Thursday, December 6, 2012

Top of the Heap!


Monday's Riddle blew in on a chilly breeze, and Lizzy's review of Breathing Room by Marsha Hayles took us out into the cold air of Minnesota. Friday, Margo will be chiming in with her two cents, and Saturday, we can't wait to hear from you on The DMS Wants to Know! Sunday, we have something special planned, so be sure to check back!

All four seasons are spectacular, but there is definitely something magical about wintertime. It's cold, and there are some hassles that blow in with the north wind- shoveling immediately comes to mind- BUT, there is also so much beauty and cheer that belong to the season's spirit. Today, we thought it would be fun to tell you about two fabulous winter wonderlands.

This week's top of the heap: Winter Wonderlands! 

Fairday: I can't think of anyplace more magical this time of year than the mysterious realm known as the North Pole. My favorite depiction of it is in The Polar Express. How much fun would it be to hop on the train, grab a cup of hot chocolate with whip cream, speed away to see Santa, and then receive the first gift of Christmas. It's an excellent story, and a wonderful movie. The elves are really cool, and I love how the town is set up. So, yeah Santa! I'll be waiting for that train to stop by my house this year! ~ F



Lizzy: I am completely on board with Fairday. I absolutely love The Polar Express and its imagery of the North Pole. However, I also wanted to mention the amazingly creative ice hotels out there. I have never been to one, but they are so cool. Normally, I love to be warm. But, I would definitely like to visit a hotel like this and see it for myself. I think the pictures speak for themselves! Has anyone ever visited an ice hotel? ~ L



14 comments:

  1. I do not a chilly stay in that hotel.. what if my butt freezes to the chair? I adore snow at Christmas and beyond that it can go away. If I had my way. It would snow Thanksgiving and through the holidays and melt on January 2nd. Luckily for me, I live in Oregon now and we rarely get snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi, The snow is very magical- but I agree, when you're not watching it blow around, moving it can definitely be quite a task. You would definitely need to dress properly for the ice hotel, that's for sure! Great to hear from you : ) ~ F

      Delete
  2. I also like the Polar Express - my son used to love watching it every year - it was his favourite Christmas movie! The ice hotels do look fabulous - I saw a program on tv once about the building of one - it must have been a fascinating project to work on. I think if I had to choose a winter world myself though I'd pick Narnia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, The Polar Express is a lovely story, and I would love to see the ice hotel for myself. Narnia would be absolutely amazing to visit! I need to find that magical wardrobe! Thanks so much for stopping by to share your thoughts with us : ) ~ F

      Delete
  3. I need to sit in front of the fireplace after this awesome, but chilly post ;) Winter is definitely my favorite season and I love The Polar Express, too! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheles Bells, Thanks! It was fun to put together, and Lizzy and I had a blast chatting about it! Enjoy the warmth : ) ~ F

      Delete
  4. LOVE THESE. I am SO with you ladies!!!! YES to Polar Express (hot cocoa please!)! We watch the cartoon every year and it's just as enchanting as ever. ;0) And I ADORE the idea of an ice castle hotel. So crazy and magical--the perfect Christmas adventure!

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Christine, That scene on the train always makes me was a cup of hot chocolate! Lizzy and I watch it every year too : ) Lovely to hear from you- thanks so much for stopping by! ~ F

      Delete
  5. A lovely story but I'm afraid I'm not a fan of this film as I think the characters are scary - too human to be cartoons and yet not realistic enough to be human I really don't like them.

    As for the ice hotel? Truly magical, a real winter wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Petty, Thanks so much for stopping by to share your thoughts we us. We love to hear what everyone thinks- it makes for the best conversation! The ice hotels are so magical. Always lovely to hear from you : ) ~ F

      Delete
  6. I love the book and the movie!

    When I was teaching my kids would bring robes and Jammie's to school...we would read the book and do some activities and then have hot cocoa and cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty, That sounds like so much fun! You are so cool : ) Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts with us- we love to hear from you! ~ F

      Delete
  7. Winter wonderlands. The Polar Express shows it so well. I learn something each time I watch that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- The book and movie are so amazing. Lots to learn and notice. :) ~L

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget