Thursday, February 14, 2013

Top of the Heap!

Psst... here's a note to all of you... 




Monday's Riddle was a mystery in your mail box, and Lizzy's review of Regarding the Fountain by Kate Klise was told in a creative note. Friday, we can't wait to share our post with you, and Saturday, we are always excited to hear your thoughts on The DMS Wants to Know. Today, we thought we would spotlight two letters/notes that we would love to receive.

This week's top of the heap: Amazing letters/ notes from stories!

Lizzy: There are so many cool stories that have secret notes or interesting letters, but nothing tops getting into Hogwarts. Every morning, I still get up and look out the window, and, just for an instant, there's that little spark of hope that today will be the day that there's an owl waiting for me, carrying my acceptance letter to Hogwarts in its talons. ~ L








Fairday: Although I am right there with Lizzy on this one- and would be over the top excited if my owl from Hogwarts showed up- I also think that the automaton in Hugo Cabret is very magical and mysterious. Imagine having a mechanical man, poised to write you a secret message from your father. Now imagine that it's broken, and the only way to fix it is to muddle through your father's old notes. It's a great story, and the illustrations are wonderful. You will be on pins and needles waiting to see what the automaton has to say to Hugo! ~ F

Read our review of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

22 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day! ^_^ Both letters are awesome-sauce but I gotta say, Hogwarts wins for me hands down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina- Thanks! Hope you had a great day! Wouldn't it be awesome to get a letter from Hogwarts? :) ~L

      Delete
  2. Oh I'd love to have one of those letters that screeches as the recipient before bursting into flames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petty- Getting a howler would be hilarious. I have sent one from the Harry Potter website (though it is delivered by email and does not burst into flames). :) ~L

      Delete
  3. Notes that hold promise, those that hold secrets, those you find tucked under your door that take you off on journeys . . .I'd love to be the reader of any of these, and I could easily be lured into a story by one.

    Happy Valentine's Day, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day! I love the wording in your comment. So beautiful and so true. :) ~L

      Delete
  4. I love notes in stories and I loved Hugo Cabaret!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty- Me, too! Notes and Hugo- both excellent. Hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day, too! ~L

      Delete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day. I don't think you are the only ones waiting for your Hogwort's letter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- I suspect you are right.:) Hope you had a great day, too! ~L

      Delete
  6. I so want to see Hugo. I don't watch many movies and had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder. It's not a movie, but remember when Stephen King's The Green Mile came out, he released like one book a month. I think there were 7 books? It was kind of Saturday Evening Post style. I used to get so anxious going to Target to see if the next book was out. What a genius idea, by one of my favorite authors. Thanks for the great post that had really made me think.

    Paul R. Hewlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul- I am glad we were able to remind you about the movie Hugo. I think Stephen King's idea is excellent. What a great way to build suspense! ~L

      Delete
  7. Happy Valentine's Day! I love notes in stories. I recently read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I loved that the story was told through letters. One of my favorite note scenes comes from Eclipse - the note passed back and forth between Jacob and Bella was endearing to me. I can tell you Katertot would adore a letter from Hogwarts! Awesome post, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheles Bells- I hope you and Katertot both had a Happy Valentine's Day! The Perks of Being a Wallflower sounds so fun! I had forgotten about the notes in Eclipse. They were great. :) Thanks for stopping by! ~Stephanie

      Delete
  8. Good ones. I don't think I know of that many or even any other books that have letters in them. I would die if I got a Hogwarts letter. For years I would think if there was an older school that they would send me a letter one day. I think about it from time to time still. Hugo's automaton is another good example of secret messages told in a different way. I never would have thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriana- I would be over the moon excited to get a letter from Hogwarts! I guess you never know! Thanks for stopping by. So glad you enjoyed the post.:) ~L

      Delete
  9. Nice choices. There's nothing like getting a mysterious letter or note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- Thanks! I love a good mystery. :) ~L

      Delete
  10. Happy belated Valentine’s Day! We keep being woken up by an owl hooting – do you think? Is it possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara- Happy belated Valentine's Day to you, too! I think you might be getting a letter soon! Anything is possibe! Fear not the unexpected. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget