Friday, May 18, 2018

What's Happening on Shady Street?




“It’s watching me, this house. Waiting to swallow me whole in its cobwebby corners and creaky closets.” ~Lindsay Currie, The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street





Tessa Woodward‘s family moves from Florida to Chicago when her father gets offered a job he can’t pass up. Leaving her best friend behind in sunny Florida is hard, but she acts like everything’s okay so her parents don’t feel bad. It isn’t long before Tessa’s creepy house starts making her nervous. After her brother’s ventriloquist dummy shows up in her room in the middle of the night and he’s crying real tears, Tessa knows something or someone is trying to get her attention.  And what are the crying sounds she hears? Luckily, she has befriended a few kids from school and they agree to help Tessa solve the mystery. If it wasn’t for them she’d never have the nerve to visit the local cemetery and find out who is haunting her house on Shady Street. Will they be able figure out what’s happening in Tessa’s house? Is there any way to make the strange occurrences stop? You’ll have to read this spooky to find out.

After my class did a Skype visit with Lindsay Currie, I was curious about The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street. and was not disappointed! Tessa is someone Fairday and I definitely would be friends with, and imagine all the help we could give each other with creepy houses! I especially loved the reference to Watcher in the Woods, which is one of our go to movies when we want to scare ourselves silly. I enjoyed the writing and the characters are interesting. Tessa’s parents are nice and involved, even though she keeps her sleuthing a secret. The addition of the ventriloquist definitely upped the scary factor. I have always found them a little unsettling, and the one in this book really made me shiver. Although this was my first book by Lindsey Currie, I will be looking for more books by her in the future. I recommend this to kids in fourth grade and up who like a book to give them a fright.

Has anyone else read The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street by Lindsay Currie? We’d love to hear your thoughts!


Happy Reading
~L

36 comments:

  1. Ventriloquist's dummies, like clowns, scare me witless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am okay with clowns- though I know lots of people who feel the same way. I think it's the eyes and the mouth of the ventriloquist's dummy that creeps me out. :) ~L

      Delete
  2. Yeah, never trust a ventriloquist haha sounds like a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat- Especially if the dummy is crying! :) ~L

      Delete
  3. This sounds to be right up my street! Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tessa seems like such a brave main character, putting on a brave face for her parents and also going on adventure with friends to find the source of her problems. We need more children like her! I also really like the sound of the parents being involved and not ignored in the story ^.^ Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia- I definitely think she is brave. I was glad friends went on the adventure with her because doing it alone would be too scary. I liked her parents too. :) Glad you enjoyed the review! ~L

      Delete
  5. What a great writeup! The book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. I really enjoyed it! :) ~L

      Delete
  6. Do you know Headless Cupid? This storyline reminds me of that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Armchair Squid- I am going to look up Headless Cupid now. :) Thanks! ~L

      Delete
  7. The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street is a fantastic creepy ghost story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda- Glad to hear you loved it too! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. I haven't read it but it sounds like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a fun, spooky read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't read it yet, but it's now on my Wishlist - sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds terrifying. I can't stand ventriloquist dummies. They are the scariest thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate- I agree with you that they are scary. I found that part of the book to be very creepy. ~L

      Delete
  12. I did enjoy reading your write up about this book, it sounds very good.

    Hope you are having a great weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan- I am glad you enjoyed the review! :) ~L

      Delete
  13. Love this! So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun she did a skype visit with the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Skype was awesome! She even read part of The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street to us. :) ~L

      Delete
  15. Ventriloquists have always creeped me out as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cynical Sailor- I wouldn't want one for a toy. :) ~L

      Delete
  16. Great review lovely :D Yay for enjoying this one a lot. Books that are a bit scary are the best ones. Seems like a good story too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina- I really enjoyed it. Just the right amount of spooky. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget