Friday, May 26, 2017

Margo's Musings: A Piece of Cake


"Surely Little Bird won't mind if I give Chicken some of her cake. " ~Mouse, A Piece of Cake


Margo couldn't wait to read our latest library find. With its bright colors and adorable characters it's easy to see why she picked this one out. Plus, she has quite the sweet tooth and loves dessert. 

A Piece of Cake by LeUyen Pham tells the tale of Mouse, who made a birthday cake for his clever friend, Bird. On his way to deliver it, other animals ask him to trade a piece of the cake for something they have. Since Mouse is so kind- he can't say no to any of the trades, even though he doesn't think Bird will want any of the items. Will Bird be upset when Mouse shows up at his door?


What makes this book so great is that it seems predictable, but it isn't. You think you know what every animal is going to trade for a piece of cake, but you don't. Margo had a blast looking at the pictures and trying to figure out what was going to happen next. She laughed when she found out what Bird did with each item after she had them.  


The vibrant illustrations and Mouse's facial expressions make this a book that will be fun to read over and over again. The predictable parts allow for a younger kid or sibling to chime in. I know Margo and I enjoyed reading this one together- and of course we had to get some of my dad's cake when we were done!

Has anyone else read A Piece of Cake? Or have you read another book by LeUyen Pham? We'd love to hear your thoughts. 


Happy Reading!
~F

50 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful. I really enjoyed the books we read when I was young, but the imagination and the flair seems to have been taken to new levels in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC- You would enjoy this book. It is vibrant and fun. Picture books are such treasures. :) ~F

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful book. Thanks for introducing it! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as Bird wasn't upset, then all was well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun one to capture their imagination as the animals trade away on display.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. The Happy Whisk- Isn't it awesome? :) ~F

      Delete
  6. A Piece of Cake sounds like my kind of a book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachna- It is such a wonderful book! :) ~F

      Delete
  7. The illustrations are just lovely. So bright and colorful. I am sad that my two are outgrowing picture books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- This is such a beautiful book. The colors explode off the page. I hope you will get to check it out- your kids may still enjoy it because it is clever. :) ~F

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a fun read and what a darling cover!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra- Isn't the cover excellent? Such a great book. Have a great weekend too! :) ~F

      Delete
  9. Aw sounds cute. Yall are making me want cake so bad, though. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna- It really is a cute and fun read! Definitely makes you want cake though! :) ~F

      Delete
  10. This sounds so sweet! :) If the cover is any indication, I can tell why she loved the illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- It is a sweet book. The cover is a great indication of the illustrations. They are beautiful! :) ~F

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a fun one to read with the littles...

    ReplyDelete
  12. the illustrations do look absolutely delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. The Armchair Squid- I thought so! :) ~F

      Delete
  14. It looks adorable! Now you've really got me wanting to see the expressions on all the animals' faces. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexa- Mouse has fabulous expressions. I could so relate! :) ~F

      Delete
  15. This sounds a wonderful book, think the younger grandchildren would enjoy it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan- It is a great book and lots of fun to read aloud. Predictably unpredictable. :) ~F

      Delete
  16. This looks like a wonderful book. Will have to see if our library has it. Thanks for the info. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen- I hope your library has it! It is adorable. :) ~F

      Delete
  17. I love this book absolutely :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria- As a baker, you will love it. And you will want to make cake! :) ~F

      Delete
  18. This sounds amazing, and you have me so curious! I'm going to have to grab this one and see what happens! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Belle's Tale- It is a fast read! The pictures are beautiful and the story is fun. Enjoy! :) ~F

      Delete
  19. This looks adorable <3
    I'm already in love with the story and pictures. And why wouldn't I be? It's by LeUyen Pham. I read her Princess in Black which had really pretty illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriana- It is adorable. I didn't realize she did Princess in Black too. I will have to check it out. Thanks for shairng. :) ~F

      Delete
  20. I am glad she was able to enjoy reading this one so much! It sounds like it is unpredictable and I think I understand Mouse, I have a lot of trouble saying no myself sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia-Savannah- The unpredictability makes it so fun. I can relate to not being able to say no too! :) ~F

      Delete
  21. Sounds like a great book! Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic Love Crow- Isn't the cover great! :) ~F

      Delete
  22. This looks so adorable!

    I'm stopping by for the Get Social Blogger Event - For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen- It is a beautiful book. Thanks for stopping by! :) ~F

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget