Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Nate Rocks the World

I am still in shock that Fairday and Lizzy are letting me do a book review on their blog. Reading is one of my favorite activities, so I am excited to share some of my thoughts with you. I hope you will enjoy a guy’s touch this week. ~ Marcus Brocket





If you have ever dreamed of another world in which you are able to magically save the day, then you will be captivated by Nate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras Toz. When Nate isn’t trying to get away from his annoying older sister, Abby, he is busy trying to dodge the awful food that his mom cooks. Luckily, he can escape with his best friend, Tommy, and his sketchbook. Drawing and daydreaming really helps him to forget any problems at hand. The story begins with the start of the school year and continues on until February break. You will get to see what life is like from a ten-year-old’s perspective-one who hates recess and isn’t a fan of sports. Nate knows he is one of the only kids who likes indoor recess, but sketching is just more fun. What will Nate do when he is paired with the biggest busybody for his science project? How will he get through Halloween and the costume his mom always insists on making him? Is there any way for Nate to get back at his sister for all the things she does to torment him? You will laugh your way through this book as you discover what an ordinary kid feels like from day to day.
This is a very fast read and it is perfect for any time that you are looking for a book you can finish in a day or two.  Nate is a typical fourth grader and he is very easy to relate to, even if you do like sports.  I think kids between the ages of 7 and 12 will love this book if they like comics, pranks, and if they sometimes feel out of place. Nate is a good main character and his experiences with his older sister and his friends help to make the story more interesting. He is someone I would want to hang out with because he is nice and interesting. I like that the book had a lot of humor and that Nate has a great imagination. I think we all like to imagine ourselves doing something really cool that other people will admire. I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading others in the series.

Has anyone else read Nate Rocks the World?  Or another book by Karen Pokras Toz?
Happy Reading!
~ M

22 comments:

  1. Great review, thanks. I'm not familiar with this author but I know my niece really enjoyed Nate's adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Petty- I am so happy that you liked the review. How awesome that your niece enoyed Nate's adventures! ~Marcus

      Delete
  2. This looks like such a fun read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly- You are welcome! Nate Rocks the World is a fun read! ~Marcus

      Delete
  3. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard a lot about it since I started blogging. It sounds darling ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisa- It is a great book and it made me laugh. ~Marcus

      Delete
  4. What a fun concept! I love books that encourage kids to play, one of the most important parts of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate- I like that the book spotlights creativity. I love to use my imagination because it can take me anywhere. ~Marcus

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Annmarie- You are welcome! It was fun to write this review. I am glad Lizzy and Fairday let me take part in their blog. ~Marcus

      Delete
  6. Brocket the Rocket! I love Halloween reads. This sounds so fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi- I love Halloween, too. I am already thinking about my costume for this year. I just hope my Halloween is better than Nate's! Thanks for stopping by. ~Brocket the Rocket

      Delete
  7. Thank you very much for the review. So glad you enjoyed reading Nate's adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen Pokras Toz- I am so happy that you liked my review. I really enjoyed Nate's adventures and I know others will too. I am looking forward to reading the next book. I also love your website! ~Marcus

      Delete
  8. I've not read this book. The review was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna- This is a fast and fun read! I am so excited that you liked my review. ~Marcus

      Delete
  9. Been away from the computer for a few days, but wanted to pop over and say "thank you" of the kind/awesome note you left on my blog the other day. Also wanted follow you in return. :) Loved your book review and looking forward to more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi E.J.- Hope you are having a great summer. I enjoyed stopping by your blog and look forward to visiting again. Thanks for following me in return. So nice to meet you! ~Jess

      Delete
  10. I haven't read it either, but it sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bish- If you read it- I hope you enjoy it! :) ~Marcus

      Delete
  11. Jess, when you said you reviewed this, I wanted to look for it, so I'm going back a few posts and commenting. Although these are stand-alone and I read NATE ROCKS THE BOAT first, I would love to read this too and become more familiar with Abby and Nate's mom's horrid cooking. I love the parts where Nate is sketching and dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara- I am glad you went back a few posts to find the review! You will definitely learn more about his mom's horrid cooking in the first book. I like that the books work as stand alone books. When Nate is sketching and dreaming it takes me right back to childhood. I can still get lost in my sketching. I look forward to reading Nate Rocks the Boat. :) ~Jess

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. We love to hear your thoughts! We had to turn on comment moderation due to a high volume of spam. Fairday's Blog is no longer accepting awards. We appreciate all the nominations that we have received and are honored to have been mentioned! Happy Reading!

Twitter Bird Gadget Twitter Bird Gadget