Thursday, March 1, 2012

Top of the Heap!


"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies." ~Katie

This weeks top of the heap: Dr. Suess!


Theodor Suess Geisel 1904 - 1991.

~ Seuss is a Bavarian name, and was his mother’s maiden name: Henrietta Seuss’s parents emigrated from Bavaria (part of modern-day Germany) in the nineteenth century. Seuss was also his middle name.



~ Theodor Seuss Geisel — known as “Ted” to family and friends — liked to say that he adopted the name “Dr. Seuss” because he was saving his real name for the Great American Novel he would one day write.

Horton Hears A Who!
My absolute favorite Dr. Seuss book (and movie!) is Horton Hears a Who. I think that the story really illustrates how important it is to respect all things big and small. Horton's quest to save the tiny world on the spec captures the imagination! I have to shout out to Katie in the movie- I just can't get enough of that adorable, little fuzz ball. ~ F



Oh, the Places You’ll Go!

Congratulations!
Today is your day.

You’re off to Great Places!

You’re off and away!


You have brains in your head.

You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose...

I have been a fan of Dr.Seuss since I was little and he has so many amazing books. My teacher read Oh, the Places You'll Go! to our class last year on the last day of school. I enjoyed the rhythm of the book and the message. I think it has so many positive pieces of advice mixed in with the fact that everything won't be perfect along the way. I like that the book is realistic and it gets me all choked up. The colors in the book are also fun. I think this is a book that I will enjoy over and over again throughout my life. "And never forget life's a great balancing act..." Love it! ~ L






















11 comments:

  1. I also like Horton Hears A Who. I think that the characters were really well portrayed. Dr. Suess is really fun! Great post, what fun to think about for a few minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine- Glad that you liked the post. Dr. Seuss is so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Seuss is one of my son's all time favorites. "Left foot, right foot, right foot, left. Feet in the morning..."

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I hear the rhymes in my mind out of nowhere! :)

      Delete
  4. 'Oh, The Places You'll Go' is an absolute classic. I love that quote you've shared. It just frees up our world and empowers us to march in any direction we want. No fear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudine- I love what you wrote! So true! Fear not the unexpected! ~F

      Delete
  5. Can anything ever compare to the brilliant works of Dr Seuss? I think I enjoyed these books more than my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Seuss was very clever and entertaining- that is for sure!

      Delete
  6. Dr.Seuss is a legend! I grew up with Cay-in-the-Hat books from a child (and that was a long time ago LOL) Green Eggs and Ham has always been my all time favourite :) I read the original book I had from my childhood to my grandchildren the other day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emailman- How special that you were able to read your copy of a Dr. Seuss book to your grandchildren. Awesome! :)

      Delete
  7. I really like Dr. Seuss. His books are all fun. I like Bartholomew and the Oobleck. Partially because making oobleck is so fun- but the story is really great. It is a little longer than most of his books, which I like.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget