Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oh to go to Whangdoodleland!

Have you ever heard of a Whangdoodle? Ben, Tom, and Lindy Potter hadn’t until they met Professor Savant. But once he told them about the rare creature they couldn’t wait to see it for themselves. It isn’t long before the children are in training in order to improve their powers of observation and imagination. It is a lot of hard work, but they have a lot of laughs! Together, with the assistance of their magical scrappy caps, the foursome adventure to a mysterious land that has long been forgotten by humankind. They start out slow, planning to spend a little bit more time in Whagdoodleland during each visit. There they encounter mythical creatures like Sidewinders, the High-Behind Splintercat, Swamp Gaboons and the always helpful Whiffle Bird. One morning, back at home, Lindy is missing and it is up to her brothers and the professors to try to find her. Will they be able to locate her in the strange land? What obstacles will they find in their way? You will have to read this book to find out!

A friend recommended The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards and I had never heard of it. What a treat! This fantasy adventure is filled with beautiful descriptions and amazing creatures. I think that the characters are easy to relate to and funny. I think this book will appeal to people that are in 4th grade and up. Younger kids might enjoy reading it with a parent because there are a lot of new vocabulary words! I would love to take a trip to Whangdoodleland!

Has anyone else read The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles? Or another book by Julie Andrews Edwards? (I am sure some of you recognize the author as a famous actress who has stared in many favorites, such as Mary Poppins!)

Happy Reading!
~L

11 comments:

  1. Haha I really enjoyed your review and I am definitely getting it for my 8-year-old sis. Going to your Amazon link now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and it is magical! I love the Oinks and the cool ice cream machine. I love picturing the Golden River. I th9ought the Prock was a bit scary- but it sure was an adventure. I haven't read anything else by her- but I LOVE her movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds darling and so creative too ;). I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, this is too cute not to read! Check your bookblogs mail. I sent you an email. Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks cute! When I see the word Whangdoodle, I am instantly transported to Willy Wonka. I'll check this one out for my godchildren!
    Thanks,
    Dawn Zimmerer
    www.flitlit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought the book for my best friend's son a few years ago and he loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @anaavu- Your sister will love it!

    @Elaine- You are right, the Oinks were funny!

    @Elisa- It is a great book and the cover is superb!

    @Donna- Glad you enjoyed it. I will check my Bookblogs mail.

    @Patty- That is so cool that you read it!

    @Dawn Z.- This is a book your godchildren will enjoy! I love what you think of when you hear Whangdoodle.

    Jennifer- That is fabulous! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn’t heard of The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles? But with a title like that I can’t resist! It sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds great! I love fantasy so I definitely want to read this one. I can't believe the lady from Mary Poppins wrote it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Barbara- I agree with you- the title is fantastic! So fun!

    @Trey- I think it is cool that "Mary Poppins" wrote this one. She is MAGICAL! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget