, I look forward to her next book titled "Cats Overhead."

    Gary, Lee's starstruckest fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you know my next book would be titled that? You are psychic, aren't you? I just knew it. And, yes, we've missed you, but now you're back, so we can't anymore.

      Delete
    2. Ah, superstar author, the amazing, yet incredibly humble internet sensation dog, aka Penny, told me about that title. A bit of negotiation and gentle persuasion, evidently, will make you change it to "Dogs Overhead."

      Delete
  12. Great interview, because I think it really shows C. Lee Mckenzie's sense of humor. She had a few cute answers that were amusing. Also the interview got me interested in Alligators Overhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be careful with my "glib" nature. It has landed me in all kinds of hot water. Thanks for taking the time to read the interview and leave a comment. Loved it.

      Delete
    2. I have to be careful with my "glib" nature. It has landed me in all kinds of hot water. Thanks for taking the time to read the interview and leave a comment. Loved it.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations C. Lee! I loved your answers. And I saw a photo of you doing a book signing...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nas! Great to see you here. I've missed out exchanges. We must have taken a different path this year. I'll find a map and let's hook up down the road.

      Delete
    2. Hey Nas! Great to see you here. I've missed out exchanges. We must have taken a different path this year. I'll find a map and let's hook up down the road.

      Delete
  14. Great interview. Looking forward to more adventures from Pete and Weasel. Good luck with the edits. Screaming is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beverly. Screaming is sometimes my vent for not getting the words right.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Beverly. Screaming is sometimes my vent for not getting the words right.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget