Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Will Pete and Weasel Be Stuck in the 1800s?

Ever since Pete Riley found out that he's a wizard he's been trying to work on his skills. Unfortunately, that means working with one of the oldest witches in town. She doesn't have a lot of patience for Pete and the mistakes he makes, but you can't blame her. When Pete accidentally says a spell he shouldn't have he has no idea how bad things are about to become. Harriet says he's done something to the time lock and now he must remain home and in his room while everything gets fixed. It seems like nothing is happening, so Pete sneaks out of his room and grabs his friend Weasel to help him. Weasel doesn’t want any part of Pete’s plan, but he can’t get away before the two are sent back in time to the 1800s, where they must try to piece together what has happened. They know that any chance of getting back relies on finding someone named Mr. Dread Wraith. Finding him proves to be trickier than they could have expected, and they don’t have long before the spell will be permanent, trapping them in the past. Getting caught by thieves, who force Pete and Weasel to work for their food and shelter, adds tension to an already stressful situation. Will this make it impossible to find Dr. Dread before it's too late? Is there anyone who can help them in the strange world of the past? Can Pete and Weasel get back to the present day? You'll have to read this time travel mystery to find out!


After reading Alligators Overhead by C. Lee McKenzie I was excited to read the second book in the series, The Great Timelock Disaster. Pete and Weasel’s story picked up right where they left off in the last book, which made it very easy to follow along. I liked traveling back in time with them and learning about what life was like in the 1800s. I definitely wouldn’t have wanted to eat the food they were given. I enjoyed the banter between Weasel and Pete, because Weasel seems a little unhappy with most of Pete’s decisions, and it was great to see that their relationship had not changed. I was glad that Weasel likes history, so he had some interesting things to see firsthand in the 1800s, even if he didn’t want to be there. This is a suspenseful book that also includes an underlying message about the trouble you could get into when you don't follow directions. This is a fun story for kids who like a good mystery and those who sometimes break the rules will be able to relate to Peter. I hope and Pete and Weasel will have another adventure soon!

Has anyone else read The Great Timelock Disaster? Or have you read another book by C. Lee McKenzie? We would love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L


Stop by on Friday to read our interview with C. Lee Mckenzie!  

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

48 comments:

  1. So fun! I just read this book and was super excited to interview Pete to come on my blog for 5-15. This was a magical adventure filled with creepy folks, loyal friends, on-the-run suspense --- all wrapped up in time travel! You can't get much cooler than that! Passing the book on to my son because I know he'll enjoy it. I had not had the chance to read book 1 first, but that was not necessary to enjoy and understand the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fun exchanging MG books, Donna. I look forward to our visit on May 15 when Pete gets to chat with your Joshua.

      Delete
  2. This sounds intriguing...I love mysteries... I always have so many ideas while I'm reading the book... I like to see how close I am..♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds intriguing...I love mysteries... I always have so many ideas while I'm reading the book... I like to see how close I am..♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Launna- It is an great story and the mystery is fun. :) ~L

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Very sweet of of you, Catherine. Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful way to meet the mid-week! Thank you, Jess. Appreciate your featuring Pete and Weasel here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- We are so happy to have you on the blog and introducing everyone to Pete and Weasel's second adventure. :) ~Jess and Stephanie

      Delete
  6. A time travel book for kids? How fun. I like that it is also about following directions. Another one to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- I liked the time travel aspect of the book too! A great one for your list. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. I have not read this but middle grade books are a genre of books that I have not read in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read them very much after my son outgrew them, but now I like to read them. They're lighthearted and fun.

      Delete
  8. Not familiar with either the books or the author, but I will probably check this out when I have time. It sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to keep my books a secret from the world. It seems to be working very well. :-) Of course, I am joking.

      Delete
  9. I have not read this but time travel books are such a neat way to introduce another era. One of the reasons we enjoyed The Magic Tree House books so much. Adding it to the MG list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review for Lee! I haven't read either book, but I do have them on my iPad, waiting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you've been a bit busy this year and especially this month.

      Delete
  11. Haven't read these, but they do sound interesting and I like how the second book just picks up where the first one ended.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the best way I could handle the sequel. This is my first try at writing one of these, so I had some learning to do before attempting this second book.

      Delete
  12. I've seen this one around a bit lately and it looks like lots of fun! I love a good time-travel story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meradeth. Glad you took the time to comment.

      Delete
  13. Ahahaha I love the idea of this novel! I think that if I was in this world I would've probably made the same mistake that he did seeing as I am prone to making little mistakes like that which end up being a bigger deal than expected! And I know I would love it being set in the 1800's because I am a historical fiction lover <3 Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to read historical fiction. I love doing that. I really enjoyed doing the research for The Great Time Lock Disaster because the Victorian era fascinates me.

      Delete
  14. I have never read anything by this writer. This book sounds interestig and fun to ead especially that I'm a big sci fi and fantasy fan...Now I want to find out what happens to Pete and Weasel:)

    Hugs!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do read the book, I hope you'll let me know if it entertained you. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  15. I love your review and I recently finished this book and loved it. I'm a huge fan of Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I have a fan. That's darned amazing to me. Thanks, TBM.

      Delete
  16. I love this cover. The book is definitely on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read this book, but it sounds interesting. I love the idea of time travel, since we can't do it in real life, we can read about it :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that's why this was fun to write. I can't do in my real life, but I sure can in my imaginary one.

      Delete
  18. You girls read the most interesting books that I don't hear about anywhere else. I'm not a time traveler enthusiast but this one doesn't sound too bad. It doesn't look like they actually will be stuck in the past. I really they don't change anything. That always is what gets me worried even though it fiction. Time travel is probably the most compelling books I read because they feel like they could really happen! I'm happy you enjoyed The Great Timelock Disaster. Pete and Weasel's adventure sounds like a really fun and mysterious read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys are frequently warned not to tamper with anything while there. Of course, Pete almost minds the warnings. Good thing Weasel's there to remind him of the consequences.

      Delete
  19. I haven't...I'm SO far behind on my reading. We're moving...my life is in total chaos. I am just ready to get back to my routine and be able to read some great blogger books. Right now the only reading I do is on audio, while I'm throwing stuff in boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you did the AtoZ! Can't imagine that AND moving.

      Delete
    2. And you did the AtoZ! Can't imagine that AND moving.

      Delete
  20. I know C.Lee from around the blog-o-sphere! :) this book sounds ADORABLE

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed this book a lot. I liked book 1 and loved book 2. I believe I've read most of Lee's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the royalty check for those two books, Medeia. I knew it was you. :-)

      Delete
    2. I got the royalty check for those two books, Medeia. I knew it was you. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget