Friday, January 20, 2017

No Soup?

Despereaux came into the world with eyes open, looking at the light. This seemed very wrong to the rest of the mouse family. From that day on he only continued to be more different from the other mice. With his oversized ears and tiny body, Despereaux didn't want to eat pages, he wanted to read them. He didn't want to scurry around, he wanted to enjoy the light and the sounds. Once he put his eyes on Princess Pea, he was in love. Despereaux would do anything for her. When he admits to talking to Princess Pea, a human, he is sentenced to the dungeon for breaking the main mouse code. Despereaux’s story overlaps and intertwines with that of a rat, Roscuro, and a peasant girl, Miggery Sow. The reader gets to hear the story from each of their points of view as the tale progresses. The rat, who also loved the light, came to distaste it after falling in to the queen’s soup and killing her. He decided it was time for him to go along with the rest of the rats and their evil ways. Sadly, soup is outlawed, as it was the queen's favorite meal when she was alive and the king thinks it will be too sad to have it now. No spoons. No soup. No comfort food. No easy to make meals for those who don't have a lot of money. When Miggery Sow comes to live at the castle, she wants to become a princess. What will happen when the plot thickens and the princess may lose her crown? Will Despereaux be able to survive the dungeon? Will the rat stay with his evil ways? Will there be a happily ever after? Is soup ever going to be eaten again in the kingdom? Read this unique fairytale to find out!

I have read quite a few books by Kate DiCamillo. The Tale of Despereaux is by far my favorite. I love fairytales, and this one has something for everyone. There's action and adventure, with plenty of twists and turns. If you like stories with love and heartache, then you'll be able to relate. If the reader pays attention, there's lots of good advice sprinkled in. I love the development of the different characters and it was wonderful to see Despereaux evolve. I applauded him for being who he was and not changing his ways just to be accepted. I'd recommend this book to those in third grade and up who like a book where story lines connect, and of course, anyone who enjoys a good comforting bowl of soup! I would be upset if I could never eat soup again, and I use spoons pretty regularly too! 


Has anyone else read The Tale of Despereaux? Or have you read another book by Kate DiCamillo? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L

39 comments:

  1. Love the sound of this story. I think I'm in the third grade of old age, so it should be something for me, too! Mde me think about Reepicheep in Narnia. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie-Jael- This is definitely a book that kids and adults will enjoy. It will remind you of a good old-fashioned fairy tale with some twists and turns. :) ~L

      Delete
  2. I'd be all right with not eating soup again.
    I would've read that as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- You would have eaten this up as a kid. You'd have an easy time in the kingdom if you could do without soup. :) ~L

      Delete
  3. I haven't eaten soup in like 25 years, so I think I'd be good lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat- 25 year? Wow! I just had it two days ago. Love soup on a cold winter's day :) ~L

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an interesting story. Like Alex, I might have read that when I was younger. Have a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen- It is an interesting story and it's well told. I think it is a book you can enjoy at every age. :) ~L

      Delete
  5. It’s in my TBR pile so perhaps I should read it once I finish The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow, which I’m LOVING by the way. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara- We are thrilled to hear you are loving The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow. Yay! We think you will adore The Tale of Despereaux and hope you get to it next. :) ~Jess and Stephanie

      Delete
  6. Hi Liz - no soup ... banished: that's very bad ... I hope Miggery Sow can help sort things out, while Despereaux gets the necessary help and resolves things ... looks like a fun read - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary- No soup would be terrible! Such a comforting dish. It is a tale that will keep readers turning the pages. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. I'd be more worried if forks were banned. But no soup or spoons could be problematic too. I need to read this book. Long overdue. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheena-Kay- It was way too overlong for me too! I am so glad I finally picked it up. Utensils make life so much easier- it is hard to imagine life without them. :) ~L

      Delete
  8. I can't believe that I have never read this one. I need to read it with my daughter, Risa. Thanks for putting this back on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- I couldn't believe I hadn't read it yet either. I think you and your daughter will love The Tale of Despereaux. Glad to put it back on your radar. :) ~L

      Delete
  9. It does sound like fun. I have a huge weakness for fairy tales - old and new.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do sometimes feel a bit Despereaux!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Kate DiCamillo's books but haven't read this one. It sounds adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- If you love Kate DiCamillo's books, then you will adore this one! :) ~L

      Delete
  12. This story sounds excellent! I love the rat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic Love Crow- It is great! The characters are awesome! :) ~L

      Delete
  13. This sounds so adorable, and I was amazed by the "evil" soup plot twist. Nooo! I love soup! Thanks for the feature of the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexa- I love soup too! This is a great book and appealing on so many levels. :) ~L

      Delete
  14. Can't remember the last time I've read a fairy tale. Looks like worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lux- It is definitely worth checking out! :) ~L

      Delete
  15. I read this when it first pubbed, and I may be one of the few people in the country who didn't care for it that much. (I just don't like being constantly addressed as "Dear Reader") However, I LOVE Kate DiCamillo's other books and especially THE MAGICIAN'S ELEPHANT, which I re-read periodically. It reads like a fable, with a lovely, dreamlike quality to the writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne- I can understand your "Dear Reader" complaint. I thought the story was very interesting. I haven't read The Magician's Nephew, yet- but it's been on my list for ages. Hope to get to it soon. :) ~L

      Delete
  16. My gosh, I eat soup about 4 times a week, I would not like being able to eat it... this sounds like a really cute book with a great story line xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Launna- I found it hard to imagine a world without soup too! :) ~L

      Delete
  17. It sounds very intriguing and I would read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it sounds good to you, ToTylkoJa! :)

      Delete
  18. Enjoy your break Jess. I wish you happy writing!:))
    (The publish button under the last post doesn't work for me, so I'm commenting here:))
    Hugs!:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for posting this here! Sorry commenting on the other post was a problem. Thanks for the good wishes. :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget