Wednesday, July 24, 2013

What is the Code?


It is 1942 when the Nazis occupy Norway. Marit is only twelve, and she and her younger brother, Lars, are sent to live with their grandfather and aunt because Marit’s parents are part of the resistance fighting back. Marit adjusts to her new town and even makes some friends. Of course, it's a little strange at first to have her aunt for a teacher, but at school she gets to see her aunt in a whole new light. Nazi soldiers are all around the town and they have taken sheets, blankets, food, radios, and other important items from the Norwegians. They have even forbidden people from having or wearing the bunad, the traditional outfit worn for special occasions, but Marit is thrilled when she finds out her aunt is sewing her one in secret. It seems the Norwegians are sticking together and will not give in to the Nazis. Which is why Marit is feeling so annoyed by her grandfather, who seems to give in to each request made by the Nazis. It is driving Marit crazy to see him give up so easily, and she is even more upset when the Nazis come and take her aunt from school. No one knows where they have taken her or if she is still alive. When Marit and Lars are out in their row boat they stumble upon an injured resistance soldier. Marit hatches a dangerous plan to get him to safety, even though she must hide him from the Nazis and her grandfather. When the soldier gives her a secret code and begs her to deliver it right away, Marit has a tough decision to make. Should she deliver the message even though she has no idea what it means? What will happen if the Nazis or her grandfather catch her breaking the rules? Is the code worth the risk? Will Marit ever see her aunt or her parents again? You will be captivated from the start and will want to read until you turn the last page so you can find out how everything turns out. I couldn’t put it down!

The Klipfish Code by Mary Casanova is a fabulous book about a brave girl and dangerous times. Marit has a lot of spunk, and she has strong beliefs. I really felt as if I knew her, and I was biting my nails as the adventure unfolded. It was interesting to see how Marit changed during the war. This is an excellent book for kids in fourth through eighth grade. Older readers will enjoy it as well! Be prepared to have history unfold for you as you read about Marit’s experience. I learned a lot about what life was like in Norway during the war and I loved discovering the Norwegian words sprinkled throughout the book (there is a glossary in the back). At the end of the book the author includes notes about her research and I liked reading them because it helped me to see what parts of the story were based on facts (almost all of it). This book touched me and made me think about the hard life people had during WWII, and I am still thinking about the characters even though I am finished with the book. I look forward to reading more books by Mary Casanova! This is one of the best books I have read about life during WWII, and you won’t regret following along with Marit as she tries to navigate through her new life.

Has anyone else read The Klipfish Code? Or have you read another book by Mary Casanova? We would love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading! ~L

24 comments:

  1. Oh this is fabulous. I love stories of courage during WWII and one with a young girl at its center has to be a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- This is a great read! It was so fascinating and kept me on the edge of my seat. :) ~L

      Delete
  2. Norway isn't country you usually see in WWII books. I would love to check this out, I am alway excited to read a book during this era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- If you enjoy this era then you will love this book. I highly recommend it! :) ~L

      Delete
  3. I love a good WWII historical, but haven't read many set in Norway. Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- If you enjoy WWII books- then this one will keep you captivated. It was great to read a unique book set in Norway. :) ~L

      Delete
  4. Great review! I loved The Klipfish Code when I read it. I loved the idea of the codes and the Norwegian Resistance is something I have always admired. Imagine letting kids do things like Marit nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- I remember reading your review and how much you loved this one. I am so glad I picked it up! The code aspect was fascinating and the story just took me back in time. I didn't know about the Norwegian Resistance, so I learned a lot. Marit definitely had to grow up fast and was able to be very responsible! :) ~L

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great book. I love history, and WWII is one of my favorite topics. It is interesting that this book takes place in Norway, I haven't read much of Norway and WWII. Sounds great!

    Paul R. Hewlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul- I really loved this one and hope you get to read it soon. A wonderful read for fans of books that take place during WWII. The setting is unique and the story is fast paced. :) ~L

      Delete
  6. I haven't read it but it looks terribly interesting. I love that time period and learning about the countries that were involved in WW11. Will check it out for sure. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn- It is so interesting! I hope you get to check it out soon! Have a wonderful day. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of this book before, but it sounds wonderful. Adventurous, dangerous, exotic, and Marit sounds like a great character! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherie- You described it perfectly! Glad we could introduce you to this one- it is excellent. :) ~L

      Delete
  8. Books like this usually make me cry. I'm such a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- These types of books make me emotional too. :)~L

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad to get a recommendation for this time period. The kids in my class are always asking. They are drawn to Number the Stars by Lois Lowry and now I can aim them to The Klipfish Code. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie- If the kids in your class like Number the Stars then they are sure to love this one. It is such a fabulous book that draws the reader right in! They will be captivated! :) ~L

      Delete
  10. The Klipfish code has gone to the top of my must-read list. I just know I’m going to enjoy it.

    Stephanie, thank you for the tip about preview/post, I’m going to try it now. If you get this comment, you will know it worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara- I am so glad the comment suggestion worked! :) Yeah!

      I am glad you moved The Klipfish Code to the top of your list. You will really enjoy it!
      ~Stephanie

      Delete
  11. No, I haven't read this, but you have me interested. I'll look for it on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medeia- It is a wonderful MG book and you won't be disappointed! :) ~L

      Delete
  12. This does sound like an amazing book :D Glad you enjoyed it. <3 I might have to check it out ;p Jess commented on my blog about it, since it's Norwegian, and heh. I don't read books in Norwegian so I haven't heard of this one until now (A) if I were to read it, it would be in English :) Even though I'm 100% Norwegian, I do not like reading in Norwegian ;p lol :) Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts about this awesome book, though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina- I hope you get to read this one soon! I read it in English and there are also lots of Norwegian words throughout the book. I thought it was fun to learn about Norway's history and the strength and unity of the people. :) How interesting that you prefer to read in English! Thanks for visiting. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget