Friday, August 9, 2013

Author Interview with Dan Gutman


The DMS was lucky enough to interview Dan Gutman. Lizzy recently reviewed his story The Million Dollar Shotand it was great to share our thoughts about it and hear yours. We are excited to learn a little bit more about the story behind the story. So, without further ado... take it away, Dan! 


What inspired you to write The Million Dollar Shot?

I wanted to write a basketball book for a long time, but basketball is a very fast-moving sport and hard to write about. Then I was watching a game on TV one night and they had one of those contests in which they pull a fan out of the crowd and give him or her the chance to take one shot for a lot of money. I thought that would make a great idea for a basketball story.

How long did it take you to write The Million Dollar Shot?

About 5 months.

What are some of your favorite books from childhood? Were there any specific authors who inspired you?

I was not a big reader. Other than Dr. Seuss, I have no memory of reading books as a child. That's probably why I relate well to kids who don't like to read today.

Where did you come up with the characters Eddie and Annie?

My middle name is Edward, and I also am a very good shot but not very good at dribbling, passing, etc. So he is sort of based on me. I just made Annie up.



If you could befriend a character from any of your books, who would you befriend? Why?

Johnny Hangtime, from my book Johnny HangtimeBecause he is so cool!




Where do you like to write?

In my backyard.

Do you listen to music while you are writing?

No. I need silence.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?

New York City. Because I lived there for 10 years when I was younger, and loved it. There is always something going on.

You write books in a variety of different genres. Do you have one genre that you prefer? 

No. I like to write all different types of books.

We noticed that sports are a common thread between many of your books. What is your favorite sport to play or watch?

Watch: baseball. Play: Ping-Pong





Connect with this author ☞ Website FacebookTwitter





24 comments:

  1. Great questions and answers, it always fun to read your author interviews. Thanks for the introduction to Dan and his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Petty, Thanks so much for stopping by to share your thoughts with us : ) ~ F

      Delete
  2. Interesting interview...I do so admire authors who can write children's books and I like the premise for this one. I've watched some of those who got to take those long shots and always hope they make it. I love his book covers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna Maria, I always hope they make the long shot too! Thanks for stopping by. It's always lovely to hear from you! ~ F

      Delete
  3. Fun interview! I love hearing about how a story sparked :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meradeth, Thanks! for stopping by : ) ~ F

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Patty, Thanks! Great to hear from you : ) ~ F

      Delete
  5. That's quite story, Dan. Congrats on those books and look at those happy kids! What a super reward that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi cleemckenzie, Thanks so much for stopping by! Great to hear from you : ) ~ F

      Delete
  6. Ping-pong is so much fun to play. Love how you came up with the idea for The Million Dollar Shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie,
      Ping-pong is awesome : ) It is so cool how he came up with the idea! Thanks for stopping by! ~ F

      Delete
  7. I'm a big Dan Gutman fan--fun interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi F.T Bradley, He's great! Thanks so much for stopping by to share your thoughts with us : ) ~ F

      Delete
  8. You guys are SO lucky! I would give my... Dad's arm to interview Dan Gutman (Hey! I like my body parts) ;) ). I am a HUGE fan of Mr. Gutman's books! I would also like that T-Shirt Mr. Gutman's wearing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi This Kid Reviews Books, I love the T-shirt too! So happy that you popped by to check out the interview- we enjoy our body parts too- lol : ) ~ F

      Delete
  9. Great interview. I write in silence too. Never tried writing outside, but I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, Thanks! Always a pleasure to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by ~ F

      Delete
  10. Writing that as a children's book is a cute idea. Adults are usually the ones who get that shot.

    The fifth book in my series followed a college basketball coach, and the games were challenging to describe. But the fast pace was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H L. Diane Wolfe, Cool! Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts with us : ) ~ F

      Delete
  11. Fun interview. I really like how he got the idea for the book, especially since I'm not much of a sport fan (on TV that is).

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi akossiwaketoglo, It's cool how the author came up with the idea- they are all around us! Thanks so much for stopping by- great to hear from you! ~ F

      Delete
  12. Great covers! I wonder who did them? I too, love sports themes and these books sound great. Thanks so much for letting us learn more about you Mr. Gutman and thanks DMS for the interview :)

    Paul R. Hewlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, I love the covers too! Thanks for stopping by : ) ~ F

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget