Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Do Wishes On Unicorns Come True?

Every day after school Mags has to take care of her little sister, Hannie, who has special needs, and her brother, Mooch, who everyone is saying is a thief. Her mom has to get ready to go to work at her second job in the factory and someone needs to make dinner, do the dishes, clean up the trailer, and get the little ones to bed. Sometimes Mags just wishes it didn't have to be her. When does she get to be a kid? When does someone take care of her? Life isn’t easy when everyone at school thinks you're trash, and the school bully is trying to cause problems for you. When Mags and Hannie stumble upon an old, dirty discarded unicorn in the field coming home from school, Hannie must have it. Mags tries to explain to her that there's nowhere to put it in their trailer. But, Hannie believes the unicorn is magic, and she won't leave it behind. Finally, they take it home, deciding to hide it in a garbage bag. Mooch makes the first wish on the unicorn. Next, Mags wishes on the unicorn because she really needs some new clothes. Hannie doesn't wish because she isn’t sure what she wants to wish for. Mags thinks the wishes are silly, but then there are clothes waiting for her when she gets home. Secondhand clothes appear from her aunt, and they make Mags feel pretty good. The next day more magic seems to be happening. Is it the unicorn? Things seem to be getting better, but when faced with a big decision will Mags make the right choice? Will Hannie ever use her wish? Can wishes really come true if wished on a stuffed unicorn? You will have to decide for yourself.

I really enjoyed Wish on a Unicorn by Karen Hesse. My heart went out to Mags, and I wish I could meet her and be friends with her because it's clear she needs a friend. I felt bad for her that she wants to be friends with some girls in class who may not be so nice. Sometimes we want things because we're looking at them through a distorted lens. Mags feels bad about herself and her home life, and I think this makes the popular girls seem more glamorous. My heart also went out to Mags because she has a lot of responsibility for someone her age. Kids are mean to her sister and brother, but her family is simply trying to just get along day by day. I think kids in fifth grade and up would enjoy this book and would want to be friends with Mags too. It made me realize that we often spend so much time wishing about things we don't have- that we don't see what's right in front of us. When push comes to shove we want our family and those we love to be safe and happy. I have to tell you this book made me cry. I listened to it on audio, and I definitely recommend it to others. The narrator did a wonderful job, and I felt my heart being pulled towards the characters. I look forward to reading more books by this author.

Has anyone else read Wish on a Unicorn? Or have you read another book by Karen Hesse? We would love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

30 comments:

  1. I love the title and this sounds like a charming read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBM- That is what first drew me in! :) ~L

      Delete
  2. I've always like Karen Hesse, but to tell the truth, I had forgotten this book. Thanks for sharing this books and your thoughts about it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- I am glad to hear you have read and enjoyed other books by Karen Hesse. I look forward to reading more of her books. :) ~L

      Delete
  3. Poor Mags I feel so sorry for her! Whenever I read stories like this, I realise what a privileged young life I had.
    I’ve not read wish on a unicorn, but it sounds lovely, so I’m going to.
    Sorry I’ve not been over lately I’ve been on holiday. Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara- My heart still goes out to Mags. It definitely made me appreciate the life I have had.

      Hope your holiday was lovely! :) ~L

      Delete
  4. I have not read this book. Kids can really be mean. It's sad when this happens, but it's nice to have a book that addresses it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry- Kids can be mean and it always hurts me heart to see or read about it. ~L

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful story. Love the cover and title... the plot too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MPax- Definitely a story that makes you want to believe in magic. :) ~L

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a sweet story that will serve as an important learning experience for the children who read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie- You are right! It definitely has important lessons for kids. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. Although I have heard of this author...I have not read anything by her...yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty- I have a few more of her books- but this was the first one I read. :) I didn't know it was her first book at the time! ~L

      Delete
  8. True-to-life stories are a challenge with that age group. Sounds like this one worked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Armchair Squid- This book definitely made me think about the different places we all come from. A lot of time people don't think about the stress others are carrying around with them. :) ~L

      Delete
  9. I haven't read this one, but I ordered it while reading this post. It sounds like a good one. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi- I hope you will enjoy it! Mags and her siblings definitely have challenges! ~L

      Delete
  10. I haven't read this, but what a cute concept and book title idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie- Definitely a book that makes you think about wishes and superstitions- as well as where real magic can be found. :) ~L

      Delete
  11. Haven't read it yet. However, the unicorn in my garden has recommended I do so. Mags needs to have time to be a child, indeed.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary- Your garden unicorn is quite smart, of course. :) Mags definitely needs time to be a kid! :) ~L

      Delete
  12. I would love to read this. Except for the unicorn part, the characters sound realistic...and I like some possible magic tossed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medeia- It is definitely a realistic book and the magic that is mentioned really just reminds us that there is magic all around us and that believing things will happen might help them come to be. :) ~L

      Delete
  13. I've not red any book by this author before, but it seems as though Mags is an awesome character. Great post!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janina- Mags is a character that grabs your heart. I look forward to more books by Hesse. :) ~L

      Delete
  14. I haven't read this one, but have enjoyed other books from Karen Hesse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- Glad to hear that you have read and enjoyed other books by Karen Hesse! :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget