Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thank You, Mr. Falker


It’s that time of year when those of us in the United States are thinking about what we are thankful for. In the spirit of the season, I am going to take a break from reviewing a middle grade chapter book today. Instead, I will be spotlighting a favorite picture book of mine, which ties in with the theme of gratitude.


Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco is a book that I have read many times. The girl in the story, Trisha, starts off enjoying school. She quickly changes her mind when the words she sees don’t make sense. As much as she wants to read, she can’t. Not only are the other kids in class noticing the fact that Trisha can’t read, but they are calling her a dummy and picking on her. Luckily, a kind teacher realizes that Trisha is struggling and has her stay after school. He works with her using different techniques. Mr. Falker believes in Trisha. Can he get her to believe in herself? Read this heartwarming story to find out!


I think anyone who has ever had a teacher help them learn will love Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco. I could easily connect with Trisha because I had trouble learning to read. I would practice over and over again, but I couldn’t put the words into sentences I understood. It took me a long time, but eventually I became a reader. Once I started reading, I have never wanted to stop. I am thankful that I am able to read. It takes me places I have never been before. Reading about Trisha’s experience made me stop and think about the teachers that I have had so far and the different ways they have helped me. I am lucky to have had teachers that really care about me. There are many people who don’t come from loving homes, and a teacher may be one of the only people who treats them with love and kindness. Mr. Falker sounds like a teacher I would like. I enjoy this story because it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside each time I read it. This is a great book for people ages 8 and up. Younger kids might enjoy it too, but it is a longer picture book, with lots of words. If you are looking for a book to inspire you and make you feel thankful, then look no further!

Has anyone else read Thank You, Mr. Falker? Or another book by Patricia Polacco? What did you think? Stop by Storyline Online to have the book read to you!

Happy Reading! ~L

16 comments:

  1. I love this book! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine- Glad to hear you love this one, too! :) ~L

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this, but I definitely will get it for my nieces. They'll love it. Thanks for letting us know about one of your favorite PBs.

    Happy Thanksgiving and see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- This is a great PB with so much to offer. I always enjoy this author.

      Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! :) ~L

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a wonderful book and good teachers are definitely something to be Thankful for. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- This is a wonderful book! Teachers are special people and we have all learned from them. Happy Thanksgiving! ~L

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Patty- Ms. Polacco is so talented and I enjoy her books. This is one I have read over and over again. :) ~L

      Delete
  5. At first I thought this was a Ben Stiller/Robert DeNiro movie review I hadn't heard of :) heh. This book sounds perfect for my daughter--thank you!!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany- I can understand why you thought that! I think your daughter will enjoy this book. Happy Thanksgiving! ~L

      Delete
  6. I haven’t read this, but I think it would be perfect as a future gift for my grandaughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara- This is such a good book and there is also a special connection between Trisha and her grandmother in the book (the whole book is based on the author's life). I highly recommend this author's work. I think your granddaughters will enjoy this one! ~L

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a magical read. My thanks for sharing it with us and a happy thanksgiving to you ad yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petty- It is! Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes. I hope you had a nice day! ~L

      Delete
  8. What a sweet book. I hope many read this. A good teacher is such a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna- It is a sweet book! You are right- good teachers are a gem. ;) ~L

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget