Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I Wonder What You Would Do...

“I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.” ~August (Auggie) Pullman

Auggie feels ordinary on the inside, and he really does want to be just like everyone else. Unfortunately, no one else sees him this way. To others he is an alien, zombie, weirdo, or extremely special and wonderful. Auggie was born with some genetic disorders that make his appearance shocking to most people. He gets a lot of stares and strange looks, as well as comments that pierce through his skin. Up until he is ten years old he has to have so many surgeries that he is homeschooled. Everything is about to change. Fifth grade is the year that Auggie will start attending a local private school, and he is not happy that his parents have decided this without his input. He doesn’t want to go because he knows how the other kids will react to him, but another part of him wants to meet other kids and make friends. After touring the school with a group of hand selected students Auggie’s first day is supposed to be better. Unfortunately, one of the boys, Julian, is cruel to Auggie and tries to get others to treat him badly. He does the typical name calling, rumor spreading, and anything else he can think of to make the new kid the butt of all jokes. Of course, the other kids don’t actually need any more reasons to treat him badly. Luckily, Auggie knows something about how to deal with mean people and the rest he learns along the way. Sadly, the school year is going to be filled with some pretty tough times for him, especially when he overhears a conversation that changes everything. Will Auggie be able to make the other kids see him for who he is inside? Will he make it through 5th grade with any friends?  Is he going to wish he never attended school?  You must read this fantastic story to see for yourself how it all ends up for Auggie and friends.

Wonder by R.J. Palacio was one of the best books I have ever read. I instantly liked the main character, Auggie, and my heart went out to him. Getting to know him was fun because he is just like a lot of my friends and I love his sense of humor. Auggie’s story made me think about how the kids at my school would treat someone who looked so different from everyone else. The book was broken into sections and we got to learn about Auggie’s fifth grade experience through the eyes of some of the other characters. At first I thought I wouldn’t like this, but it actually turned out to be quite fascinating. I liked the change in perspective and it really made me think about how everyone close to him felt. If the author had only told the story from Auggie’s point of view then I really wouldn’t have been able to see the whole picture. I think anyone from 4th grade and up should read this remarkable book. If everyone read it they would know how important it is to be kinder than necessary. I know, if starting today, we were all a little kinder- the world would be a better place for everyone. When you read this book you will laugh out loud and you will cry. You will discover what it means to be a better person and you will find out some universal truths. You will learn how to deal with the mean people you encounter. One thing is for sure- you will not be the same person when you get to the end of the book.  You will be better!

Has anyone else read Wonder?  Or have you read another book by R.J. Palacio?  I would love to hear your thoughts on this one.

Happy Reading!
~L

34 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great review. Wonder has been on my TBR list for a while and I think it is time to read now. It sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- You will love it! I think you should start reading it as soon as possible. It is that good. :) ~F

      Delete
  2. I am aching to read this book! It's been on my list for a while and I can't wait to eventually get to it. Wonderful review!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan- I hope you get Wonder soon. You won't want to put it down (except to get a tissue). ~F

      Delete
  3. The book sounds interesting, but that book cover did not impress me :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haddock- The book is awesome! Once you read the book you will understand the cover a bit more. It is different- but the blue made it easy to find when I was looking for it at the book store. :) ~F

      Delete
  4. my son said the answer to yesterdays riddle was your mind....because only you have control over your thoughts. interesting huh?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annmarie- How interesting! He sounds like a smart boy! :) ~L

      Delete
  5. Love the cover of the book and great review. I might give this one a try if I find the time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt- Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the review. If you have time- Wonder is worth it! ~L

      Delete
  6. My heart went out to Auggie just from that brief introduction. Hope he turns it around on the bully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate- Auggie is so great and you will root for him the whole time you are reading. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. I agree this was a fantastic read and I didn't know what to expect going into it but it sure changed me! This is a book every middle grader on up should read. Yes you are so right we all need to be a little kinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- If everyone middle grade and up read it- imagine what a nice world we would live in! I enjoyed your review on this one, too! ~Jess

      Delete
  8. I love your description of this book.

    It has the sound of one of those good for you must read kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty! Thanks for popping over! Lizzy writes awesome reviews : ) ~ F

      Delete
  9. I read RULES by Cynthia Lord to my class every year to help them understand Autism. WONDER sounds like another important book to share with them. Thank you for the rec. and for all your support during the A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie! Great to hear from you. It is definitely an important book to pass along. The best part of reading stories is to gain that other perspective, and this one really shows you the light : ) ~ F

      Delete
  10. Neither - but between you and the cover, I'm totally sold :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jolene, Thanks! Great to hear from you : ) ~ F

      Delete
  11. I would love to get this one someday. I've wanted it from the beginning. I've actually never read a review before. Thanks for the review (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adriana, So glad that you enjoyed the review! It's a really unique story- I hope you like it as much as we did : ) ~ F

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of this one. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by : ) ~ F

      Delete
  13. These words really stood out to me ‘how important it is to be kinder than necessary’ – I’m going to try to keep that in mind from now on. I’ve added Wonder to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, That's great! I think you will enjoy it. Lizzy passed it on to me, and I really enjoyed the story. The amazing part about being kinder than necessary is how easy it actually is to do : ) Thanks for popping over! ~ F

      Delete
  14. On my wish list, I've heard nothing but good things about this one. Glad to read your thoughts and that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Petty, Thanks! Have a great day : ) ~ F

      Delete
  15. Oh, we certainly need more books like this one. I love the name - Auggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, me too : ) Great to hear from you! ~ F

      Delete
  16. I am just about to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it, Elaine! Can't wait to hear what your thoughts are when you are done. :) ~L

      Delete
  17. I'm curious about this book, too. Thanks for the review. Kindness and compassion are much needed in our world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudine- I couldn't agree more! This is such a great book- I can't stop thinking about it. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget