Friday, March 2, 2018

Margo's Musings: Bartholomew and the Oobleck

"The least you could do is say the simple words, I'm sorry." ~Bartholomew Cubbins, Bartholomew and the Oobleck

I love when Read Across America Day arrives because I know that spring is around the corner. Plus, it's awesome to get to celebrate Dr. Seuss and his fantastical books. This year, I was excited to share some of my favorites with my little sister, Margo. With so many books to choose from, we were able to enjoy lots of stories. She loves the funny rhymes and creatures that are in Dr. Seuss’s books. But this year, her choice is Bartholomew and the Oobleck. It’s hard to resist a book that's followed up with making a slimy, interesting mix that will entertain for hours!


In this book, King Derwin of Didd is tired of rain, sun, fog and snow. He wants something different and asks the royal magicians to make the sky shower something exciting upon them. The next morning, a young page, Bartholomew Cubbins, wakes up to find that the oobleck the king wanted is indeed falling. The king declares a holiday and wants everyone outside. It is green, unique, and exciting- at first. But, after a bit, there’s no doubt it’s messy. The oobleck won’t stop showering the kingdom, and creatures are getting stuck. How can they stop it? Can anything be done? What are the magic words? This entertaining story has an important message in its pages.


If Margo loves one thing, it’s a mess. That made this Dr. Seuss book perfect! Her giggles as we watched the green goop sticking to things throughout the book made me laugh too. She kept pointing and saying, “Bleck, bleck, bleck”. After we finished reading, it was time to make some of our own. The ingredients are so easy (we made it with and without the food coloring, and it’s fun either way). I know we’ll be revisiting this Seuss classic again!

Ingredients:
2 cups cornstarch
1 cup water
1-2 drops food coloring (optional)
Mix in a bowl. Add water to cornstarch sl-ow-ly! (easier to mix)

Has anyone else read Bartholomew and the Oobleck? What’s your favorite book by Dr. Seuss? Have you ever made oobleck? We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Happy reading!

~ F

28 comments:

  1. A fun one indeed. Green Eggs and Ham is one of our top Seuss books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guessed it from the image alone on Monday (and didn't even know it) so obviously this one stuck in my brain after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- Isn't it amazing what sticks in our minds? :) ~F

      Delete
  3. this sounds really fun. I love the recipe for coloring !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria- It is tons of fun and easy too! v

      Delete
  4. What a fun book, and lots of goo for those who like it. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie- A fun project for people of all ages. :) ~F

      Delete
  5. Hi DMS - Margo has some great times ... and those giggles when 'gooing' around ... love it - I don't know Dr Seuss except by hearsay ... one day I'll look at a few of his books - perhaps in the library now I'm nearby - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary- Most of his books are filled with rhymes- some are long and some are short. I hope you find one at the library- I am sure they must have some of his books. :) ~F

      Delete
  6. I loved that book. I think there were 2 Bartholomew books, weren't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L. Diane- There were! The other is Bartholomew Cubbins and the 500 Hats. :) ~F

      Delete
  7. You know, I've never read that! I pride myself on knowing / reading a lot of childrens literature, but I am woefully lacking in my knowledge of Dr. Seuss... I really need to remedy this, especially now that I have tiny kiddos of my own! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gingi- There are lots of Dr. Seuss books out there. He has a variety of wordy and not so wordy- long and short. I hope you and the kiddos enjoy exploring his books. :) ~F

      Delete
  8. What a fun story. I can imagine young readers giggling and wanting to make the goop. This is a new one for me. Guess it's time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun entertaining way to share the story together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always liked Dr. Seuss. Green Eggs and Ham was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard of this one! How fun :) Definitely enjoy some good goo, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- It is one of his older ones and longer than many of his others. Glad to be able to introduce you to a new one of his books. :) ~F

      Delete
  12. Haha! We were just discussing this book at a dinner party last night.

    Growing up, I had a Dr. Seuss LP record and this story was on it. The Oobleck track somehow got gum on it and was therefore unplayable - sad yet appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Armchair Squid- How interesting that you were just talking about this book. That is crazy about the gum- but definitely appropriate! :) ~F

      Delete
  13. This looks like such a fun book :D I'm glad you enjoyed it. <3 Love the pictures you shared from it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina- It is a really fun book. The project is fun too. :) ~F

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget