Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Over or Under?



Gregor the Overlander (Book 1 in the Underland Chronicles) is one unforgettable book! When Gregor and his sister, Boots, are doing the laundry and his sister disappears behind a vent- the two of them are in for a wild and unexpected journey. Beneath New York City there this an old and strange city filled with people and creatures with different characteristics than the ones above land. Imagine meeting a talking rat or a cockroach larger than a human? What if you found out that the odd people and beings in this new land had been waiting for you for centuries? Would you want to stay or would you want to get home as soon as possible? Read this amazing book to find out what happens to Gregor and Boots!




This has to be one of my all time favorite books. I think Boots is hilarious and I like that Gregor is stronger and braver than he knows. He is also quite smart and good at problem solving- which makes him someone I would want to be friends with. I loved reading about his interactions with the people and beings from the Underworld. I have to be honest- at first this book did not appeal to me, because I don’t like bugs all that much- and giant bugs sounded disgusting. I am glad I put those feelings aside and read this fast paced adventure. Suzanne Collins sure knows how to tell a story. I was hooked from the first chapter and when the book ended I picked up the second book in the series right away. I just finished the third book- and I can’t wait to start the rest of the series. This book has excellent vocabulary and a unique story. I think anyone from 4th-8th grade that likes fantasy and adventure will be hooked, just like me.


Has anyone else read any of the Gregor books? Or another book by Suzanne Collins?


Happy Reading-
~L

3 comments:

  1. Gregor was awesome! I loved the whole series! Lizzy, we all know how you love bugs, especially spiders... lol... ~ F

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I have never heard of this book- it sounds fantastic. I have heard of this author- but only The Hunger Games (which I haven't read). This book sounds cool- great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to put this on my "to read" list! Not familiar with Suzanne Collins, but great review, I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget