Friday, October 6, 2017

Margo's Musings: Creepy Carrots



Fall is in the air, the leaves are putting on a beautiful show, and Halloween décor is everywhere. Seeing pumpkins and scarecrows has put us in the mood for cooler days and spookier stories. I think that is why my little sister, Margo, was drawn to Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds. The colors on the cover drew me in too and I wanted to know how carrots could be creepy.

Jasper Rabbit loves carrots, and he can’t resist them. Every time he walks by Crackenhopper Field he must crunch a few tasty treats.  But then he starts to worry that his favorite food is following him. Can the carrots be after him? Jasper thinks so, and he knows he has to do something to protect himself!

The story is the perfect blend of a little spooky and a little funny. Margo and I cracked up at the end and we loved the faces on the carrots. Creepy Carrots is a wonderful book to read near Halloween because of the colors in the illustrations- but the book can be read any time of year, because it doesn’t actually tie into the holiday.


I thought Margo would want to skip carrots after reading this story, but instead she held a funny conversation with the carrots she dipped into hummus. I wish you could have heard her!

Has anyone else read Creepy Carrots? Or have you read another book by Aaron Reynolds? We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Happy reading!
~F

36 comments:

  1. Cover is very retro - looks like a fifties cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun one indeed. Who knew carrots could be creepy stalkers lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat- I was shocked at the secret life they lead! :) ~F

      Delete
  3. Hi DMS - I haven't ready of their books ... but does sound one that so many would enjoy reading or being read to ... fun to look at - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary- It is lots of fun and very clever. :) ~F

      Delete
  4. I wish I had heard Margo I'm sure it was very funny. I really like the cover and it sounds like a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara- Margo is hilarious! The book is tons of fun too. :) ~F

      Delete
  5. What an awesome cover and pick for the month of October. I so miss the days of reading picture books! Boris and Bella by Carolyn Crimi, and Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich by Adam Rex were two of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda- Picture books are a lot of fun. I will have to read the two you recommended. Sound great! :) ~F

      Delete
  6. My kids are sadly outgrowing picture books. However, we did read this one and one with the underwear by the same author and found them to be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- Glad you and your kids enjoyed this one and the one about Creepy Underwear! I just read that one today. Funny. :) ~F

      Delete
  7. Creepy Carrots sounds like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what fun. And what a wonderful vengeance on creepy carrots to dip them in hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little spooky and a little funny is an awesome combo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to pick this one up. It sounds adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- I think you will really enjoy it! :) ~F

      Delete
  11. Sounds like such a cute book!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our miniature rabbit Bon-Bon thinks the cover is spooky, but she likes the carrots. Course she's fickle. This week she prefers celery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joylene- Always good to hear right from the target audience. ;) ~F

      Delete
  13. Ahh, this book looks pretty awesome, lol :D Yay for enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the cover and the book sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic Love Crow- I love the cover too! Looks perfect for fall. :) ~F

      Delete
  16. Perfect for an October read!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. what about parsnips and parsley?

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute that she was talking to her carrots after this! I would also be very curious as to how carrots could be creepy and that would make me want to try this one too. I am glad it had humor in it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia- Savannah- I love veggies and this book made me laugh. The end is awesome! :) ~F

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget