Friday, July 1, 2016

Is it Worth it to Get to the Top?

Most kids grow up knowing the story of Jack and the Beanstalk. They know how he climbed the giant beanstalk and stole goods from the giant. What many of us don't know is what happened to Jack after he got back. In this twisted fairy tale we learn about Nick, who comes years after Jack. He's a thief out of necessity to fill his belly and to survive in a world where he has no one but himself. When Nick gets connected to an evil gang of men his only choice is to break into a gigantic home and steal the treasures inside. When Nick climbs in and makes his way to the center of the home he's shocked to discover paintings that tell the story of Jack and the Beanstalk.  He sees the Golden Hen and tries to steal it, only to come face to face with Jack, who fills him in on what’s happened since he came down the stalk and shares a deep regret he has about the incident. Nick gets to see the magic bean, and when the opportunity arises, he takes it. Outside he drops the bean and an enormous beanstalk sprouts up before his eyes. The energy from the plant is extraordinary, and he begins the climb to the top. The giant Jack had encountered may be gone, but that doesn't mean there aren’t giants at the top. The creatures have many ways to terrorize young thieves. Can Jack right the wrongs of his pilfering? Will Nick be able to get the treasure he so desires? Is there any way to make it back down the stalk alive? Your questions will continue to grow as you turn the pages!

The Thief and the Beanstalk by P.W. Catanese is the third Further Tales Adventure I’ve read by this author. I couldn't wait to pick up another one! I was just as enchanted with this story and it brought back memories of the version I had heard of Jack and the Beanstalk. I liked that the main character is one I could sympathize with even though he was a thief. It was also fun getting to learn what happened to Jack after he came down to earth. I was on the edge of my seat through most of this book because the bad guys were so bad! I recommend this book to kids in fourth grade and up who like fantasy. A great book to bring out discussion about fairy tales and what happened to characters after-the-fact.

As anyone else read The Thief and the Beanstalk? Or have you read another book by P.W. Catanese? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

49 comments:

  1. Always neat to think of what happened to characters after the fairy tale is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the themes of the series with what happened afterwards. Sounds like a cute book!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty- I found all the books in the series that I have read to be fascinating! :) ~L

      Delete
  3. This book sounds really good! The cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty- You will love it! Read it one day when you are in the mood for a fairy tale and you will be swept away. :) ~L

      Delete
  4. I love fractured fairy tales. I wasn't familiar with this one. I will try to check it out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always cool to learn what happened to the characters. Sounds very original and a cool take on a classic fairy tale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit- I love the new take on a classic fairy tale and I am so glad I read this one. :) ~L

      Delete
  6. I always love a twist to a fairy tale. I remember my children bringing home "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" by Jon Scieszka. The whole family loved the tale. I think it is a creative way for an author to begin another tale. Thanks for sharing this with your followers. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria- I love The True Story of the Three Little Pigs! It is always fun to take stories we know and get to see another side. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. Sounds amazing and love the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds amazing and love the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds great. I have always been suspicious of 'happy ever after' and wanted to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting twist on the Jack and The Beanstalk story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read this one. Sounds unique! thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so good because I like the idea of Jack wanted to make up for the wrongdoings he's done. It's mostly because the actual fairytale is kind of showing that stealing is the way for a person to solve all their problems... which it isn't really... so it's nice to see that twisted around to what it should be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia-Savannah- I agree with you! This book did a great job showing that Jack felt remorse for some of the things he did and that he wanted to make up for the bad that he did. His life definitely wasn't "happily ever after". A great book! :) ~L

      Delete
  13. I haven't read this story, but it's a neat idea. And now we know what happened to Jack. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- It is a fun book for sure! :) ~L

      Delete
  14. What a great idea for a story to find out what happened to Jack afterwards... I hope he makes the right decision so he doesn't have any regret ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Launna- I thought it was a great idea for a story too! I like that Jack gets a chance to redeem himself. :) ~L

      Delete
  15. Wow, this storyline is fantastic. I love anything related to fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea for the storyline twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Release Books- I thought so too! :) ~L

      Delete
  17. This seems like a good break from the genres I'm reading lately.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun to find out what happened to Jack after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- I loved finding out what happened to him! :) ~L

      Delete
  19. This sounds absolutely amazing. I have a special place in my heart for perversions of old fairy tales. Adding this to my wishlist as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert- I hope you enjoy it! So fun to read twisted fairy tales. :) ~L

      Delete
  20. Sounds like a fun series! Thanks for sharing this one - and that's great you really enjoyed it. I like when people re-do or come back to fairy tales. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shooting Stars Mag- Fairy tales can really go in so many different directions. :) ~L

      Delete
  21. So want to read this! I ADORE all things about Jack and the Beanstalk. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- Then you are sure to love this one! :) ~L

      Delete
  22. So want to read this! I ADORE all things about Jack and the Beanstalk. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This story sounds awesome, and I hope he does get to redeem himself! (I wasn't able to publish my comment for your latest post. Want to wish you two a great summer break!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudine- It is an awesome story.

      Sorry Blogger was giving you a problem publishing your comment. We are glad you posted it here and appreciate the good wishes. It was lovely to have a bit of a break. :) ~Stephanie and Jess

      Delete
  25. Lovely review sweetie :D So glad you liked this book. <3 You make it seem pretty exciting :) Curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina- It is a great tale that can be enjoyed by kids and adults! :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget