Thursday, September 13, 2012

Top of the Heap!


Monday's Riddle emerged from out of the shadows, clueing us in on the theme this week. Lizzy took us on a fun adventure into the Shadowrealm with her review of The Alchemyst by Michael Scott. And, Friday we will be chatting with Rob Buyea, author of the inspirational middle grade novel, Because of Mr. Terupt. Today, we are excited to share what we found in the shade of some interesting shadows!

This week's top of the heap: A moment of light dancing with dark  ☯



A shadow is an area where direct light from a light source cannot reach due to obstruction by an object.

Fairday & Lizzy: We both feel that this definition is lackluster. After all, what is a shadow? What is the essence of your shadow? You can't feel it, touch it, smell it, even get any closer to it than you already are, but you can make it do anything- as long as you're willing to do it as well, that is. The magic of dark and light mixing together creates mysterious worlds of strange, moving images- shifting and elongating in transitioning light. What happens in that silent, dark world that mirrors our own colorful splash of existence? Anything is possible. Imagine this, what would be more bizarre than your shadow suddenly doing something unexpected? ☺ (Fear not the unexpected!) ~ F & L


Peter Pan catching his shadow : ) 



14 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! This is a fun post. I always loved the idea that Peter Pan's shadow could get away from him. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, Thanks so much! I love the story of Peter Pan as well : ) Thanks for stopping by! ~ F

      Delete
  2. Love that picture of Peter. Here's the full R. L. Stevenson poem, My Shadow.

    I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me
    And what can be use of him is more than I can see.
    He is very, very like me from my heels up to my head
    And I see him jump before me when I jump into my bed.

    The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow -
    Not at all like proper children which is always very slow;
    For he sometimes shoot up taller like an india-rubber ball,
    And he sometimes gets so little that there's none of him at all.

    He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
    And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
    He stays so close beside me, he's a coward can't you see;
    I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me.

    One morning very early, before the sun was up,
    I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
    But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head,
    Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bish, Thanks so much for posting this! Great poem! It's perfect. My shadow is somewhat lazy from time to time as well : ) ~ F

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of 'The Illustrated Man' as his tattoos start to move around deep at night and tell stories of their own. I was wondering if shadows did the same: move around and tell silent stories of their own.

    Loved the great poem Bish has shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudine, You know, I've never read that- but I've heard about it- and thought about that concept before. What interesting tales shadows and tattoos could tell us! Thanks so much for stopping by! Lovely to hear from you : ) ~ F

      Delete
  4. Loved this post! You are so right a shadow is so much more they provide atmosphere and indeed nothing would be creepier than a shadow moving umexpectedly on its own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi, I've been thinking about it so much, that my mind is just waiting to catch my shadow doing something other than what I'm doing- lol! It's going to be a complete bug out when it happens : ) Thanks for stopping by! ~ F

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi The Horror Games, Thanks so much! Great to hear from you : ) ~ F

      Delete
  6. As an (very amateur) artist, the play of light & shadow fascinate me. Sometime, when you have the opportunity, take a long moment to really examine the artwork of Charles Addams. He was the master of capturing shadows from myriad light sources, - all in a single image/sketch <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M.A.D., I will be sure to check out Charles Adams! Thanks for sharing. The play on light and dark is endlessly fascinating- add in a splash of color and the picture becomes boundless. My medium is pencil- so I love shadows and shading- plus I need those little, pink erasers- they work wonders for me : ) Fabulous to hear from you! ~ F

      Delete
  7. Shadows play so well in stories of any kind. Great topic

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget