Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What's Happening in Bottlebay, Maine?

It has been a year since Felicity Bathburn Budwig was dropped off in America to live with family she hadn't met. Flissy, as she came to be known, had a hard time adjusting to Maine, her new family (The Gram, Uncle Gideon, Aunt Miami, and Derek), and being separated from her parents, whom she called Winnie and Danny. But in the past year something amazing happened. Flissy has grown to love Bottlebay, Maine, the eccentric Bathburns, and her buddy and secret crush, Derek. With World War II still in full swing, Flissy can’t help but continue to worry about Winnie and Danny, especially since she hasn’t heard from them in months. Derek has always known that he was taken in by the Bathburns, and has no idea when his real birthday is or who his birth parents are. When Derek starts having secret meetings with a man who claims to be his real father, he makes Flissy promise not to say anything to anyone at the house, because he wants to get to know his dad first. Flissy is torn about what to do. There seems to be something wrong with Derek’s father, and when she overhears conversations about the fact that Uncle Gideon may be going to do something dangerous with the war, she thinks she'll burst. All these secrets are weighing her down, and she isn’t feeling like a child anymore. Is the man claiming to be Derek’s father really who he says he is? Should Flissy keep Derek’s secret? Are Winnie and Danny safe in Europe? Will Uncle Gideon survive his mission? Traveling back in time to Maine with Flissy and family will keep you turning the pages! 


Romeo Blue by Phoebe Stone is the sequel to The Romeo and Juliet Code. I had so much fun journeying back to the house by the sea in Maine. My heart went out to Flissy as she waits to hear from her parents and worries about everyone around her.  She has a lot on her mind for a young girl, and I felt bad for her that she had to grow up so quickly. I read this book quickly, as I had to find out about Derek’s father and some of the other mysteries that reveal themselves in this book. I loved getting to know more about the characters I have come to adore and can only hope there might be another book involving these characters. I like Flissy’s strong character and the way she really thinks things through and tries to do what is right, even if she isn’t always sure what that is. I know this book will be enjoyed by kids and adults from fourth grade and up.  It was such fun to journey back to Maine and learn about life during WWII.     

Has anyone else read Romeo Blue? Or have you read another book by Phoebe Stone?  We would love to hear your thoughts!


Stop by our author interview with Phoebe Stone and find out what she has to say about her stories! 

Happy Reading! ~L

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

40 comments:

  1. Ii have not read this book but it sounds like there is a lot going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Lilith- There is a lot going on in this wonderful HF book! :) ~L

      Delete
  2. I loved this book and I am hoping for more Flissy from Phoebe Stone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex- I am glad you enjoyed this one too! I want more Flissy too! I hope there will be another book! :) ~L

      Delete
  3. I remember your review of the first book, and this also sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- So glad you remember our review of The Romeo Code. :) The sequel is also excellent! So much fun getting to learn even more about the characters I came to love. ~L

      Delete
  4. I so loved the first of these but haven't yet read the second -- but I need to! So thanks for the reminder. I'm adding it to my to-read list so it doesn't skip out of my brain again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara- If you loved the first one then I know you will love this one even more! It was great seeing the characters develop even further and the story was so fast paced. I hope you get to read it soon! :) ~L

      Delete
  5. I think the premise of this story is exciting! There's so much intrigue and trouble for Flissy and Derek to get into. Wishing Phoebe huge success!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexa- Well said! There is lots of intrigue and trouble for Flissy and Derek. I was nervous! :) ~L

      Delete
  6. Felicity Bathburn Budwig - what a great name. Intrigued by her, I'm sure this is a real page turner of a book that once started is difficult to put down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy- Isn't it a great name? I love it! She is quite a character. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. I love it when I find a book I can gobble up and yet wish I hadn't finished. Love the name Flissy1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- I love the name Flissy too! This is a wonderful story that has stayed with me since I finished it. :) ~L

      Delete
  8. I was just looking at this at the Scholastic Book Fair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like one of those books that once you start you cannot stop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would appreciate this most because I like the era it is set in and I always like learning more about WWII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- I learned a lot about WWII. If you are a fan of the era then you will enjoy this one! :) ~L

      Delete
  11. Hi everybody, Thank you Jessica and Stephanie for the great review! You are both wonderful. I am actually having a lot of fun right now writing a new book...Not a 2nd sequel yet, Alex, but a book with a whole new cast of characters and world. It can be so joyous when it is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoebe- Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting with us and our readers. You made our day! How wonderful that you are working on a new book right now! We can't wait to read it. :) Wishing you the best of luck! ~ Stephanie and Jess

      Delete
  12. Ooh, love the cover. It reminds me of summer as a youth! The story sounds intriguing, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie- I agree that the cover is awesome! :) It is a great story! :) ~L

      Delete
  13. I love both name,s Flissy and Felicity Bathburn Budwig. Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie- Both great names for an amazing character! :) ~L

      Delete
  14. I haven't read either book but enjoy historical novels and this sounds like a great story. Wonderful review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- If you enjoy HF then you will love these books. :) ~L

      Delete
  15. I haven't read it, but it looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cover and title looked familiar. I didn't know there was a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medeia- The cover and title go perfectly with the first book in the series. Maybe that is why this one looks familiar. :) ~L

      Delete
  17. I've had the first book on my TBR list. I'll have to add this one as well. Thanks for the review! I love the catchy character names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth- I hope you get to read these two books soon! :) They are a treat and will make you want to go to Maine. ~L

      Delete
  18. I knew it! I was reading your review and the title and it all sounded so familiar. I really liked the plot of The Romeo and Juliet Code so I'm happy that the second book was so good for you too. I hope everything with Derek turns out all right. I'd probably do the same and read this one fast to see what happens with that mystery portion of the book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriana- You are great and remembering books and putting the clues together. :) You will have to read these books to find out what happens to Derek! So glad you enjoyed the review. ~L

      Delete
  19. I love the sound of this one, and I've been meaning to read The Romeo and Juliet Code for forever! Flissy sounds like such an awesome character, and this series is definitely on my TBR list! Fabulous review! *hugs*

    --Mckenzie @ A Belle's Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mckenzie- I hope you will enjoy this one and The Romeo Code. The characters are so endearing. ;) Thanks for visiting! ~L

      Delete
  20. I remember your review of The Romeo and Juliet Code, and am glad to hear of another book by this author. With the war setting, Romeo Blue sounds like a story of more intrigue and danger. I'd definitely check this one out soon. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudine- I hope you enjoy these two books. They have a way of lulling you in and making you feel as if you are back in time in a house by the sea. :) Happy reading! ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget