Thursday, July 25, 2013

Top of the Heap!

Monday's Riddle gave us the code, and Lizzy's review of The Klipfish Code by Mary Casanova revealed a secret story about a young girl struggling to survive in Norway during WWII. Friday, Timothy Davis will be stopping by to tell us about his story Sea Cutter: Book 1 in The Chronicles of Nathaniel Childe, and Saturday, we always love to hear your thoughts on The DMS Wants to KnowToday, we'll crack the code! 

This week's top of the heap: Secret Codes : ) 

Fairday: There are so ways to transfer information cryptically, but I think the most amazing one is through DNA. How mysterious it is to know that the answers to most of our questions is kept safe in the cells of our own bodies- our "inner space". What's so miraculous about DNA is that it carries a genetic code from one form to another- like life's map or diary. Every living thing has a code spiraling around in its cells, which has been written in by creation. The greatest thrill is experiencing your own code and recognizing its unique pattern. ~ F

Here's the definition of DNA: (fascinating when you consider it for a moment!)
Noun
  1. Deoxyribonucleic acid, a self-replicating material present in nearly all living organisms as the main constituent of chromosomes.
  2. The fundamental and distinctive characteristics of someone or somthing, esp. when regarded as unchangeable.

Here's what DNA looks like:

Space radiation hitting a cell DNA: photo credit: NASA
Here's a fun experiment with the DNA code of a strawberry:






Lizzy- There are so many types of codes, but I have to say that I love secret codes. I have always enjoyed being able to communicate with my friends and have no one else know what we are saying. It certainly makes passing a note less stressful if I know most people won’t be able to decipher the message if it falls into their hands. There are so many types of secret messages, invisible ink, mirror writing, and letters for numbers, just to name a few. Each one is a blast and has its benefits. My favorite type of secret code is Pig Latin, even though a lot of people can speak it. It always makes me giggle to rearrange the letters and tell someone something using Pig Latin because it sounds silly. My grandma taught it to me, and I taught it to Fairday. If you speak it really fast it can be hard for most Pig Latin speakers to understand, so practice is a must! It can come in handy! Or should I say t-ihay an-cay ome-cay n-ihay andy-hay! ~ L



6 comments:

  1. How fun. The experiment with the strawberry intrigues me. Being a twin, I love the study of DNA and find it quite fascinating. Codes are great, but I'm terrible at breaking them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- DNA is so fascinating! Being a twin I bet it is even more interesting. :) Cracking codes can be tough! ~L

      Delete
  2. That strawberry experiment is fascinating. I have never seen anything like that! Oh I agree passing notes in secret code was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- The strawberry experiment is fun. I hope you get to try it! Secret codes with friends is so much fun. :) ~L

      Delete
  3. Aw, this was a bit cute, hih :) Thank you for sharing. <3 Liked the DNA picture ;p

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget