Friday, December 1, 2017

How Many Goldfish?

Ellie's kindergarten teacher gave each kid in the class a goldfish. It wasn't long before everyone's fish died, but not Ellie's. Hers didn't pass away until she was eleven. Only then did she find out that there hadn't been one fish, but thirteen. Her mom had simply bought her another fish every time one died. Ellie's fish is gone, and she's in a new grade, at a new school. Her best friend has moved on to a different crowd and Ellie isn't really sure where she fits in anymore. When a strange teenage boy shows up at her apartment she can't help feeling that he reminds her of someone. Ellie almost can't believe it when she finds out the teenage boy is really her grandfather. He has found a way to stop getting older and start getting younger. Of course, he wants to be recorded in the history books for his scientific breakthrough. Unfortunately,  he's having trouble getting what he needs out of his lab, now that he's about fifty years younger. Plus, being a "teen" again, he's back at school so he doesn't get in trouble for truancy. Will Ellie's grandfather make a scientific name for himself? What will it be like for her to go to school with her grandfather? Is being able to stop aging something we should strive for? You will have to read this book to find out what Ellie thinks about it all.

I've read a few books by Jennifer L. Holm and enjoyed them all, so I was excited to read The Fourteenth Goldfish. I didn't know what to expect, but I fell into the story. I was able to relate to the main character, and I liked her voice. I thought it was unique for a kindergarten teacher to give kids a goldfish so they could learn about death. I had never heard of anyone doing that before. It was interesting to watch Ellie and her grandfather's relationship develop now that they were close to the same age. I can see how going back to middle school with the mind of someone close to seventy would have a big effect on all the social struggles most people are going through. I enjoyed this book because it made me think about scientific discovery and the impact that different things have on us. I would recommend it to anyone in fourth grade and up who likes realistic fiction and science. It will definitely make you think about what it means to get older.

Has anyone else read The Fourteenth Goldfish? Or have you read another book by Jennifer L. Holm? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L

34 comments:

  1. That's quite a unique set up for a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One that makes you think sure is a win indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read this book. It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty- It was definitely interesting! :) ~L

      Delete
  4. Ayla read this recently and loved it. She's on a Jennifer Holm kick now. I believe she's reading Turtle in Paradise at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- I LOVED Turtle in Paradise. I hope Ayla loves it too. I have read quite a few Jennifer Holm books- but she has so many that I have lots to go. :) ~L

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful story.Wish I could find a potion to make me younger! Have a good weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie- That potion is fun to think about. Maybe being a little younger would be fun- not sure going from 70s to being a teenager is a great idea (especially if you can't drive or vote).:) ~L

      Delete
  6. This sounds like such a fun and entertaining story. I’ve added it to must-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great sounding story ...
    Happy Friday and Happy December.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan- All the best to you too. This was a great read. :) ~L

      Delete
  8. What a neat idea for a story. Kids should love. And I think I'd enjoy it too. Thanks for telling us about it, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- I thought it was such a fun and unique idea for a story. A fast read, too! :) ~L

      Delete
  9. how many wishes is that if there are fourteen goldfish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dezmond- You will have to read it to find out. :) ~L

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a seriously fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read this book, but it's on my eternally long "want to read" list. I hope to get to it someday. It sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dena- It was on my list for a while too. So glad I finally go to it. It was a really fast read. :) ~L

      Delete
  12. What a cool story. I would've loved a teacher that gave me a goldfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa- I would have loved a teacher who gave me a goldfish too. :) ~L

      Delete
  13. I love the idea of this story. Very sweet and unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- It is really well written and a fast read too~ :) ~L

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Magic Love Crow- I really enjoyed it! :) ~L

      Delete
  15. Haven't seen this one before now, but aw, it looks pretty cute and awesome :) I'm glad you liked it a lot. Lovely review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now this one sounds a bit peculiar to me, but that makes it intriguing! Especially the idea of always getting younger, and now his age is causing him problems when it comes to his research :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia- It is a fast read and definitely interesting~ :)
      ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget