Wednesday, December 18, 2013

O Romeo, Romeo! What Do you Have to Do With Anything?

Felicity Bathburn Budwig is only eleven years old when she must leave England in the dark of night to travel with her parents, Winnie and Danny, across the sea to America. It is 1941, bombs are dropping in England, and the journey on the boat is just as scary. Felicity has never known any other family besides Winnie and Danny. As a matter of fact, Felicity has spent much of her eleven years raising herself. She meets her family in Bottlebay, Maine and they're like nothing she could have ever imagined. The Gram, Uncle Gideon, Aunt Miami, and Captain Derek are a cast of characters she will have to get to know on her own, no matter how hard it is. What choice does she have when her parents leave her there all alone, with nothing but a letter to give to Uncle Gideon if they are not back by Christmas? It is so hard for Felicity to keep that letter sealed, but she knows that good English girls are trustworthy. Everything feels so different from England, and she's very happy to have her bear, Wink, to keep her company when no one else seems to understand her. As the days go by Felicity, now nicknamed Flissy, longs for a letter from Danny and Winnie, but none seem to arrive for her, only for Uncle Gideon and they are all in some kind of code. When she finally discovers that Captain Derek is really a boy about her age, things really begin to change. Is it possible to have a crush on a sea captain? Will she ever hear from Winnie and Danny again? After they sneak in to Gideon’s room to read the letters, will she and Derek figure out what the coded letters say? Why is Aunt Miami always quoting Romeo and Juliet? What surprises will be discovered during the Christmas holiday season? You will have to travel back in time to Maine with Flissy and family to find out for yourself! 


The Romeo and Juliet Code by Phoebe Stone seemed to lull me into another world. The house by the sea in Maine became a favorite of mine as Derek, Gideon and the rest of the Bathburns became comfortable to me in the cozy setting. I felt for Flissy and how much she missed her parents. Even though no one else is scared about the war, she can’t help it after all that she experienced in England, and she still looks at her surroundings through nervous eyes. My heart went out to Flissy as she longs to hear from her parents and she worried about their safety every day. When Flissy and Derek tried to crack the code I felt nervous and stressed out for them. I was also impressed with their detective work! Flissy is someone I would most definitely want to be friends with, not only would it be fun to be friends with someone from another country, but I loved the way she spoke, and I connected to what was in her heart. All she really tries to do is help people and make their lives better. Being a child abandoned during the war would be very difficult, and it was so refreshing to see the way Flissy learned to trust herself and depend on those around her. She always had to be an adult, and now she finally gets to be a child. I can't wait to read the next book by this fantastic author! I think this book will be enjoyed by kids and adults from fourth grade and up. Journey back to Maine in 1941 and you will discover more than you ever expected!

Has anyone else read The Romeo and Juliet Code? Or have you read another book by Phoebe Stone? We would love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!
~L


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

32 comments:

  1. This sounds a tad bit more complex than the usual MG book! I love Romeo and Juliet to bits (I even watched the Orlando Bloom play at Broadway) and the inclusion of that in this book seems fascinating :)

    Great review!

    Sel @ Bookcase to Heaven™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sel- It is a little more complex with the introduction to Romeo and Juliet, but it isn't a book that makes you stop and reread. The parts of Romeo and Juliet may be a great help to future readers of the classic! :) It is a fascinating read!
      ~L

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a promising read with lots of thought provoking themes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy- This is definitely a wonderful book and the themes are great! :) ~L

      Delete
  3. No...I have not read any books by this author. I am really truly not knowledgeable about middle grade books. Some day I will fix this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty- This is one you would so enjoy, especially with your love of Maine! Happy reading. :) ~L

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of this one before, but it sounds like great read! Flissy sounds like a strong character too. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherie- Isn't it fun to be introduced to new books? I love it! Flissy is a very strong character and it was so fun to watch her grow. :) ~L

      Delete
  5. I started loving to read historical novels in elementary school and The Romeo and Juliet Code sounds like one I would have enjoyed a lot. Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna Maria- HF books are so fascinating. I always learn so much and it makes me appreciate history. I bet this is a book you would have adored back in elementary school! :) ~L

      Delete
  6. Historicals are so hard to write, and I admire any author who tackles them. Flissy sounds like an adorable character. Wishing Phoebe success with her sweet book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexa- I agree with you that a lot of work goes into HF books! So much research and attention to detail! Flissy is adorable and I love her name. :) ~L

      Delete
  7. I haven't read this book or anything else by this author, but I am enjoying the sound of this book. It sounds full of twists and excitement. I love earlier eras and this sounds like a setting that I would enjoy. Thanks so much for the great review.

    Paul R. Hewlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul- This was my first (but not my last) book by Phoebe Stone. What a wonderful read! The setting is perfect and I felt as if I traveled back in time to an earlier Maine! :) ~L

      Delete
  8. What a great review! This sounds like very interesting read. I agree with Lexa that historicals are not easy to write. I don't think I'd ever attempt one and I give authors who do a lot of credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- I give authors who write HF a lot of credit too because of the time and research they must do. The Romeo and Juliet Code is definitely an interesting read. :) ~L

      Delete
  9. Coded letters, surprises, history. Sounds like my kind of read. I haven't read it but I want to. Very nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly- I hope you get to read it soon! What a treat it is! :) ~L

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great YA read. I love books that bring the past to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate- It is a great book for MG or YA readers! It definitely brings the past to life! :) ~L

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a great book, but the cover made me think it happened during modern times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erik- It is a great book! The cover can trick you because kids today wear those shoes- but they have been around since 1917. Isn't that cool? ~L

      Delete
  12. I like the sound of this and that it's a historical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medeia- It is a fantastic read and I hope you get to read it! :) ~L

      Delete
  13. Super cute! I was wondering what Romeo and Juliet had to do with the story. I wonder why her parents had to leave... I like that there is a secret code in this story - it sounds like a really good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriana- I think this is a book you will love! It is so well written and interesting. It made me want to get in the car and stay in Maine for a week. :) The storyline is different from anything I have read before! ~L

      Delete
  14. I hadn't heard of this one but it sounds good. Cute cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherrie- It is great and I love the cover, too! :) ~L

      Delete
  15. I haven't read this one, but I love a good WWII story and this sounds really good. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meradeth- I love a good WWII story too! There is something about that time period that draws me in every time! :) ~L

      Delete
  16. I haven't read this one yet but it sounds good. The cover is very attractive. Is it possible to have a crush on a sea captain? Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudine- I love your response! I agree with you about crushes on sea captains. ;) This is a book that it written in a way that I felt I was being lulled by the words. ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget