Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What's Behind the Walls?

When CJ, Brid, Patrick, and their baby sister move to 5th Avenue from Brooklyn their lives change dramatically. With their new address comes fancy private schools and distance from old friends. They aren't happy about it until they stumble upon clues to a mystery that's almost 100 years old. Bouncing a tennis ball, which goes astray, leads them to a mysterious message behind a wall, and they discover a way overdue library book (it was due in 1937). They don't realize that returning the book will change their lives forever. They aren’t the only ones trying to solve the mystery. But, not everyone has access to the poems written on the walls of their apartment, and they also have a handwritten book of poems that must mean something. But, what? Is the man who is has been creeping around their apartment safe? Who is Eloise from downstairs? Was a treasure really hidden? Could something like that even still be there after all these years? Is it possible for three kids to solve a mystery that no one has been able to solve in all these years? You have to read this adventure! See if you can solve the case!

Walls Within Walls by Maureen Sherry was right up my alley. I love to solve mysteries and so do these kids. Put us in an apartment together and we'd have lots of fun! I like that the mystery was based around poems because I read a variety of different ones in this book, and I feel like not only was I getting to solve the mystery, but I learned a lot too. It was also great that there were codes and puzzles for the reader to solve along with the characters. I liked CJ and Brid, but their younger brother Patrick was probably my favorite. I think I'll skip having him write any letters to my teachers though after seeing what he wrote (you will laugh out loud). Eloise is an excellent character and she added so much to the story. This was my first book by this author but I look forward to reading more books by her in the future, especially the rest of the series which has been exciting so far. I would recommend this book to kids in fourth grade and up. I think younger kids could enjoy it with an adult but they might need some help and some explanations to solve the problems/codes. Anyone who lives in NYC will have a blast and the upper hand when trying to figure out the clues. I know I have some places to visit soon to see if they match what was in the book.   

Has anyone else read Walls Within Walls? Or have you read another book by Maureen Sherry? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

30 comments:

  1. No, I haven't read this or anything by this author yet, but it does look good. I like mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medeia- It is great! I hope you get to read it soon. :) ~L

      Delete
  2. Looks like a pretty neat read. Full of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter loves mysteries. I just recommended this to her after reading your review. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suze- Awesome! I hope she likes it as much as I did. :) ~L

      Delete
  4. This one sounds terrific. I just added it to my TBR list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- It is definitely a wonderful read. I am sure you will enjoy it! :) ~L

      Delete
  5. What a fun sounding premise. The mystery is really intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M Pax- It is a unique and interesting mystery! :) ~L

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an interesting read! Thanks so much for the info and thoughts about it. This might interest my niece, will have to mention it to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen- It is a great read. If you recommend it your niece- I hope she likes it. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. I always enjoyed good mystery books when I was a kid and I hope my kids will love them too. I will add this to my ever growing Risa and Matues list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- I can only imagine how long your list is for them! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. This sounds like fun! The Purple Penguin (my daughter) is keen on mysteries at the moment. We may need to seek this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Armchair Squid- I hope the Purple Penguin enjoys this one. I loved it! :) ~L

      Delete
  9. Mysteries are such fun and really make kids think, which is an added plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimba- So true! The added fact that it involves places in NYC would make it a fun book to read while visiting. :) ~L

      Delete
  10. Great review. I've never read this but it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the idea of poems written on an apartment wall. This books sounds great and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy- The poems definitely added an intriguing element. A great book and the cover is cool too! :) ~L

      Delete
  12. I haven't read this book or anything by this author, but it sounds like one kids would like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry- It is a great book for kids and adults. :) ~L

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a pretty good summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It actually sounds pretty intriguing. I like the idea of letting readers solve mysteries. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie- I liked that aspect too! :) ~L

      Delete
  15. I love Maureen's premise! It's a great idea to have a new home (which some kids don't like) reveal secrets and be the beginning of an adventure. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexa- I agree! Great way to move into a new home. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget